Thunder Alley could be no more...

McSalsa

Screamscape is reporting that Thunder Alley may have given its last runs during Labor Day weekend this season, as there is now a rumor the ride is being retired and will be demolished, which could make some sense as it is right next to Son of Beast. The rumor also states the park is wanting to use more of the former King Cobra ride area, and removing Thunder Alley could let them do that.

Another part of the rumor states that a Luminosity-type show is coming to Kings Island in the future.

This IS Screamscape though, so I'd take this with a grain of salt, but they were correct about The Crypt earlier this year and to be honest, I can see Thunder Alley going...

Any thoughts/comments on this one?

http://www.screamscape.com/html/kings_island.htm

• Like 1

Please, if anything, no re copies of Luminosity, we already have 4 copies at our park, dont make a 5th. (But we would be very happy for a certain copy to leave if it can :) ) Now if we can get a new coaster/area from the SOB/TA(DOT) I would be happy.

I'd actually very much be in favor of them revamping the small stage between the Eiffel Tower and the fountains into a Luminosity-esque stage, though definitely without the back wall. Rely more heavily on floor lighting in the stage and lighting off the 50-foot observation deck, and then you've got a clear view of the fountains, which could be included lighting-wise as part of the show like how Millennium Force, Giant Wheel, and Power Tower are at CP. (Or at least that's what was mentioned when Luminosity was announced... I haven't heard anything to that effect since, and I haven't seen the show myself.)

I don't know that I'd like the show to be exactly like Cedar Point's, either. The impression I get from the photos I've seen is that it's very futuristic and heavy-bass pop-oriented. Those are fitting choices for CP, but I feel like pushing the futuristic aspect at Kings Island, combined with the large area the stage would likely include at the base of the tower/head of the fountains, would likely damage the atmosphere of International Street. I can't think of a substantial example off the top of my head of what theme would look good, but it would need to be something that still blends into International Street during the day when all the effects are off.

My notion still stands. It'd be neat to have a Luminosity stage up near the Delirium fence, though. Imagine a Luminosity show with Delirium swinging overhead.

• Like 2

Absolutely ridiculous. Just ridiculous.

2, 3, and 4 (above) are not even exact duplicates. Not by a long shot. If your biggest fret is that Tidal Wave Bay is a copy, you need to take your complaint up with most every water park on earth that has a wave pool. It's honestly very, very absurd that you'd accuse Soak City at Kings Island of being a "copy" of Soak City at Cedar Point. It's not even worth arguing, though I know you'll attempt a snappy reply... Was the name "imported" from Sandusky? Yes. Every single other thing about the water park is exactly as it was when it was named Boomerang Bay save the action river and new wave pool.

As for WindSeeker, most anyone who's actually been on a handful of them will tell you that they give quite different experiences. WindSeeker, if it's easier to think about it this way, is an outdoor observation tower. Now, wouldn't an observation tower in Mason, Ohio provide a wholly different experience than an observation tower in Doswell, Virginia? Sandusky, Ohio? Buena Park, California?

But to argue that misses the point entirely, because the question is who cares? (EDIT: The answer to the question, by the way, is a vast, vast minority!)

Believe it or not, most of the folks who visit Kings Island will never, ever, ever (NOT ONCE) visit Carowinds. An overwhelming majority of Knott's Berry Farm visitors haven't the slightest idea that a park called Kings Dominion exists at all, much less do they know (or care?) that it has one ride in common. Period. If you traveled to Kansas City, Missouri and declared in your most accusatory voice, "You know, a park in Ohio also has Dinosaurs Alive!" guess how many people would give a rat's behind?

Something tells me that if Disney purchased Kings Island and decided to clone The Twilight Zone Tower of Terror (which exists in four places in the world), Star Tours: The Adventures Continue (which is cloned in 3 places), The Little Mermaid: Ariel's Undersea Adventure (which exists in two parks as identical clones), and Jungle Cruise (in five parks across the globe), you wouldn't mind at all. Am I right?

• Like 18

Already have four copies? Please exsplain?

1. WindSeeker

2. Dinosaurs Alive!

3. Soak City (meh)

4. Tidal Wave Bay

I can say more, but only those are the most important (in my book).

What about

5. Invertigo

6.Firehawk

7.Flight Deck

8.Flight of Fear

All of those rides have at least one clone.

you wouldn't mind at all. Am I right?

I actually would, again I dont like cloning (much). Also about the 2 and 4 2-Its the franchise, it just a idea, which I believe that at least some parks should have different waterparks (KD-WW, CW-BB,WOF-OOF, etc) 4.-It is, please see http://www.kingsdomi...o-do/waterworks and http://www.carowinds...o/boomerang-bay . Now I like some aspects of cloning, only when its actually not a bad idea, in example, KD and KI with some of their duplicates. Also please keep it on topic, a cloning topic may soon come.

you wouldn't mind at all. Am I right?

