Thunder Alley could be no more...

McSalsa

Not to mention the track is just plain lame.Really,they couldnt come up with a better track? Then you want to hit me with a charge to ride? Please,its the last ride i would pay extra for and being a somewhat Go-cart enthusiast i just look at it and shake my head,having never paid a penny to ride.

• Like 2

I actually cant see any reason for anybody to post about thunder alley,the worst attraction in KI history(my opinion). It was a joke,im glad its gone and now that Gordon put an end to the drama,this topic is going to be as boring as the ride itself.On to the next one.....

JayZ reference there at the end, Birdy, or am I in too deep?

• Like 2

Never got a chance to ride Thunder Alley myself, but according to everybody I've spoken to about it, it was kind of a letdown anyway.

As far as I'm concerned, Dodgem is the only driving ride Kings Island really needs. Although the Antique Cars would be nice...

Oh well. I guess George Harrison was right - all things must pass.

^^ I just wish he would have passed on the cigarettes so he wouldn't have passed so fast!

More on topic, I would really love to see some more piles of removed concrete in Action Zone. Seeing the pic of the defunct AT has really gotten me excited for an AZ facelift.

• Like 3

I assume you meant to say the pic of the defunct "TA"?

I think it is time for Action Zone to get an update in the coming years. Short of International Street (which has received some new pavers and general sprucing up the last couple of seasons), Action Zone and Oktoberfest are really the two areas of the park that Cedar Fair hasn`t really touched since they took control of the park. And Action Zone is definitely needing something new. The last new attraction to open up there was Delirium, and that is now ten years old! Hard to believe how quickly time flies. I remember looking at construction pictures for that ride online and riding it on opening day!

• Like 1

There is a good go-cart place at the Sharon Road exit off of I-275 across from Princeton HIgh School, unless it has closed.

Its been gone for about 15 years.

Good old Malibu. I loved going there. I remember when I set the track record one year. I mostly went for the arcade though.

• Like 2

Supposedly there is a legit Go Cart place off of 275 by Dave and Busters in Tri-County.

For anyone who grew up with Surf Cincinnati's Go Cart Track, KI's track seemed like a little kid track.

Ah, Surf Cincinnati's go cart track. That place was sweet!

I still remember picking up all of the "speed" by coming over the bridge and going down in the turn... it was awesome!

• Like 1

Cedar Point's Challenge Track (May not be the correct name) was a very good go kart track when I drove on it at my last visit. Then I took a spin on TA and it was just dull. The Karts were not very fast and the lay out of the track made it seem like you stuck to one path and it was impossible to lose. I am liking the future for Action Zone, I think now however it is lacking that one major attraction it seems every area a the park has. Well, it hasn't had that since 2009, but none the less.

• Like 1

If they were to ever add go-karts again I think it would be cool if they got two different tracks. Ill use my local Greatimes Fun Park here in Indy as an example. They have a decent sized and somewhat challenging track for everyone mature enough to drive but then they added a smaller "slick track" for drivers 16+ because the karts were faster and the track was far more trickier to drive. This track has since changed a bit, but I think that would be pretty cool if they did something like this if they were to ever add go-karts back into the park.

• Like 1

Cedar Point's Challenge Track (May not be the correct name) was a very good go kart track when I drove on it at my last visit. Then I took a spin on TA and it was just dull. The Karts were not very fast and the lay out of the track made it seem like you stuck to one path and it was impossible to lose. I am liking the future for Action Zone, I think now however it is lacking that one major attraction it seems every area a the park has. Well, it hasn't had that since 2009, but none the less.

Challenge Park has two go kart tracks, Grand Prix and Sprint. If you are over 16, I assume you were on the GP track. If you are not then you were on the Sprint Track.

Challenge Park has two go kart tracks, Grand Prix and Sprint. If you are over 16, I assume you were on the GP track. If you are not then you were on the Sprint Track.

I drove both of them when I was there in June 2011. They're both good tracks (though I don't have much to compare them to).

• 3 weeks later...

I wonder if we will see any minor improvements to Action Zone this season. They are obviously prepping it for a new addition, that's probably why Invertigo got a facelift last season.

I say we should see them prepping at least. If you really think about it a lot of the rides in Action are kinda actually aren't Action Zoneish. I mean like Drop Tower, Delirium and Invertigo are about the most exciting rides they have left in that zone. Congo falls and Flight Deck are the only two rides left there that are or was a big ride of their day. Now Congo Falls is just old and in my opinion outdated and the same with Flight Deck. I remember riding Flight Deck back in 03' even then that was kinda not as epic as it could be. I say you're right tho, about why Invertigo got painted and the fact it needed it. I think Flight Deck got Painted as well but gray paint isn't that noticeable and or notable. I wouldn't be surprised if one of those two rides went but who know's.

I wouldn't be surprised if they added the Go Cart Track back later on to another location. As of right now with King's island and what they're going to do with the Action Zone and the expansion to the park is anybody's guest.