2012 Halloween Haunt Lineup Announced!

It's time once again for the leaves to begin to fall from the trees, the sun to set earlier, and for zombies, freaks, psychopaths and monsters to again occupy our favorite family-friendly summer hangout. That's right - it's time for Halloween Haunt!

New attractions include:

Madame Fatale's Cavern of Terror - Madame Fatale is finally free! She just passed her final psychological exam and she's finally being released! She's looking forward to going back to work. In honor of the reopening of her museum of wax and oddities, she's put you on the guest list... and all of her friends will be dripping mad!

Blood Drums - A new show in Action Zone in which you will feel the pulsating power of rapturous misfit drummers in this percussive blood bath of rhythm and music! It's a punk rock stomp!

Returning attractions include such bloody favorites as Cut Throat Cove, The Slaughter House, Club Blood, and the smash-hit vampire musical revue Hot Blooded!

Is blood and guts not your thing? You can enjoy some of Kings Island's major attractions into the late hours of the night during Haunt! Attractions such as Diamondback, The Vortex, Adventure Express and the legendary Beast will be open until 1 am on Friday and Saturday nights during Halloween Haunt!

For tickets, hours, direction, and some pretty messed up imagery, check out Halloween Haunt's 2012 web site at the address below: visitkingsisland.com/haunt2012

• Like 2

A look at the 2012 Haunt season map:

map.jpg

Glad they finally decided to annex the fear zones as part of the attractions list, bumping the total to a whopping 19. Curious as to what Grimm Blvd and the new-ish version of Nightmare Alley will look like (I'm assuming the old NA is being renamed Freak Street). Also, how are they going to handle the potential threat of congestion/clashing lines from Cavern and Terrortory, as the former is the new attraction, and the latter deals with loading and unloading times from the train longer than Firehawk?

^Tombstone does not have any kind of turnstiles, so that is a main reason it congests the midways (just a guess). This is not a problem with The Crypt. Keep in mind that The Crypt's former queue has an extensive indoor queue, as well as 2 long switchbacks outside the cave enterance. Granted, it will not swallow up all Saturday night lines, but it should help considerably.

^Tombstone does not have any kind of turnstiles, so that is a main reason it congests the midways (just a guess). This is not a problem with The Crypt. Keep in mind that The Crypt's former queue has an extensive indoor queue, as well as 2 long switchbacks outside the cave enterance. Granted, it will not swallow up all Saturday night lines, but it should help considerably.

That's implying the indoor queue will be used AS a queue and not actually part of the attraction itself. I don't really believe they'll squander what is essentially the best scenic detail ever created at the park for a haunted house by using it as a queue line.

Also, Tombstone does have turnstiles/switchbacks, just outside the main entrance to the train station. It's just the problem of the trains themselves taking so long to load and unload, and the length of time it takes to come back to the main station after dropping people off by WWC (which is barely a quarter of the way into the normal circuit). I would love to see them construct a new rail line that cuts through the field right by the train storage house just to make the route shorter, as the train then wouldn't have to go all the way to the fort/Soak City station and back.

Guest TombraiderTy

^That queue, based off some quick Google Earth measurements, is approximately 500 feet from entrance to preshow (including use of antechamber switchbacks). That's equivalent to the second half of Diamondback's queue (including stairs). I'd hope they utilize it, or else the Rivertown midways will be a nightmare... and not the kind of nightmare you attend Haunt hoping for.

Tombstone Terror-tory does indeed have switchbacks, but only a few small rows. I've never understood why the park doesn't temporarily clear all the nearby tables (outside Rivertown Potato Works) and place a large queue there - it'd clear up a lot of the congestion and make things more organized. Below, this is how Universal set-up the queue for their Wolfman haunted house back in 2009. Something similar seems ideal for Tombstone.

pFnOT.jpg

Wow I would hate to stand in that line. That looks like the wait woudl be forever.

If Halloween Horror Nights pulsed their line like Haunt does (sending people into groups), the wait WOULD be forever, reaching well past 4 hours. As it stands, the average maze at HHN has a wait of roughly two hours, and that's with a continuous line of people walking through the house.

They can't clear out the tables because of Potato Works right next door. And they can't extend the other direction because they'd be blocking the exit to Terrortory itself which is a fire and safety hazard. There could be a possibility of using the grassy knoll in front of Crypt's cave and installing those nets to catch loose objects above the temporary queue line (for the Crypt haunt). It's not like it isn't feasible; Knott's has a maze that literally goes underneath Xcelerator at several points.

