Windseeker ride malfunction strands Knott's visitors

With today's advanced computers and mechanical marvels, WHY does it take 3 hours to crank down what I guess is a basic wench mechanism? Snowwoman said she would have to see 3 monkeys (not just 1) flying out of my butt before she gets on that thing again. Me too! Not the 3 monkeys thing, I just won't ride it again.

More than three hours to get the riders off the ride.

Quite frankly, these stops are happening far too frequently, the evacuations are taking far too long.

This is simply not acceptable.

Were I CEO, I'd strongly be considering removing these rides and filing suit against the manufacturer.

It was on the Todays show this morning Al the Weather man Quote "Law suit Seeker" Id be shocked to see if the other 5 are going to Operate this weekend!! If i were in control id be on the phone with Mondial.

Also Carowinds has had the Same Prop as well!!

http://www.wsoctv.com/news/news/local/WindSeeker-malfunctions-carowinds-riders-stuck-air/nPs9J/

^^ I don't know the exact details of how WS works, but I believe the explanation of why it take 3 hours is a "standard" homing out issue:

When a malfunction occurs, the machine needs to be reset manually. Certain things need to occur for the machine to reset & for auto cycle to be restored. In this case, WS needs to complete it's cycle to the top manually, engage a safety (or process) switch, and then manually lowered- and when using a hand crank, for a device that is 300' in the air, and weighs quite a bit, it is gonna take a good amount of time.

It's gonna sound funny, but I am led to believe this entire process is in the spirit of safety. Hopefully, these occurances will be solved in the near future (I give it one year) for the process to be improved where it does not take as long to reset. If not, I can't imagine these rides surviving.

It also would not surprise me to hear about lawsuits being filed in the hopes of taking the blame of these incidents off the shoulders of the parks and pinning it on the manufacturer, but even that course of action is a double edged sword for the park(s).

• Like 2

It's gonna sound funny, but I am led to believe this entire process is in the spirit of safety.

3+ hours to evacuate is not safe. Just imagine if someone had a heart attack when the ride stopped, or if someone particularly sensitive to sun exposure was riding. When (if?) I ride a WindSeeker again, I'll definitely make sure I've had enough to drink and am wearing sunscreen as appropriate. Getting stuck up there at midday could cause quite a sunburn.

I think it's pretty safe at this point to assume that the unannounced Cedar Fair 2013 capital expenditures will not include more WindSeekers.

Wow! Again. I hope the guest at least got free admission to a day and park of their choosing. Three hours is a big portion of the day. Plus these rides just seem like big peices of crap. I wonder how Six Flag's star fliers are working.

They need a lot more than a free admission if Cedar Fair hopes to ever see them again. They've had a day of their trip ruined, and admission is far from being the only cost involved. At a minimum, they should be reimbursed for all costs associated with their visit, including gasoline and any lodging. If I were the park's GM, they'd also be getting platinum passes and a one-day ticket to Disneyland.

• Like 1

I'll definitely make sure I've had enough to drink and am wearing sunscreen as appropriate. Getting stuck up there at midday could cause quite a sunburn.

Getting stuck up there for 3 hours after making sure you've had enough to drink could cause a whole different problem. You might join the group "The Soggy Bottom Boys"!

• Like 1

3 hours to evacuate is not safe. Just imagine if someone had a heart attack when the ride stopped, or if someone particularly sensitive to sun exposure was riding. When (if?) I ride a WindSeeker again, I'll definitely make sure I've had enough to drink and am wearing sunscreen as appropriate. Getting stuck up there at midday could cause quite a sunburn.

You are absolutely correct and I'm willing to bet those are EXACTLY the biggest concerns for CF when discussions with Mondial have occured.

