Vortex Restraints

Xx2cansamxX

I'll take a swing at this and go with one thing: Money

Vortex is the oldest steel coaster in the park, and while it always draws a considerable number of guests per day, I don't think those number merit new trains. I'm sure it would be possible for new trains to be made (either by Premier or Vekoma) but I just don't think it would be worth it for the park.

Well they're not going to add lapbars. It would be hard with the design of the trains if it's even possible.

I don't really understand why people complain as it's really smooth for me, but of course my head sticks up over the restraints. Of course I understand because the short people like SOB and don't like Vortex, while I like Vortex, but not SOB.

Bring some Advil, Tylenol, Aleve, or even some generic brand from the Dollar Store and you'll be just fine.

I forgot to add in that SOB hurts people alot more, and they haven't invested in improvements that seem to help it that much.

Just an update... I decided to try and give Vortex another try yesterday, yea i got another cut in my jaw from the same turn and everything.... its the turn right after this first lift, if im not mistaking...my head yet again jerked to the side and what do you know i came off the ride again last nite with blood in my mouth... I figured i would try it one more time in a different seat or whatever, but Vortex never again

Something I do with all OTSR on Coasters, is stick my head out past the restraints when going through corkscrews, corners, or anything that will jar your head. This helps immensely for me, instead of hitting my head on the restraints it is usually absorbed through my shoulders. While it doesn't prevent any pain, it's definately better then your head.

It works great for me on all Arrow Loopers I have ridden, as well as Togo Standups. Even a ride like Mantis at CP, which many people feel is impossible to get off without hitting your head, I was able to do it through the second half of the ride with no pain.

Now if I could only figure out a way to go through a Vekoma SLC without feeling I went twelve rounds with Mike Tyson. tongue.gif

Well they're not going to add lapbars. It would be hard with the design of the trains if it's even possible.

I don't really understand why people complain as it's really smooth for me, but of course my head sticks up over the restraints. Of course I understand because the short people like SOB and don't like Vortex, while I like Vortex, but not SOB.

I forgot to add in that SOB hurts people alot more, and they haven't invested in improvements that seem to help it that much.

It wouldn't be possible to add lap bars with the current trains, that is why new trains would be needed. I know that Vekoma offers new trains for their older coasters (whether or not they have lap bars, I do not know) but I'm sure Premier could come through if Vekoma was unable to take up the project.

At 5'11'', both Vortex and Son of Beast are very comfortable for me, but I do remember what it was like to ride Vortex when I was shorter, and that ride was murder. I loved it for some reason, but it was quite painful before I learned how to ride it, and before I went through my growth spurt. I can understand how anyone taller than me wouldn't be able to ride Son of Beast too. Considering the General Public does not know how to "ride" a coaster so that it isn't painful, new trains wouldn't hurt. They might not make the ride as popular as Flight of Fear, but they wouldn't hurt. (No pun intended)

I disagree about Paramount not investing in modifications that improve Son of Beast. The new restraint system, the [almost] complete re-tracking of the entire ride, and the support modifications have made Son of Beast MUCH more enjoyable than when it first opened. There is also the fact that Jeffery Siebet mentioned at BeastBuzz that the ride still doesn't meet PKI guest standards, and will be finished for the 2005 season. For taller guests, the ride may still be painful, which would probably require new trains to fix, but I can't see how it could still be as bad as when SOB opened in 2000.

At the bottom of the first helix (which I believe Jeff called the "Rose Bowl") he mentioned that the structure there had been beefed up to twice the amount of supports that had been with the ride when it originally opened. He also mentioned that the number of ledgers had also been increased so that jack-hammering would no longer ben an issue. Once we where inside the clover-leaf and next to the loop, Jeff said that the track up to the loop had been worked on to meet "guest rideability" standards, and the rest of the coaster would be finished for the 2005 season.

For some reason, I want to say that Jeff told some of us why new trains would not be possible for Son of Beast, but I can't remember why...

I did there buddy, please dont insult my intelegence and tell me how to ride a ride properly

If your head sticks out over the restraint and you have ridden Vortex more than once you should be fine because you can move your head along with the ride's turns and not get your head banged around as much. As far as your intelligence being insulted, if you ride Vortex the correct way you get a pretty good ride out of it.

If your head sticks out over the restraint and you have ridden Vortex more than once you should be fine because you can move your head along with the ride's turns and not get your head banged around as much. As far as your intelligence being insulted, if you ride Vortex the correct way you get a pretty good ride out of it.

I must say that I agree 100%.

!400 posts! cool.gif

It IS possible to add lapbars to Vortex. Remember the rehab of Steel Phantom? Same trains, new fiberglass. Yes the old Arrow looper trains were re-used and fitted with lap bars that folded to the side. It is quite unique really. I doubt the repairs at this juncture are needed however. Sit tight, the track gets re-guaged every year. Just imagine what would happen if it didn't...

-Adam

Yes, Vortex restraints are extremely comfortable for me (6' 2") and they are extremely reliable. If you know when you're going to get jostled around, brace for it; or don't ride it at all.

