Stuff left in the station

SOB/Gun Steve-O

I know that most of the people who post here are either ACErs or similar and probably know this, but I think its worth mentioning.

PKI and the ride ops are not responsible for stuff you leave with us when you ride. It is impossible for us to keep track of who owns what with the other stuff happening on the ride. SOB has had a LOT of theft reports the last few days. Most of the lost items are purses, backpacks, those bag things that girls wear on their back a lot (I don't know what they are called), even eyeglasses seem to have gone missing a lot lately.

In light of this, I would recommend first of all that you not bring valuables to the park with you.

Now I realize that this is impossible in some cases. If at all possible, take it on the ride with you, especially at coasters, where someone on another train could quite easily swipe your stuff. If you put the stuff on the floor of the car and wrap the strap(s) around your legs, that will be more than enough security for just about everything. At rides like Face/Off, AT, or other "flat" rides that don't cycle more than one at the same time and when you can put your stuff right next to your seat, this may not entirely be neccessary. But personally, I think that it's still a good idea.

In the event you do lose something, inform the ride op immediately so we can call security and file a report if possible.

In the event that you forget to take something with you when you leave a ride and come back to get it, be prepared to identify it very clearly. One of the most common ways stuff gets stolen is when people come back and say that something in the station is theirs. If you run into me especially, I'll probably ask you whats in it, and then make you show it to me.

I have noticed that theft is a lot more prevalent on crowded days, since you're less likely to be caught and/or found, I guess. Seeing as how Nights of Fire is this weekend, Spirit Song the next, and then Timberwolf firing up, I just thought this would be good to mention it. Just like the saftey stuff many online ride ops (myself included) shove down people's throats here, I think this is basically a case of "DON'T CHECK YOUR BRAIN AT THE GATE!"

Hehe this is true Pat.

You also forgot to mention that if any bag has money in it, the ops are not supposed to hold onto it. The rider has to take the money out of the bag and hold it, or ride with the bag. BAD RIDE OPS FOR NOT DOING THIS!

The biggest places for thefts from rides in the park at The Beast, Vortex and Son of Beast. These are convenient locations for thefts because of the restrooms right out of the rides and the garbage cans all around. We are not responsible for lost or stolen articles, but I can see where you can get upset. You must understand that you shouldn't leave expensive things alone, and if you have a lot of cash, carry it on you! If that means buying something that goes around your neck and you can wear under a shirt, or buying a belt with a "secret" zipper compartment inside of it, or some other way of carrying cash, then do it!

Most of the time the bags/purses are recovered with only the cash missing. Reports are really only good if something like travelers checks and credit cards or insured items like some cell phones, cameras, ect. Check with your provider if you have insurance or check with your home insurance to see if you are covered for theft of articles while on vacation. These items, because of fraud or the possibility of being reimbursed from insurance, require a police report. Our police reports can be used in those cases. Unfortunately if only cash is missing the only thing on really can do is report it to us so that we can keep track of the thefts.

Just be smart about your stuff. If there is a compartment to place your items in, like in The Beast station, then put your bags in those compartments. Don't just toss it on the ground or place it on top of the compartments. Anything placed on top of the compartment can be walked off with by someone walking on the exit, the same with anything placed on the floor next to the exit if it's small enough to be squeezed through the railing.

Ride Ops: Make sure you are using the compartments if you have them! I have been in The Beast station many times and no one has been using the compartments. If they are in your ride, then you should be using them! This will help cut down on some of the thefts.

laugh.gif Some time last year my mom could not find her bag at The Beast, we thought someone took it... (It had a purse with credit cards and about 300 cash in it.) An op named Dan helped us out. It turns out the bag was moved to one of the lower shelves. I guess someone could have taken it by mistake and then brought it back... blink.gif

my friend had one of her little backpack girly things stolen on Vortex with like $2 in it (don't ask..lol) but PKI reimbursed that amount for her and found the backpack in a bathroom close to The Vortex later on.

i personally have never had any problems with stuff being stolen because i hold on to everything (always stick my digi cam in my pocket) so yea if you can hold onto your items do so. it's not all that likely that your stuff will be taken but it's even less likely if you're holding it. rolleyes.gif

Because I often go to PKI and other parks alone, I usually wear cargo-style pants and shorts so I can keep everything, including my expensive digital camera, cell phone, my wallet, and other stuff in my pockets. Sometimes I can even squeeze a hat in my large cargo pockets.

