Windseeker ride malfunction strands Knott's visitors

I guess the evac thing is better than nothing but it does seem it would take a long time to evac a full ride. So much time that the previous method could be of comparable timing. On a windy day it seems they would have to catch the seats in order to get them inside the cage I imagine they wouldn't use this method in windy conditions though.

• Like 3

Maybe it's a "pay extra" option to ride this while on WindSeeker?. You never know with Cedar Fair. WAIT - I forgot - there's new management.

Sorry.

(Geez - I hope they don't read this or it will become reality!)

• Like 2

I guess the evac thing is better than nothing but it does seem it would take a long time to evac a full ride. So much time that the previous method could be of comparable timing. On a windy day it seems they would have to catch the seats in order to get them inside the cage I imagine they wouldn't use this method in windy conditions though.

An evac is going to take at least 2 hours if not more or major attractions. Having been trained on evacuation proceedures and doing so once, it takes a while. Especially if it is at any extreme height. To evacuate 2 of the coaster trains out of the 3 total, is rough. Starting at the front car of a train, releasing restraints manually then assisting guests out of their seats, waiting for all guests of that car to be off of the train, get them strapped into the safety evac system (harness and tied onto the rope/rail), walking them slowly down the stairs (whether it's from the lift, midcourse, etc.), get their info in case they need to be contacted or they contact the park, then walk back up the stairs and repeat the process. Can take a long time.

So I can only imagine the WindSeeker evac, with what looks to be a evac of 4 total riders (two rows on opposite sides of the gondola) at a time.

• Like 5

This takes the cake,count me out. It was a nice,relaxing ride but if you cant manually lower me to the ground,then I dont trust it and im not waiting all day 300ft in the air for some contraption to be put together to come get me and my family to safety.Besides,I dont want to be up there listening to everyone freaking out for hours,been there done that.

I figure it takes WS a minute to get to the top under normal power, my guess is 5 minutes per cycle(up to 4 riders) times doing it 16 times. Thats already over an hour and that doesnt factor in setting up the rig, and all the other factors to get to the actual point of an evac. My guess is it will still take around 2 hours to evac WS. Having this theory, I will still ride WS.

According to the Pointbuzz offseason tour, Cedar Point's WindSeeker will have the same evacuation contraption as Knotts does. They expect it to open with the park in May.

I'm going to assume Kings Island will get the same thing, but I have no idea if it will be ready or not by opening day.

• Like 4

If you think about it, without the evacuation system, WindSeeker is a Tower of Terror.....

Great to see the improvements coming to a few confirmed parks, I hope it comes to more.

• 2 weeks later...