This kinda reminds me of the thing that happened several years ago when an old hag put hot McDonald's coffee in her lap then SPILLED it and sued the food giant. For God's sake, lady!!! Think ahead! If you have hot coffee, put it some place where you CAN'T get burned by it.

If you're going to ride a coaster that can injure you, ride it a way that you CAN'T get hurt. But hey, at least nobody has sued the park for something like this...or have they?

New trains not possible? WHy not?

Like I said before, I was only able to hear bits and pieces of what Jeff had to say while he was talking about the trains. I thought I heard him mention a reason why new trains couldn't be used for Son of Beast, but I could be wrong.

I don't think a guest should have to know how to ride a roller coaster. I mean that's like asking someone to do homework at recess. Guests should be able to get on a ride, and not have to worry about getting beat up, nor having to worry about remembering to tilt your head here, lean it back there, and so on. It's not the guests responsibility. That's part of being a good ride.

I agree. It would have been nice if PKI had contracted Arrow to redesign the three or four trouble spots on the ride, but I don't know if they offer that service anymore. (I hate S&S and what they have done to Arrow. Not to metion that their web site sucks too.) Now, assuming that Arrow can't redesign the ride, the only other options are another company (Vekom offers this service) or new trains with lapbars. Check out the Phantom's Revenge section over at CoasterGallery. It mentions that due to the original train design, conventional lap bars could not be used. That makes me think that PKI's requirements for lapbars on loopers would not be able to be met, and therefore completely new trains would be needed.

I, at 5'11" 1/2 or so, think that the ride isn't particularly jarring, no more than Beast, certainly. However, I did feel differently when I first rode The Vortex, for in those days, I was only 5'0". My head got banged up a great deal, but I still enjoyed the ride. Even then, I would've objected to changing it. If it ain't broke, don't fix it, and I honestly don't believe that Vortex is broke.

First let me say that I love Vortex and it's by far one of my favorite Arrow loopers out there. But why would PKI want to put one more dime than necessary into a 17 year old steel coaster? Whether it got retrofitted with lap bars, or entirely new trains, we're talking some serious cash. It's definitely not the smoothest coaster in the world, but it's not in awful shape for a ride of that age.

Maybe a bit more padding on the current restraints would help?

I don't think a guest should have to know how to ride a roller coaster. I mean that's like asking someone to do homework at recess.

Bad comparison, last time I had recess I was too young to even have homework.

You have to learn how to do everything in life, why not ride a rollercoaster the right way.

If you go to a theme park you shouldnt have to use your brain. You shouldnt be dumb by any means but the last thing anyone would want to happen to a guest at a amusement park is for them to get hurt. They shouldnt have to know how to ride a ride to make it enjoyable. There is a reason why arrow went out and b&m quickly took its place on the coaster market... Not that arrow's arent nice Vortex doesnt hurt that bad and ive only known a few none enthusasit that it bothers. When you go to a theme park you shouldnt have to know anything everything should already be setup for you. I heard this saying from someone that heard it from siebert so I'm sure its not exact but im sure siebert would explain it to you if you asked him.

You have to use your brain every second of your life. That was a pretty stupid thing to say. People have to use their brains at an amusement park...What food to buy, what ride to ride. Arrow's are very enjoyable coasters. Vortex, Corkscrew (CP), Magnum (CP) and Gemini (CP) are all very enjoyable rides and I was very very surprised with Corkscrew and Gemini, very fun fun rides. Gemini has probably the best head chopper on any coaster anywhere.

Now as for why B&M flourished and Arrow went down. There are bad and good B&M coasters. Raptor absolutely impressed me in every single aspect. Mantis dissapointed in every aspect and was rougher than any Arrow coaster I have ever ridden in my lifetime.

Of course you have to use your brain but you shouldnt have to think how to do something. If a park makes everything in its ability to be as obvious as possible it makes stuff more fun for everyone. Employee's and guests. You should be able to just go to a park and have fun. Not get banged around because you didnt ride a ride a certain way. I love Vortex to death it doesnt bother me at all im just saying noone should ever be expected to know to do something in order to make it enjoyable.

Car companies build cars so they are not only functional, but also enjoyable...am I right? Let's say you decide to not use your brain while operating your enjoyable car, and you decide to drive down to King's Island on I-71 with your car hood up. Not a good plan.

You have to use your brain, especially at an amusement park. You wouldn't just hop the fence to get a little closer to the bottom of Son of Beast's 218 foot hill, now would you? I would sure as hell enjoy getting an up-close-and-personal visit with the wooden behemoth, but I can't, because the people who come to King's Island without using their brain are the ones who would try to hop onto the track just before a train breezed by at 78 miles an hour.

There are many people who do bring their brain to the amusement park, but for those who don't, that's what all that fencing around rides is for.

I understand what youre sayin Rickster. A guest that doesnt ride roller coasters all the time won't have the same knowledge of how to ride a roller coaster. It is not fair to them to be punished. They did pay the same amount to enter the park, so they should get the same enjoyment out of each ride.