Control Panels

Hank

I have never had the honor of seeing a coaster's control panel. Let's start with The Beast. What kinds of things are on the panel/panels besides a start & stop button? How much REAL control does the operator have? Who, if anyone, double checks his work? Is most of it automatic?

Like I said, I don't have any clue, so your input would be greatly appreciated.

Just your Typical Allan Bradley Control Panels nothing special about them! For Example I know on the newer B&M Coasters you have a username and login name than you power up the ride and start your block testing for the day. Most easy coasters to operate are the Arrows and B&Ms!! but most of it is all Computer base after the operator pushes the button the ride runs its self!! Also Censors along the track help Detect the Speed of the train and to know ware the train is at al times as well.

Just your Typical Allan Bradley Control Panels nothing special about them! For Example I know on the newer B&M Coasters you have a username and login name than you power up the ride and start your block testing for the day. Most easy coasters to operate are the Arrows and B&Ms!! but most of it is all Computer base after the operator pushes the button the ride runs its self!! Also Censors along the track help Detect the Speed of the train and to know ware the train is at al times as well.

EDIT: Censoring myself from trouble.

• Like 1

I would imagine that control panels for coasters all have some things in common:

- the types of tasks that are performed after all are very similar no matter the coaster (unlock, lock, dispatch, e-stop)

- they likely all have switches, pushbuttons, keys for some items

How these tasks are done I'd guess is somewhat dependent upon the coaster (age, manufacturer, type) with some newer coasters using the panelview screens to control some items that older coasters used a switch for:

- think about locking/unlocking restraints. On The Beast, this feels like it is done with one button/switch for the whole train, while on Diamondback it seems like each row can be controlled independently or as a whole train with each seat displaying a lock confirmation independently on the panelview.

- I also remember someone posting a picture once of the block system display on beast (it was basically an array of LED's). I'd also imagine that this is much different on Diamondback where I'd guess there is a much more detailed graphical display to minimize confusion.

Please note, however, that this is all a guess as like some other posters in this thread, I haven't actually used one. ;)

Seriously though thanks for the picture - if anyone else has some they can share without violating any terms of employement, I'd love to see them. Thanks.

What kinds of things are on the panel/panels besides a start & stop button?

Control pannels may include wood, wires, switches, and other FUN equipment. I actually would recomend on looking at some parks (legal taken) photos of ride op booths, most are similar based on the ride type/maker.