How much roller coasting can you take?

malem

As I was reminded when visiting KI last week, with everything but Backlot a walk-on, there is an upper limit when riding thrill rides stops being FUN. Since I couldn't find a prior poll about tolerance of quantities of coaster rides, I thought I'd start one.

So, how many times can you ride roller coaster(s) in a day before becoming uncomfortable in any way? When riding a combination of rides at KI or CP, including a mini-marathon on Diamondback or Millennium Force, my "limit" when I feel I've ridden enough is just below 30. Too many times in a row on one ride can also cause various forms of discomfort.

Cumulative rides (one day): ~28

Marathon limits (KI):

Diamondback: 6

Beast: >4 (Never tried more than 4)

Racer: >4

Vortex: 0

Flight of Fear: 1

Firehawk: >2

Invertigo: >1

Flight Deck: >2

Adventure Express: 2

Marathon limits (elsewhere):

Millennium Force, CP: >9

Mantis, CP: 0

Maverick, CP: 4

Magnum, CP: 6

Raptor, CP: 3

Voyage, HW: 1 (I think I picked bad seats)

Raven, HW: >3

Legend, HW: >3

EDIT: Note that these limits are until riding stops being comfortable. Since I generally don't ride beyond that, I can't say with any certainty how many I could handle before I absolutely had to stop. Though I know many people here have braved very large numbers of consecutive rides, I'm curious as to when it stops being "fun" - or when you start feeling worse for the wear after riding. (Even though you may want to continue riding well beyond such a limit, as any discomfort is completely worth it to you)

Opening year of the Cedar Creek Mine Ride, I was able to ride 14 times in a row - fun each time. Several of those times I was not required to exit the train as there was no one in the station! (pays to go early in the year!)

Vortex: 1

Diamondback: 3 to 6 depending on my mood

Beast: >1 (never tried to marathon this)

Flight Deck: >1 (ditto)

Backlot Stunt Coaster: >1 (ditto again)

Firehawk: 2 to 3

Flight of Fear: 2

Invertigo: 1

Adventure Express: 1, maybe 2 if I'm bored.

And last but certainly not least:

Racer: "What do you mean Coasting for Kids is over?!?"

• Like 2

i can ride rollercoasters all day but if it is a lot in a row i cant take more than 8 rides in a row. once this year i went to ki on a 100 degree day and i got to ride flight deck 8 times in a row but i was starting to get gforce head ache escpecially from looking at SoB all the time in the helix :blink: so i got off with no one in line .

I found out on the media day for Delirium that 12 times in a row without getting off were too many for that ride.

The most I ever rode a single ride in one day was Coasting for Kids this year, with 96 times. Besides some leg cramping, I was pretty good with it, and didn't ache the next day like I had expected to.

One ride on Dollywood's Lemon Twist with dare-to-fly spinning it is WAY more than I can handle. I thought I was a good spinner, but I admitted defeat. That's the only time I've ever had to sit down after getting off a ride. I found out how those little green people getting off my coasters on RCT feel!

What about these radio dj's that live on a coaster for a week or two? I've seen them - stretched-out across a row of seats with pillows, a cooler, lots of sunblock.....all for a charity (you donate to the cause and when a pre-set amount is finally received, the guy, or girl, can get off the ride).

I don't know if they still do these kinds of things - I've also seen a guy live on the Giant Wheel at CP for a week to raise funds for a charity.

I wonder if these people get sick - or just sick & tired of the ride?

As I was reminded when visiting KI last week, with everything but Backlot a walk-on, there is an upper limit when riding thrill rides stops being FUN. Since I couldn't find a prior poll about tolerance of quantities of coaster rides, I thought I'd start one.

So, how many times can you ride roller coaster(s) in a day before becoming uncomfortable in any way? When riding a combination of rides at KI or CP, including a mini-marathon on Diamondback or Millennium Force, my "limit" when I feel I've ridden enough is just below 30. Too many times in a row on one ride can also cause various forms of discomfort.

Cumulative rides (one day): ~28

Marathon limits (KI):

Diamondback: 6

Beast: >4 (Never tried more than 4)

Racer: >4

Vortex: 0

Flight of Fear: 1

Firehawk: >2

Invertigo: >1

Flight Deck: >2

Adventure Express: 2

Marathon limits (elsewhere):

Millennium Force, CP: >9

Mantis, CP: 0

Maverick, CP: 4

Magnum, CP: 6

Raptor, CP: 3

Voyage, HW: 1 (I think I picked bad seats)

Raven, HW: >3

Legend, HW: >3

EDIT: Note that these limits are until riding stops being comfortable. Since I generally don't ride beyond that, I can't say with any certainty how many I could handle before I absolutely had to stop. Though I know many people here have braved very large numbers of consecutive rides, I'm curious as to when it stops being "fun" - or when you start feeling worse for the wear after riding. (Even though you may want to continue riding well beyond such a limit, as any discomfort is completely worth it to you)

This just about sums it up for me at KI, except that I'm not a big fan of Firehawk, and Flight Deck isn't that much of a problem. As an older rider (I posted previously that August 25th marked my first KI visit 38 years ago), my body just can't tolerate the rough rides like it could before. My highest coaster total was back in 1997 on a drizzly day when my cousin and I rode the KI coasters a total of 40 times. Luckily the motel that we stayed at had a whirlpool for our use. We're going to be at KI on Labor Day but it looks like the weather forecast is going to be a big factor in ride time.

Mike B.

way less than most of you guys I am sure. As I have gotten older I find I have to pace myself. 3 or 4 rides in a row on anything (or different rides) and I need a little break. Also I am learning that B&M inverts and me do not get along too well...Raptor took me out of commission for about an hour afterwards and I can not say I enjoy the Batman's at all.

