Haunt 2012 reviews

Snowman

I couldn't find a topic about this so here goes:

Just got back from KI (9/21/2012). Tonight was not packed. Madame Fatale's was FANTASTIC!!! The level and depth of the theme was very well done. I'm not giving anything away so don't ask.

Nightmare Alley was kind of weak(maybe first night kinks), unless you're scared of eyeballs in trees, then beware.

Loved Freak Street. Fog and Lasers and Freaks oh my!!

Carnevil was the usual dose of 3D fun. I love walking through the tunnel without holding onto the rail.

Holiday Horror was same as last year, not too scary but well themed with some good effects.

Didn't see the drummers, but the stage looks great, and really happy to not see any midget wrestlers.

International street had some great scareactors all over. The dancing Michael Jackson scareactor was a terrific dancer.

Walked on many rides, had a great time. Saw some lightning in the distance, so we came home.

What are your thoughts on Haunt this year?

• Like 2

I couldn't find a topic about this so here goes:

Just got back from KI (9/21/2012). Tonight was not packed. Madame Fatale's was FANTASTIC!!! The level and depth of the theme was very well done. I'm not giving anything away so don't ask.

Nightmare Alley was kind of weak(maybe first night kinks), unless you're scared of eyeballs in trees, then beware.

Loved Freak Street. Fog and Lasers and Freaks oh my!!

Carnevil was the usual dose of 3D fun. I love walking through the tunnel without holding onto the rail.

Holiday Horror was same as last year, not too scary but well themed with some good effects.

Didn't see the drummers, but the stage looks great, and really happy to not see any midget wrestlers.

International street had some great scareactors all over. The dancing Michael Jackson scareactor was a terrific dancer.

Walked on many rides, had a great time. Saw some lightning in the distance, so we came home.

What are your thoughts on Haunt this year?

Was you able to see if mysteria was any better this year?

In saw the lighting but waited it out. They closed some rides due to weather but not all of the m. I'm confused on that. Anyway I only did one haunt since I wanted to get some rides in. The one haunt I did do was the one in Action Zone. I forget the name of it but I was ddisappointed. Not a single actor popped out. The actors that they did have didn't do anything. They just walked. Around. Very very poor house. Glad I didn't have to wait in Line. On a side note the band they had playing was awesome and they seemed to have tons of road ERS tonight

Was good, for the first night. Didn't get into the Crypt, by the time we worked our way back to that area at 10:30pm, we didn't feel like waiting in the line.

All the rides were walk ons, which was expected.

Wolf Pack - Meh.

Slaughter House - Decent...not even close to years past. Had our fake chainsaw noises at the ready...didn't get to use them. Chalk it up to first night, I guess. Walked on it, don't know if I will wait come later if it is that boring.

CarnEvil - Decor becoming dated quickly. Time to re-do that one for next season.

Urgent Scare - The best of the night that we went thru.

Cut Throat Cove - Did that in the daylight, so, no real scare factor. Noticed some really awful attempts at English accents. A few sounded Austrailian.

Massacre Manor - Other than the young man who could scream and sound dead on Harry Potter, a haphazard haunt, not worth the time to wait for it.

Skipped Mysteria, as last year, was god awful. Skipped Club Blood, deemed it inappropriate for my daughter. The rest, we ran out of time due to Sat morning soccer, left the park around 11pm.

Had a great night walking around the park, riding rides, having a few beers, and enjoying the atmosphere. The haunts, on the other hand, were a bit disappointing.

Will need to get back, and get in line early for Madame Fatales thing. Only one I wanted to do, but didn't.

• Like 2

The only thing the Madame needs to work on is the end of the que/beginning of the attraction. The big bat Devil monster, goblin, bubba, (I know you all had a name for him/her) has a table in the middle of that room now. When you go in, the separator makes you go to the left or right of the long table and takes the obligatory picture. Then the 2 lines walk along the table to the entrance of the attraction. The problem is they didn't send the lines equally and people that were way behind us ended up going well ahead of us. Very slow que, but definitely worth the wait.