When it comes to safety procedures, what appears to have no rhyme or reason on the surface always has a significant reason underneath. An example off the top of my head: Material Safety Data Sheets (MSDS) are required per OSHA for most businesses. Normally, MSDS training occurs when you are first hired, and quickly forgotten. MSDS will explain in EXTREME detail the hazards of the material/ solution. Water (H2O) has an MSDS. It would seem crazy on the surface that water could be considered life threatening or hazardous, but it can be as it could react with another solution and become a hazardous situation.

That maybe a bad example, but the point is, they don't come up with a procedure just for the sake of coming up with a procedure. There is a method to the madness when it comes to safety, even if the procedure appears crazy.

Yea, yelling down the tower. Even if they could communicate, chances are the park(whether it be KI, Knotts, Carowinds, etc is doing the best to get riders safely but quickly to the ground. It ain't like they are all standing around scratching their butts with their wrenches while saying "What now?; I don't know; call them people in Germany; they made the thing." Besides amusement parks do say "Ride at your own risk."

Besides amusement parks do say "Ride at your own risk."

At what point does that disclaimer become irrelevant?

Is it meant for unique issues normally not caused by the park or is meant for a known issue that continues to happen?

Please use Son of Beast as an example when asking the question.....

Correct, a sign does not constitute an agreement itself in any event however for Season Pass holders if user of the signs the back of the pass, that does constitute an agreement. Admission tickets say that the holder assumes all risk of personal injury. Yes, I know the words on a ticket will not stand up in court however a season says holder must obey all posted signs and policies. Also, the incorrect country of manufacture was on purpose.

Correct, a sign does not constitute an agreement itself in any event however for Season Pass holders if user of the signs the back of the pass, that does constitute an agreement. Admission tickets say that the holder assumes all risk of personal injury. Yes, I know the words on a ticket will not stand up in court however a season says holder must obey all posted signs and policies. Also, the incorrect country of manufacture was on purpose.

And how does a so-called release of liability release a park and/or manufacturer from duties of care and/or from their own acts of negligence or acts of omission or commission? The courts have uniformly held that it is against public policy to enforce such a release in such situations. As between a rider and a park/ride manufacturer, the latter is best positioned to ensure reasonable ride safety. Not to mention those riders who may be too young or infirm to consent to such a release.

Terp, who notes in passing there is no legal advice contained herein. Consult a competent attorney in your jurisdiction should you have, or think you may have, a legal problem. The author is not engaged in the private practice of law in Georgia, California or any other United State. Disclaimers are painful, but necessary. This has been a service of your friendly but not local Interpreter.

• Like 1

Im just thinking what is someone was diabtic on the ride and they needed thier insulain? Do the riders even have away of communicating to the people on the ground?

Thats exactly what my dad and I brought up this morning while watching the news. Im a Type 1 diabetic and I could not imagine being up there while having a low sugar. In my eyes, that is the biggest problem with these malfunctions, what could happen to people while being up there. I hope they get this fixed soon!

• Like 2

Terp, who notes in passing there is no legal advice contained herein. Consult a competent attorney in your jurisdiction should you have, or think you may have, a legal problem. The author is not engaged in the private practice of law in Georgia, California or any other United State. Disclaimers are painful, but necessary. This has been a service of your friendly but not local Interpreter.

Any particular reason you listed California there?

Also Carowinds has had the Same Prop as well!!

http://www.wsoctv.co...tuck-air/nPs9J/

The riders were making a huge deal of being 30 feet off the ground? I know it would really suck to be stuck there, but I don't know why you'd be afraid to be stuck at 30 feet when you chose to ride something 300 feet tall.

Edit- Turns out later in the video they started at 300, my bad.

well even if you are stuck 30 feet off the ground for 3 hours is slightly different than being up at 300 feet for a few mins...

plus what would you prefer? to be 300 feet up on a functioning ride or 30 feet up on a ride thats broke? maybe its just me but i freak out when i cant move anymore..

When I would go rock climbing and rappelling it was no big deal to go up 50 feet or higher. However, when my buddies would lock me off about 25 feet up where i couldnt go up or down... it was a frightening experience.