My marathon:

Diamondback - 26

Beast - 18

Racer - 25

Flightdeck - 18

Son of Beast - 12

Flight of Fear -10

Millennium Force - 10

Magnum - 36

Raptor - 20

Gemini - 12

Silver Bullet - 12

Ghostrider - 26

Xcelerator - 54 (All time for coasters)

Intimidator - 24

Afterburn -15

Intimidator 305 - 15

Rebel Yell - 20

Grizzly - 10

Bizarro (SFNE) - 16

Shivering Timbers - 10

Raging Bull - 10

Renegade - 10

Montu - 10

Leviathan - 12

Behemoth - 10

Honorable Mention - Drop Tower - 68

I can ride most coasters as many times as I feel like it, but I usually can't go more than once or twice in a row on Vortex or The Beast anymore. Didn't bother me as much when I was a teenager, but now even in my mid-twenties I don't love the headache I tend to get from them.

For me, I don't necessarily have limits, but the rides with the most consecutive rides I've managed to do (I can do a bigger number in the future) are as follows:

Vortex: 13 18

(and I STILL felt fine! Maybe its 'cause of younger age)

Diamondback: 10

Viper (DL): 10

Loch Ness Monster: 6 (it was crowded at BGW the day I went there)

Like I said before, it is pretty likely that I may surpass those records of mine in the future (or at least attempt to) :rolleyes:

Edited by VortexBFForever
  • Like 2

Diamondback - I got like 7 at ERT one time. I could do much more..

The Beast - Most i've done was 5 on the ERT week when Diamondback had 'Routine Maintence". I could do much more.

Drop Tower - Forever. Ok, maybe 200 or so.

Flight of Fear - Probably only 5 or so.

Racer - Got 103 in at CFK. Felt like I could go on and on.

Firehawk - It's almost impossible to marathon this.

Invertigo - Maybe 3

Vortex - I did 2 last night without getting off. I could do more but it was time for a Beast night ride.

Flight Deck - Back in the day I stayed on about 4 times in a row without getting off with my dad. Could do FD for awhile.

Delirium - 2 tops

Adventure Express - I could forever but I would get bored.

Ect...

• Like 2

i did Adventure Express 5 times in a row. It gets boring and more rougher fast.

What?! Ride in the middle of a car, then it won't get rough. As for the boring aspect, it doesn't exist.

I marathoned Adventure Express last night 4 times (adding to my grand total of 7 the entire day--the park was DEAD!), and I was totally blown away by it. There are green lights from the station to the first tunnel (tunnel 1 is still dark), there are white and green lights in tunnel 2, lift one has green, red, and violet lights, the ruins have amber lights coming up from under the track, and tunnel 3 has multitudes upon multitudes of red lights.

Tunnel 4 had more in store. Upon entering the tunnel, you find white lights beaming down from the ceiling, illuminating the tiki masks that have not been visible for years (without looking specifically for them). You round the curve and engage in the lift sequence. The tunnel was very bright, except for a row of tiki men not lit. Bubba even had his eyes on before we could see him, rather than turning them on awkwardly in plain sight. His lava drippy-downy thing was even synchronized with the first car!

When you drop down the minuscule descent, you notice a sequence of amber, red, and green lights illuminating the "rock" walls from below. Once you enter the dead track in the tunnel, you notice the fast-paced sequence of lights changing gradually to reds and greens.

Adventure Express is a great ride during the day, but at night is when it shows its true colors. Definitely check out this great ride at night.

PS: Flight of Fear has had numerous changes, as well. The outside saucer lights are exactly like 2011, the spinning light above hangar entry has been fixed, and there are a lot more lights in the bowl.

I marathoned Adventure Express last night 4 times (adding to my grand total of 7 the entire day--the park was DEAD!), and I was totally blown away by it. There are green lights from the station to the first tunnel (tunnel 1 is still dark), there are white and green lights in tunnel 2, lift one has green, red, and violet lights, the ruins have amber lights coming up from under the track, and tunnel 3 has multitudes upon multitudes of red lights.

Tunnel 4 had more in store. Upon entering the tunnel, you find white lights beaming down from the ceiling, illuminating the tiki masks that have not been visible for years (without looking specifically for them). You found the curve and engage in the lift sequence. The tunnel was very bright, except for a row of tiki men not lit. Bubba even had his eyes on before we could see him, rather than turning them on awkwardly in plain sight. His lava drippy-downy thing was even synchronized with the first car!

When you drop down the minuscule descent, you notice a sequence of amber, red, and green lights illuminating the "rock" walls from below. Once you enter the dead track in the tunnel, you notice the fast-paced sequence of lights changing gradually to reds and greens.

Adventure Express is a great ride during the day, but at night is when it shows its true colors. Definitely check out this great ride at night.

All of this makes me very, very happy. The last time I visited KI, even less theming than usual was working, and I swear on my pass there was a flat spot on the wheel I was riding above in the last car. Sounds like they've given my favorite KI coaster some love it was needing. And yes, Adventure Express is a wonderful night ride--especially during Haunt!

I've never seen (or at least noticed) green lights between the station and first tunnel. I do hope the lights you noticed on the second lift aren't just the emergency floodlights that occasionally get left on, because with the way the lights (until my recent visits, anyway) were being repaired, it was doing the ride wonders.

I think I've officially descended into AE fanboyism. :lol:

• Like 3

I think im the only one on here to ever marathon Firehawk. It was at the time the fireworks were coming off and we rode it and then we asked if we could ride it again. The ride op was nice and said yes(there was no line to that side of the station) Anyone can beat that?