Guest TombraiderTy

^They can't clear out the tables because of Potato Works? They clear out all of Action Stunt Crew Grill for Slaughterhouse. If they wanted to close Potato Works and expand Tombstone's line, they definitely have the option.

• Like 2

I don't think you realize how popular Potato Works is in Rivertown. Prior to it being used for Slaughterhouse, Stunt Crew Grill barely stayed open in the post-season. Plus, having an eatery that's right next to a queue line for a haunted house (now two with Cavern) is an excellent sales opportunity as people get hungry/thirsty while waiting in line.

Now I don't recall how crowded the seating is for Works during Haunt, but if push comes to shove, then you are, in fact, right about at least clearing the tables for Tombstone. Peeps just have to sit elsewhere (there's still all the seating behind Rivertown Funnel Cakes).

• Like 1

That's implying the indoor queue will be used AS a queue and not actually part of the attraction itself. I don't really believe they'll squander what is essentially the best scenic detail ever created at the park for a haunted house by using it as a queue line.

I doubt Cedar Fair will waste queue space, especially with the draw Halloween Haunt brings. I expect them to use all the available queues. Plus, what exactly would you use the narrow corridor that holds the line for anyways? I believe everything will take place in the former ride chamber.

I really do hope Cedar Fair will be able to reuse the lighting from The Crypt. You can even loop the same program used in 2011! Having an open-air Haunt in a dark building with sporadic flashing lights overhead, all the while creating eerie shadows? Count me in! :wub:

FanofFirehawk, if you're talking about the cave and expedition ruins, they could easily slap a new story on them and reuse the props.

You walk into a cave, the home of wax figurines and sideshow oddities. You look around yourself, waiting until it is your turn to see the excitement for yourself. Look around, darkness. It is apparent the cave has seen better days. Cobwebs are everywhere, strung around the now-visible support beams supporting the cracking, structurally unstable cavern ceiling. You even find broken wax moldings and torture devices scattered around the base of the walls, surrounded by rubble, lit by an eerie red glow.

You enter an open area, flanked on both sides by aged, daunting wax figurines. At the head of the room, you find a partially boarded up wall, ripped open from the inside. Once past the boarded wall, you come face to face with Madame Fatale herself, welcoming you to her Cavern of Terror. She explains the backstory of how she came in to the business, and she sends you on your way.

Now, that was a bit over explanitory, but my point is, with a few minor prop switchouts, you can in essence utilize the same theatrical props.

• Like 5

Will they use they old Crypt enterance because I have a hard time figuring out how that will fit in the early part of the theme maybe later but not for the very beginning.

Just by the description alone, it sounds as if they're going for an old-school tourist trap or boardwalk attraction of days past:

big_klinna.jpg

643660392_ydx8S-XL_large.jpg

A uniquely-themed facade overlooking the midway enticing passersby to enter. Same concept can be used for the Crypt's entrance.

I don't think you realize how popular Potato Works is in Rivertown. Prior to it being used for Slaughterhouse, Stunt Crew Grill barely stayed open in the post-season.

From my observations this year, Stunt Crew Grill was barely open in-season.

I am personally anticipating eating some Rivertown fries during the cool weather, they seem to be even better when it isn't over 30 degrees(86F) outside.

Will they use they old Crypt enterance because I have a hard time figuring out how that will fit in the early part of the theme maybe later but not for the very beginning.

A uniquely-themed facade overlooking the midway enticing passersby to enter. Same concept can be used for the Crypt's entrance.

Isn't there already a façade to the building? The cave mouth surrounded by overgrowth, lit by lanterns casting eerie shadows, is enough in my opinion.

If they were to set up a façade, it would already be set up at this point (see Massacre Manor). If not, at the very least, we would start to see brush being trimmed back to make way. I doubt we will be seeing a new front end being put on The Crypt--er, the house of scary wax stuff.

^I'd hate to be NEAR the joint!

Eden Musee has had extensive work taking place. Picture via Cedar Point's Instagram

Makes me wonder if we will see something similar, or perhaps, and quite the longshot, a facelift on Durga? Almost certainly not, just throwing that out there. Looking at the picture again, it looks like it is on a smaller scale, nothing to the extent of the goddess. Carry on. But I also like the screw in the mouth. :rolleyes: