LA Times: Top Ten Roller Coasters At Kings Island

thekidd33

Ugh the Kings Island list doesn't bother me nearly as much as the Dollywood one. I mean come on we all know it goes.

#1 Thunderhead

#1 Tennessee Tornado

#3 Wild Eagle

#4 Slidewinder

#5 Barnstormer

#6 Blazing Fury

#7 Smoky Mountain River Rampage

#8 Adventure Mountain

#9 Dare Devil Falls

#10 Dizzy Disc

Yes I meant to have two #1's just couldn't make the choice so they tied.

I don't like to criticize others for the choices that they make in identifying a top ten as it is by definition subjective and personal. To demonstrate, at KI my top 10 is broken down as follows:

- Top 3: Beast, Diamondback, Vortex

- 4-7: Firehawk, Racer, Flight Deck, BLSC

- 8-10: Woodstock Express, Flying Ace, FOF

- 11-14: AE, Invertigo, Pumpkin, Surf Dog (mainly cuz I think of it as a flat)

Bottom line, I can see a top ten without AE and FOF pretty low on the list

I will, however, criticize a lack of journalistic research and sloppy reporting if necessary.

• Like 2

^^ Ha my bad Mystery Mine slipped my mind I would actually put it at #5 and move the others below it down a notch. The fact it slipped my mind tells ya something though. It only makes the list because of the ending though. Granted I'm the same guy that put Disaster Transport over Maverick at Cedar Point as I'm convinced Maverick is the euthenasia coaster with the kill element removed.

• Like 1

The Beast has FOUR tunnels, not three; and was built by KECO, not PTC.

BLSC is a double-launched coaster, not a triple-launched coaster.

Diamondback is 230' tall, its drop is 215'. It is also just plain silly to call DB a 'hyper viper'.

Firehawk goes 51 mph, not 50 mph.

I think that's all of them, I just love to knitpick and point out these such vacuous and careless mistakes! :lol:

• Like 1

The Beast has 3 tunnels; 1- Base of first drop. 2-turn after the straight section with brakes (brake shed) 3- Double helix. Where are you getting the fourth?

Backlot Stunt Coaster is a triple-launch coaster. There is the first launch section as well as the midcourse brakes with the fire. The third one is a little more subtle, and is there to provide a little more speed just in case the MCBR launch didn't provide enough speed. It is placed right before the billboard bust-through, and you can feel and hear the train passing through. Check it out next time! I can't find a good picture. Sorry.

• Like 1

Since there is a break in the tunnel after going around the lower helix before entering the tunnel on the upper helix, I would call that two tunnels. The second tunnel past the break shed used to be two tunnels before being connected as one tunnel. Its the same logic. I never thought about this issue before, ie are there two tunnels or just one tunnel on the final helices ( If I spelled helices wrong or if I improperly categorized one helix as two, I apologize. Whew-I'm exhausted from thinking up this post.)

• Like 1

Whatever. Say what you want but in my book The Beast will always have FOUR tunnels. ^_^

Since there is a break in the tunnel after going around the lower helix before entering the tunnel on the upper helix, I would call that two tunnels. The second tunnel past the break shed used to be two tunnels before being connected as one tunnel. Its the same logic. I never thought about this issue before, ie are there two tunnels or just one tunnel on the final helices ( If I spelled helices wrong or if I improperly categorized one helix as two, I apologize. Whew-I'm exhausted from thinking up this post.)

I always kind of thought of it a tunnel on top of a tunnel, so that's why to me it's two tunnels.

I'm quite familiar with the track layout of The Beast, thank you. ;)

Yeah I know, I just thought that the video would make my post more interesting. :)

• Like 1