I actually would, again I dont like cloning (much). Also about the 2 and 4 2-Its the franchise, it just a idea, which I believe that at least some parks should have different waterparks (KD-WW, CW-BB,WOF-OOF, etc) 4.-It is, please see http://www.kingsdomi...o-do/waterworks and http://www.carowinds...o/boomerang-bay . Now I like some aspects of cloning, only when its actually not a bad idea, in example, KD and KI with some of their duplicates. Also please keep it on topic, a cloning topic may soon come.

I think it's fairly on topic if you absolutely adored Boomerang Bay, but consider Soak City "overrated." It's worth discussing, then, what makes an attraction overrated (which, apparently, to you, is that it's been cloned or somehow copied. What I'm trying to help you understand is that 99% of the world disagrees. Soak City, to the general public, is Boomerang Bay, but larger, nicer, better; with more capacity, more attractions, more fun. Just the fact that it shares a name with a park hours away does not suddenly make it "overrated").

Keep in mind that all of the KECO Parks had Water Works (including Kings Island...). Under Viacom, they were each re-named Crocodile Dundee's Boomerang Bay (except Kings Dominion, which we might imagine could've been next). Under Cedar Fair, we might soon see a pattern to name them all Soak City. Uniformity has always been the goal. Just because you don't like the current "uniform" because of its name doesn't make the attraction overrated.

Also, don't tell me what to do. ;)

• Like 9

^^ In terms of the whole experience (from queue to exit), yes. As is Backlot Stunt Coaster, essentially. You could toss our Eiffel Tower in there, too, if you like.

In terms of the physical roller coaster itself, Flight Deck has the same layout and specs as Vortex at Canada's Wonderland, and Flight of Fear's layout (sans the MCBR brakes) can be found at Six Flags Fiesta Texas and Six Flags America, as well as a park in China. There are several clones of our Invertigo around the world. Firehawk has Batwing, also at SFA, as its twin, though Nighthawk at Carowinds is somewhat similar. Several KI flat rides can be found in various other locations as well.

• Like 1

Correct if i am wrong (and i know someone will) wouldn't Flight of Fear be only one that is cloned?

And which attraction would you be referring to Thrill_Biscuit?

Flight of Fear is cloned between Kings Island and Kings Dominion, but exact duplicates exist across America (and formerly Japan). WindSeeker, Invertigo, Delirium and Firehawk also have copies. Drop Zone, Boo Blasters, and all the flat rides of Coney Mall are amusement park standards, just with slight alterations here and there.

Rumors continue to swell that an exact duplicate of Disney California Adventure's Cars Land may make its way to Walt Disney World's Disney's Hollywood Studios Park. Ironically, I can admit a certain amount of distaste at the notion, but the logical side of me recognizes that I am in the statistically insignificant minority of folks who have visited both Disney Resorts in America. I may initially not want "them" to get Cars Land, but "they" probably weren't thrilled about "us" getting a Tower of Terror... But I'm glad we did.

EDIT: And look, just like that we're back to race cars! :)

• Like 3

Going all the way back to the original post...Screamscape writer (name mind blank) just takes our rumors to his news - so were the ones who started it..kind of...

Hi Lance ! : waves: Where else do you think he will get all of his information - If it wasn't for these fan sites, we would all be in the dark about lots of things. Very few of us are "in the know" and if you are, you better keep your fingers tied. And if you look at the history of ScreamScape and Jim Hill Media they are pretty good about filtering BS from real possibilitys.

Now my take on Thunder Alley... was never a GREAT gocart track.. Been to tons better. It has a good position in the park, and while KI has hundreds of acres, topography rules in real estate.

Also to note - Fun Perks were giving away free rides like soft drink wristbands this year. Never once did I get a Free Skyflyer or Slingshot, so maybe they figured make a little revenue on it before it closes. Since I had to pay for one of my kids to ride thats better than normal when they never get a dollar from me. Its all in the Master Plans.

I received a free Thunder Alley ride as an instant reward and redeemed it on Labor Day Saturday. I also received the option of a free Slingshot ride to redeem on FUNPerks. I'll be using that soon to knock off the last Kings Island ride I need to ride--well, that and Rendezvous Run.

Aren't we a week past Labor Day weekend? Did it operate this past weekend?

Cedar Fair is getting more and more cookie cutter, I think light up the tower (eifel tower type show would be neat).

As for thunder alley it was a paid attraction won't be missed.

Now Kings Island is really moving along with a whole new Oktoberfest/Action Zone redo, make over.

Lets hope KI will have new unique attractions for the land.

My opinion only could the animals ever comeback????

Zoofari 2014

Once again, its best to let one calm down before posting (ancient posting secret, also. Anyways, a few weeks back there was a poster that talked of TA leaving, so one could guess it may be true. Also just a FYI, I believe many things that are new are at times over rated, like BB opening, etc it should be a regular opening with just the park well begining.