(MORE DETAILED)

Slaughterhouse: Last year, I loved Slaughterhouse. It was by far the scariest for me. This year, I was disappointed. None of the actors attempted to scare; they were just walking around with their bloody meat cleavers and axes. It was the first time Slaughterhouse hadn’t scared me more than once. And, guess what? The highlight of the maze was the exit, where the chainsaw guy came out of nowhere to scare the living out of you – not there anymore. 5/10

Club Blood: Oh, Club Blood. The scares have always disappointed me but the girls haven’t (I’ll admit it) – but last night, I got scared a whole bunch. Great crew working in it. I loved the strobe lights part; I forgot about it since 2011 but it is easily the best segment of maze in Halloween Haunt. 8/10

Wolf Pack: Another maze that has always disappointed me but was great. Everything in it is covered in leaves, and the wolves match the color of the trees and dirt just right, so there were several times where I almost touched someone when I thought they were fake; one of the scares in it was the best scare of the night for me (a wolf standing perfectly still that looked fake, and decided to pick on me). 9/10

Urgent Scare: We did this one early in the night like Slaughterhouse, so the actors weren’t that great here either. I still love the theme and setup of the maze. The elevator simulation is awesome, and really freaks some people out. I did get scared several times, but once again, most of the actors were just standing around looking at me. 7/10

Holiday Horror: Last year I thought the same thing; this is more fun than scary. Same way this year, but I was disappointed, AGAIN. No actors! The President’s Day section had absolutely no actors like they did last year, there was no Easter bunny, and only about one actor per holiday. I’m very sad that one of my favorite mazes from last year wasn’t nearly as good this year. 4/10.

Overall, last night's mazes were decent. They were all the same as last year but there was a scarce amount of scareactors. Nightmare Alley was stupid, like Snowman said, if you're afraid of giant eyes hanging down from trees, don't do it! Other than that, no scareactors there either. Freak Street's the best scare zone, easily, with the overabundance of fog and the lasers. I'm guessing it wasn't that great last night because it was the first night of the year. Hopefully as the year goes on it will get better.

• Like 5

My friend chickened out so we only ended up going into CarnEvil and Urgent Scare. CarnEvil is more eye candy than scary. Unless you're one of those people who have a fear of clowns. Waiting in line for Urgent Scare, I was wondering where all the effects were in the queue. And the "soundtrack" of the google translate voice paging doctors wasn't as intimidating as that creepy siren they used to have.

When the actor mentioned that there were rats on the loose in the hospital, I was really confused. Since when were giant rats part of this plot? Probably because I didn't get to go to Haunt last year, some of these changes might have been there already...

We sent Friday night, no crowds, had a great time. Saw the new hamburger cart/stand near slaughterhouse but did not sample - will have to do that next time. Also saw the LaRosa's stand in the Coney Mall, suspect that place will get packed if the 'za is fresh and hot, when the crowds come up to usual Haunt sizes. Agree with previous post that the Michael Jackson actor was awesome. Made my younger son laugh and put him at ease (he got rattled when we came thru the lines at opening time with all the scareactors there. Makeup was very good again this year. The 'statues' on International Street creep me out - they're doing a *great* job. The Easter Bunny was there for holiday horror, as were Presidents Obama and Clinton, but alas we did not see TrickyDick. The new fog juice isn't nearly as irritating to my sinuses, but it wasn't pleasant on contact lenses. They show no lasting effects though, after a good cleaning and soak. Just not comfy while there. We'll be back soon!

• Like 2

Obama and Clinton? I love that they had Presidents from both main parties last year. I hope the GOP gets equal representation when it comes to the Haunt. When it comes to scaring me, it's a bipartisan issue.

Agreed. Particularly in an election year, Cedar Fair should be more savvy than implying only Democrats are frightening.

