Halloween Haunt

pkifreak23

2010's Wolf Pack was a great concept that was bogged down by throwing Twilight references into what was supposed to be a scary environment; shirtless dalmatians a haunted house does NOT make. Last year saw the rise of scarier, more aggressive werewolves, which, coupled with the brilliant scenic design, rocketed Wolf Pack up to my most favorite house of Haunt.

Tombstone is just one attraction I do not understand why they bother keeping around. It's essentially reminiscent of the classic Trail of Terror what with being in the woods, but not once does Tombstone manage to convey the sense of fear and uneasiness the former attraction had in spades. Zig-zagging around crates and boxes the entire trek doesn't aid the particularly barren theme the attraction is trying to tell. The extremely lengthy wait times for the train only further cements Tombstone as my least favorite Haunt house.

I've always loved riding Adventure Express at night with all the scenic lights turned on, and riding during Haunt makes it that much more enjoyable. Occasionally, fog seeps into the area, giving the setting an even creepier vibe.

• Like 4

2010's Wolf Pack was a great concept that was bogged down by throwing Twilight references into what was supposed to be a scary environment; shirtless dalmatians a haunted house does NOT make. Last year saw the rise of scarier, more aggressive werewolves, which, coupled with the brilliant scenic design, rocketed Wolf Pack up to my most favorite house of Haunt.

Tombstone is just one attraction I do not understand why they bother keeping around. It's essentially reminiscent of the classic Trail of Terror what with being in the woods, but not once does Tombstone manage to convey the sense of fear and uneasiness the former attraction had in spades. Zig-zagging around crates and boxes the entire trek doesn't aid the particularly barren theme the attraction is trying to tell. The extremely lengthy wait times for the train only further cements Tombstone as my least favorite Haunt house.

I've always loved riding Adventure Express at night with all the scenic lights turned on, and riding during Haunt makes it that much more enjoyable. Occasionally, fog seeps into the area, giving the setting an even creepier vibe.

As a rebuttal to your tombstone terror-tory comment I say this: People love any type of haunted house/attraction. The main reason why people ride the haunted train is back in the woods so it makes it a little bit more "creepier". I do agree that the wait for the train is rediculasly long.

Slaughterhouse, Mysteria, The Beast.

Slaughterhouse is just amazing. It's one of the longest mazes there and it's gross, gory, scary, and noisy. All the best qualities for a Halloween maze.

Mysteria was disturbing. Men in spandex hitting cowbells with fog covering the whole maze? Wow, real scary.

The Beast is just...The Beast. I don't like the ride itself too much, but in the night during Haunt, it's amazing.

• Like 3

Favorite: Holiday Horror. I can't even give reasons why I like it as much as I do, except for maybe the experiences I've had in it. What makes even less sense: New Years' Day was often tied with Thanksgiving as my favorite part of it, even though New Years' was easily the weakest holiday of the mix.

Least favorite: prepare the flames, because I don't care much for Massacre Manor. I know! I'm sorry. It's not a bad house, but it feels themeless to me. The "progressive pictures of the psychopathic girl" thing doesn't do it for me, because I don't understand what that's supposed to symbolize. They get progressively more intense as the house progresses, but nothing happens because of it. It would be one thing if the scare intensity increased with the intensity of the pictures, but it never has when I've been through it. It's just a house facade with spontaneous gore and a simulated electric chair at the end. I don't get it (though it's been known to have some of the best scareactors in it.) Even less endearing of me to you guys: even though it's the obvious choice for least favorite, I kind of like Mysteria. I don't understand what the theme of that was supposed to be last year, but it grew on me a little because it was so freaking weird. Plus, it wasn't Death Row, which is always to its benefit. ;)

Favorite ride: The Beast. Heaven knows I love me some Adventure Express, particularly at night, but it's not what I get excited about at Haunt. The theme of The Beast just fits Haunt, and the fog machines they added last year were pretty stinking cool. Beast is another beast entirely during Haunt, and it's something you can't experience any other night of the season.

• Like 2

Replace the cowbell-playing, spandex-clad men with men in inmates' costumes. Now, fill the room completely with thick fog, play a really annoying siren constantly, and turn on approximately 6,205,829 strobe lights at once. I wouldn't be surprised if someone announced that more people left that haunt of a haunt through the emergency exits than the actual exit, because that was miserable. I'm not epileptic, but it messed with my head (and not in the "good" way) and made me sick.

EDIT: Now that I think about it, I'm pretty sure Death Row's siren is used for Mysteria, at least as of 2011. Rather than just blaring the darn thing, they just "pulse" it--let it rise to a certain pitch, then stop. Better yet, it isn't constant.

• Like 2

When I went through Death Row, it was a Home for Wayward Surly Girls. I heard later that they used Club Blood dancers as prisoners, and it did Not work. Those girls were hired to be sultry and smoldering dangerous, not play a game of "Scared Straight". It was just awful. Soured my haunting experience for the rest of the night.

