Haunt 2012 reviews

Snowman

The only negative thing I can think of from last night is the "chainsaws". If you're going to have chainsaws, have actual chainsaws not wimpy battery powered plastic, making weed whacker noises. I didn't see a single soul get even startled by them. Please, do away with the plastic.

• Like 1

I enjoyed the haunt last night,the guy who speaks in the entrance is amazing! I also enjoyed watching the guy disguised as a bush scare the crap out of everyone heading to the mile line for Diamondback.Buried alive looked pretty creepy,i coundnt spend 5 dollars to have a panic attack though! The one thing i like from CP last year was how the actors all walk in together,it was so exciting,I would like KI to do this! The only part of the haunt i didnt care for is hanging in front of BLSC,everyone in my party felt the same way about it.Its just not scary or funny for some people for many reasons.We also wanted to go watch the second half of the OSU game and then come back to the park but couldnt because of the no re-entry after 7 rule,im sure they have good reasons but stinks we couldnt come back! If they had sports bar-restaurant with football on several flats inside KI,i would bring family and friends every weekend :)

• Like 3

What I've found with working in haunted houses is that it doesn't matter what tool you use.. It's how you use it and the presence you have. I've seen actors get ridiculous scares with just a look.. I've also seen people drop to the floor in terror by just shouting "Poptart!". It depends on the guest, the timing, and the creativity of the actor as well as their ability to assess the situation (i.e. what scare will work best with which guest). I've seen both "real" and fake chainsaws at work and they both can be extremely effective depending on the handler.

P.S. The Haunt's Undertaker kicks ass!

• Like 6

I was there with some friends again on Friday night and they went through Slaughter House. I didn't go with them, sorry "Sam" it's too terrifying for me to come through. When they came out the chainsaw dude at the exit scared the crap out of one of them. She took off running from him like a dimented chicken, it was awesome. Good job chainsaw dude!

• Like 3

I made a lady cry in terror Saturday night while taking a break from the CHAINSAW by going through one of the rooms at slaughter house singing "just keep swimming" and made another person drop to the ground by doing a pop scare saying "pop tart"

Kid's songs can be creepy. I was at the shooting range, open daylight, in the middle of a beautiful day, and for some reason was singing "Sho Jo Ji", a kid's song my dad taught me. One guy told me if he ever heard that song again, he'd **** himself, because the idea of someone shooting a .45 six shooter and singing a kid's song really creeped him out. Of course, me singing like Gravel Gertie doesn't help.

Someone singing "Don't Fence Me In" two years ago in Slaughterhouse scared the hell out of me.

I don't care if the chainsaws are fake. So many of us have seen the ending of the original "Texas Chainsaw Massacre" that the idea of a demented anyone with a chainsaw of any kind is scary. I'm going to have to paraphrase Clapton on this one; It's in the way that you use it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DiY9CxzZTj8&feature=related

• Like 1

There was a shorter guy walking on stilts around AZ, and I stood next to him. He turned around and noticed that I was as tall as him. When I get the picture from my friend, I'll show you all.

All 3 shows were great! Also, the leaf camoflauged guy by DB hid behind a tree next to Rivertown Junction, and sent a girl to the ground by simply saying a robotic "Boop!" He was great, as well as the guy at the front.

"Can I help you...into a coffin? Bahahah!"

"Take a picture...it will last longer than YOU!"

• Like 2

Posted Today, 01:48 AM

There was a shorter guy walking on stilts around AZ, and I stood next to him. He turned around and noticed that I was as tall as him. When I get the picture from my friend, I'll show you all.

All 3 shows were great! Also, the leaf camoflauged guy by DB hid behind a tree next to Rivertown Junction, and sent a girl to the ground by simply saying a robotic "Boop!" He was great, as well as the guy at the front.

"Can I help you...into a coffin? Bahahah!"

"Take a picture...it will last longer than YOU!"

The guy in rivertown is a BUSH and yes he does an excellent job with that goofy suit!!! Funny how some of the worst costumes on the right people seem to work.

As for the fake chainsaws = if a scareactor can take something that fake and get scares....well that seems to me to be a very good scareactor!!!

• Like 3

That was me :)

Was it you working on Saturday night the 16th at about 10? I remember my friend told the chainsaw guy about a joke she made to the guy holding the chicken, and she was told that she was the 45th person to make that joke!

That was me that night and the chicken man does keep a running tally of the "chicken" jokes.

And for the fake chainsaws... I like them for one reason.. Drunk morons that like to grab the end of the chainsaws while people are trying to scare other people. I had it happen twice Saturday. They are a hard sell to some people but others only need to hear the sound and see someone scary holding something and they freak.... CHAINSAW!!!!!!

• Like 3

Awesome.

Just one question: Why does almost every actor snarl? We met a guy dressed as some type of lizard, and he snarled. Doesn't make much sense.

I personally don't like the snarl. For someone dressed like an animal, I'm okay with it, but for a human / formerly human / undead human character I don't like it. It's too simple, and it's unimaginative. Now for some undeads, like zombies, it makes sense. But if you're using something so simple, chances are there's a hundred other scareactors doing the same thing. Now put yourself in the guests' shoes. Would you want to go through 5,6,7,8 attractions where even a quarter of the scareactors are snarling? I wouldn't. It gets old.

That's why Sam, and The Bouncer before him, doesn't/didn't snarl. Sam has a set of different things he'll say to or ask the people that walk past him. If it's busy and there's a long line of people coming through, sometimes he'll do the Sam Slam and glare at you while he resets so that he can get the people later in the group (because, after all, the Sam Slam is the most effective scare tactic that he's ever used), but if he's out and talking, he's not snarling. He's saying things that are unique to him, things that no other scareactor is saying because he thought long and hard to come up with those lines.

So to all scareactors and future scareactors, be creative. Sure, it takes time to think of things to say. And some things you find will work, and some won't. It's trial and error, but after a few times you'll find out quickly what doesn't work, so you drop those and continue to use what does. I've even found that my improv skills have improved over the years. Sometimes a guest will say something to Sam, and Sam will come up with a snappy comeback. Or Sam will think of something a few minutes later and use it the next time someone says something similar. It just takes time and some thought.

• Like 7