PKI is one of the more "liberal" parks when it comes to leaving articles in the station. They'll let you leave just about anything, except purses, wallets, and anything with money. However, Cedar Point, for example, is more strict because they won't let you leave anything in the station - this reduces the park's liability even further, even though they weren't resopnsible for loose articles in the first place. This is one reason why several rides at CP have lockers near them, so guests can store their bags and other valuables for $1 or less per use.

PKI is one of the more "liberal" parks when it comes to leaving articles in the station. They'll let you leave just about anything, except purses, wallets, and anything with money. However, Cedar Point, for example, is more strict because they won't let you leave anything in the station - this reduces the park's liability even further, even though they weren't resopnsible for loose articles in the first place.

OK, now I've never been to Sandusky (or any other major amusement park for that matter) so I don't know how folks there deal with it, but if we kept people from leaving anything in the station, man would the crap hit the fan.

Cedar Point is not particularly close to any large city, so I'm guessing that they don't have too many regular visitors (and this is just speculation mind you). PKI is within 20 minutes of Downtown Cincy, is located within one of the biggest suburban-sprawl areas in Ohio, and is less than an hour from Dayton. There are no shortage of people who visit PKI very regularly. They come just because its close. They are very used to our policies. If they changed, they would riot. Seriously. They would.

Cedar Point has many frequent visitors, and Sandusky is alot bigger than you may think. Also it is dead in the middle of two major cities, Cleveland along with Toledo. I met alot of people up there that live in Toledo that have season passes and visit quite often.

Cedar Point does let you leave certain stuff in the station, just not bigger objects. Such as bags, basketballs, and the other big things people have. If you have those and you want to ride, it's either get a locker, or too bad. The greeters stopping them are nice as it makes the line shorter, and saves boarding time from people running to the places to put their objects in.

And this Tanner, is why, PKI is a family park, and CP is ACER paradise you cant compare the 2, so please dont try too. CP isnt better than PKI or PKI isnt better than CP. Its apples and oranges you cant do it. CP is all coasters and nothing else. PKI is coasters, flats, waterpark, and kids area. So if your gonna say one should be like the other its CP should be like PKI. We have everything they dont, and as far as employees and cleanliness goes from what i have heard from some friends that do work at the park and those that dont they all say the same thing. The rides were good the park was nasty and the employees were rude. One employee told a friend of mine to " Get the f_ck in a seat lady". I have never been though so like you said everyones experiances are different, maybe you were at CP on a good day and at PKI on bad days. But from what i have heard and experianced what you said is a complete opposite

One possible solution for items left on coasters would be to have three different sets of shelves, one for each train. The the ride ops could tell if someone grabbed an item that clearly wasn't theirs. Of course, people have the IQs of carpet samples and putting something on a shelf that has a number on it which happens to be the same numbers as printed on the side of the train is far too lofty a concept for a lot of people.... epecially the basket ball bouncers. biggrin.gif

• 2 months later...

Sorry to resurrect an old post, but I had a funny story about this. I almost had my pants stolen at PKI! No seriously! I was at Boomerang Bay, and I had my swim shorts on, and I was in the bathroom there where the locker rental is, and I put my pants on the counter next to the sink I was washing my hands in, and some kid came and took them and walked off with them! It had my wallet and car keys in it. I ran after them, and took them back. I wasnt polite about it, and the kid didnt argue. I guess I should have told security or something, but I didnt. I just ran after him, grabbed the pants and yanked them away from him. He got all upset, but didnt argue that they were his or anything. Just turned and walked away. I was just glad to get my wallet and keys back, and I was pretty happy to get my pants back too, but I didnt really need them cause I could have just worn my swim shorts. But still, who the heck steals pants? laugh.gif