• Like 2

Personally my favorite is holiday horror. I love all the animatronics in the different rooms and i like how they have all the different holidays and actually didnt do a horrible job in turning them into something somewhat scary. Plus, everytime i went through the maze there was something different about it and they were always adding something new.

My least favorite is tombstone. Like everyone else say its just pointless and not even scary. Its cool to incorporate the Train and all but the maze with it is a disappointment and doesnt really have a good theme. Now if they moved the ToT maze where that is then it might be my number 1 maze! lol

Favorite ride is actually probably beast. I like how they put up that random prop with the ride too. But its just awesome riding through the woods at night and it being all foggy too! but i also always love my Invertigo its my favorite!!

Least favorite: prepare the flames, because I don't care much for Massacre Manor. I know! I'm sorry. It's not a bad house, but it feels themeless to me. The "progressive pictures of the psychopathic girl" thing doesn't do it for me, because I don't understand what that's supposed to symbolize. They get progressively more intense as the house progresses, but nothing happens because of it. It would be one thing if the scare intensity increased with the intensity of the pictures, but it never has when I've been through it. It's just a house facade with spontaneous gore and a simulated electric chair at the end. I don't get it (though it's been known to have some of the best scareactors in it.) Even less endearing of me to you guys: even though it's the obvious choice for least favorite, I kind of like Mysteria. I don't understand what the theme of that was supposed to be last year, but it grew on me a little because it was so freaking weird. Plus, it wasn't Death Row, which is always to its benefit. ;)

no intention on flaming, but more of informing to help better understand. here goes:

massacre manor's theme is supposed to be that it is like a black widow thing. they lure you into the house as a potential buyer. but as you progress through the house, there is the feeling that it is a trap as there is a girl named evil emily who is almost like a stephen kings "carrie". in the sense that all of these prom dates have done her wrong so she is exacting revenge on them. in the past there used to be an actor who would let emily sling him agaisnt the walls & (oretend) to abuse him. this said actor would also not only rock the electric chair but launch himself out of it after playing dead.

reports now of days is that the new person in the chair only rocks the electric chair; & that would be it.

• Like 1

^ Okay, that makes a lot more sense, particularly if they had actors incorporated with the theme like that. I've never seen such a thing during that house (save for the electric chair, whose context is confusing without seeing the "abused" actor beforehand), so I didn't know that was the point. Thanks rotag!

• Like 1

Tombstone is just one attraction I do not understand why they bother keeping around. It's essentially reminiscent of the classic Trail of Terror what with being in the woods,

I agree 100% I wish that the ToT would return, it was a great theme that was one (personally) of the greatest halloween trails that I have ever been on.

26895562.jpg

I have only been 1 haunted house because I really don't like the "thrill" of being scared. But I actually love the haunt, they put so much detail and it gives that awesome halloween feeling. The 1 hauntde house 1 hanted house that I wenht through I think was called carnevil (?). I really liked that, bright, bubbly and I like the mirrior maze. Not scary, unless you get extreemly freeked out of clowns.

^ Okay, that makes a lot more sense, particularly if they had actors incorporated with the theme like that. I've never seen such a thing during that house (save for the electric chair, whose context is confusing without seeing the "abused" actor beforehand), so I didn't know that was the point. Thanks rotag!

no prob. as being a scarector for many different haunted house's (including ki in '09 (& this year)); i find that most places have a story plot that can be followed if one looks for it. just like with urgent scare in the early years having the same story plot similar in style to the remake of "the crazies". but i have also been to (as a guest) places that have no story plot @ all & make no sense period which becomes hard to follow/convey.

i personally see haunted house in general as a form of screenplay for a movie/theater. due to the fact that you have set pieces/designs that you walk thru that try to tell a story to begin with. then you have your main scarectors that play as your main cast that are out in plain sight with lines. then you have your secondary scarectors & extra's that help the story pull together with sudden/quick but effective outbursts. so long story short, were here to entertain you as if you are watching a movie. B)

• Like 4

I look forward to Carnevil every year. It's the most fun haunt in my opinion. I just have a grin on my face the whole time I'm going through. Massacre Manor used to be a favorite but, like others have said, the theme has kind of gotten away from it in recent years. Slaughter House has quickly risen in my list. Last year was the first time I tried it and I thought it was very cool.

Tombstone is just...ugh...I fall for it every year. I say to myself, "Myself? Maybe this year it will be awesome and they'll do something cool with it, and let's go get some pizza", but nope, the same sequence continues.

Long wait. Train ride. Long wait. Long walk by crates that are too spread apart; some having a person hiding behind it to jump out and give a "rawr" and some don't.

The only suspense comes from wondering, "Is someone hiding behind that box way over there?" and being disappointed with either outcome. It's almost like playing hide and seek, but the scare actors aren't the ones who are "it". I'm "it" and I'm looking for you to scare me, but you aren't doing it. Why aren't you doing it?! I'm going to go get some pizza now.

• Like 5