• Like 5

. The new fog juice isn't nearly as irritating to my sinuses, but it wasn't pleasant on contact lenses. They show no lasting effects though, after a good cleaning and soak. Just not comfy while there. We'll be back soon!

Thanks for the heads up. Our group is going this Saturday, and both my best friend and I wear contacts. Perhaps there are drops that may help. Does anyone happen to know of any? I just really don't want to deal with wearing glasses for 14 hours.

Obama and Clinton? I love that they had Presidents from both main parties last year. I hope the GOP gets equal representation when it comes to the Haunt. When it comes to scaring me, it's a bipartisan issue.

Agreed. Particularly in an election year, Cedar Fair should be more savvy than implying only Democrats are frightening.

Pretty sure Reagan got me on Friday...

• Like 1

Is the comedian still by Great Pumpkin in Freak Street? I loved listening to his acts! I hope he stayed.

The Haunt crew is the best. They're even better than Racer/Zephyr! I struck up a conversation with a sideshow freak last year, telling me to see Hank at CarnEVIL. My group met up with him later and had a good 15 minute conversation after.

You'd rather put up with constantly inserting drops for 14 hours?

Some of us MUST wear glasses ALL our waking hours. Contacts aren't even an option.

No, I'd rather not have to deal with drops period. But, the glasses I have are a few years old and I can't see very well with them. I can't go without something, because I'm blind without some sort of corrective lenses.

• Like 1

I know they are only going by the calender, and they aren't trying to be political, but that's also a reason to have both sides.

Who knows? George Washington with an ax could be lurking around.

Last year Bill Clinton had the misfortune of leaping out right in front of my neice, the only thing I could think of was "Not her, you don't!" I hope he got the humor of that. If it were any other president, the thought wouldn't have entered my head.

Bausch and Lombe used to have a good eyedrop solution, I don't know if they still make it, I no longer wear contacts. Fair warning, anytime you are in a situation where say, the residue of something like fog can get in your eyes, sometimes drops can only make it worse, it a gross way.

• Like 3

I attended the Haunt on 9/21 (Friday). I must say, although the new Madame Fatale Haunt was rather great (even on opening night!), something felt sort of missing. My sister and girlfriend (both longtime attendees as well) both noticed it as well. It could have been the lack of the Fog smell we are now so used to, or the fact that there wasn't very much fog at all. The past few years Coney Mall has been something you can barely see in when walking, which I always thought added to the atmosphere of the night. To add to that, the combo of the fog and the scare actors is a fundamental of a good Haunt night. I think I saw maybe 10 scare actors around the park the whole night, and when they were around, they were either talking to each other or walking (not scaring). Everything else looked great. Action Zone had some life in it for the first time in years, and the decor around the park (music included) was awesome (Phantom Theater characters made me happy/sad to see). I'll chalk the lack of scaring the crap out of my 13 year old cousin up to being the first night, but hopefully someone or something gets us next time. Rides ran great! I'll be going back this Friday so I'll update then. Also planning on next Sunday (the 30th), and maybe the KIC Haunt night on the 5th.

• Like 2

From what I am reading it appears that they are using new methods of fog and the old smell is gone. I am very disappointed in this because as Burgtoad said it was lacking the smell and the amount of fog in general. I am hoping this was just for the first night of operation and not going to continue throughout the event. The fog was one of my favorite parts of Haunt, really added well to the atmosphere.

I know they are only going by the calender, and they aren't trying to be political, but that's also a reason to have both sides.

Who knows? George Washington with an ax could be lurking around.

Last year Bill Clinton had the misfortune of leaping out right in front of my neice, the only thing I could think of was "Not her, you don't!" I hope he got the humor of that. If it were any other president, the thought wouldn't have entered my head.

Bausch and Lombe used to have a good eyedrop solution, I don't know if they still make it, I no longer wear contacts. Fair warning, anytime you are in a situation where say, the residue of something like fog can get in your eyes, sometimes drops can only make it worse, it a gross way.

They could have Clint Eastwood and an empty chair. That could be good...

• Like 1