Haunt 2012 reviews

Snowman

Tonight's out, it's too rainy. It would be miserable for us and the roamers. Not to hep on going towards the end of the Haunt, but have no choice, October weekends are always full up for me. Hoping the monsters still have some pep and jive. I know the younger ones might poop out, but that's life.

I've not had a cowboy snarl at me. Roamers sometimes snarl, but they have to attack with the fast scare so many times.

Think of going both Saturday Night for the ambiance, then returning Sunday to view the cute things. I take it the rides are open Sunday, also?

This has been the worst month ever to plan my Haunt trip. I tried to go early, but had to visit family for the OU Homecoming game. I didn't have a choice.

edit 10/28: Saturday night was crowded. I met two friends from Cincy there, I suggested we do what they want first, because it will be crowded, and it did get more crowded as the night went on. We were lucky that my friends enjoyed the flats, because that's all we could squeeze in after a while. The big rides just became purgatories of the exiled souls with the lines.

With the Haunts, you can tell that it's a room by room story. It starts off soft and gets more insane as the rooms go on. I liked Madame's for it's subtle creepiness, Holiday has great theming, but Slaughterhouse always starts off Bang from the gate crazy and goes from there. My friends liked that one best. They were particularly fond of the funhouse barrel in the clown house. More of things like that would be fun.

A chainsaw is a chainsaw. I thought the fake chainsaws were as good, though they could do to be louder. There's a lot of noise going on in the area, and a louder chainsaw would create a bigger climax.

They must at least get the job done, because the lady's restroom by Slaugherhouse is always available with no line. I saw a few women approach the restroom, and then veer away due to the guy wielding the chainsaw.

I thought a lot of the makeup was much better this year.

To be honest, Club Blood and Cornstalkers were snoozers. I understand it takes a lot of work to create the frenetic energy to scare people, but these two houses were asleep.

I enjoyed Blood Drums, but had to move on quickly due to some bottlenecking that was happening in the immediate area.

• Like 2

So the Haunt is over... and I would like to send a BIG thank you to all the guests that came out and allowed me to scare the crap out of them. You all were great. Also, thanks to my fellow haunters for dedicating themselves and making the job the best I've ever had.

But to keep it topical... How 'bout that Slaughterhouse, eh? I totally didn't work there.. I just thought they were probably the most awesome thing that's ever happened. I wouldn't say that if I worked there because I definitely didn't. That's crazy.. Me? Working there? Ha.. ha.. er..

• Like 5

I would just like to say that I was very disappointed with the Halloween Haunt this year. The last time I went to the haunt I believe was in 2010, and while it has been a few years, it was quite scary. I remember when Club Blood used to have a guy on a hang glider or whatever it was come inches from your face and scare you, when urgent scare had a siren going off constantly and a creepy outdoor part to it, and when the haunts actually had a ton of people working to scare you just out and about ! This year there was none of that. Before I review each individual house, I have a few general thoughts. Firstly, there was barely anyone out and about just to scare you as you were walking. Secondly, the haunted houses were not very scary at all, but I did see a TON of small children who in my opinion should not have even been there in the first place so that made me wonder if they dimmed them down because of all of the children that end up going to the haunt or if maybe they didn't have enough staff. I also think the haunted houses were less scary because they would send so many people inside of them at once you would see all of them/their scares before they got to you.

Slaughterhouse- I thought this one was a little bit scary. Somebody had some type of device that made a pig snort noise and put it right by my ear which made me jump and I screamed a few times. I thought it was a decent length and I enjoyed the woman who was outside with the real rat on her shoulder.

Club blood- SO DISAPPOINTED. There were hardly any actors when I went through it with my boyfriend, it was like walking through nothing. Also I miss the person who was on the hang glider thing or whatever it was because that was scary.

pirate's cove- not scary at all. I saw all the people before they came out and the accents were horrible and laughable.

urgent scare- In my opinion, urgent scare used to be the best haunt. This year, I thought it was disappointing. There was no siren, no outdoor maze, and the people in the maze just kind of looked at you and did not really do anything to scare you.

cavern of terror-this was pretty good. The wax figures or whatever it was that came back and forth in the walls made me shut my eyes...actually I am not even sure what they were doing I had my eyes shut. Haha.

holiday horror- I went through this at 6pm. I was so disappointed because I thought the santa would be scary and that their would be an easter bunny but I was wrong.

massacre manor- It was decent. I really liked the pictures on the wall. Those pictures were probably the best part of the maze though.

mysteria- What the ..... is all I have to say about that. Not scary at all just weird. I miss death row being in that spot :(

graveyard- I thought they could've put scary stuff on the train ride. When it stopped and we had to walk I saw better hiding places than where they were scaring you at but overall it did spook me a little bit.

wolf- It was alright. I screamed a few times. I think I would put it third on my list.

Anyway, I did enjoy myself but I am just a little bit sad that they were not very scary. Also in every other maze, people would come up and blow on me to try and scare me and I thought it was weird. I did not go in corn stalkers because it was boring when I went in it a few years ago and I did not go into the clown one because we were ready to go home but it was alright the last time I went into it.

• Like 2

Starrynight, what day did you go on? Also....

Slaughterhouse- I thought this one was a little bit scary. Somebody had some type of device that made a pig snort noise and put it right by my ear which made me jump and I screamed a few times. I thought it was a decent length and I enjoyed the woman who was outside with the real rat on her shoulder.

I can assure you that it was not a "device"... That was all his natural voice talent.. Very effective.

• Like 2

That's another thing. I thought being scared of pigs was just personal issue with me. My sister once raised pigs, and the scare of my life was being chased by a 600 lb. psychotic sow. Plus, they have human eyes. To me, eating bacon is ridding the world of a little bit of evil.

The pig noises were unnerving, better than having real pigs. The guy making the sound was very realistic.

Slaughter house uses the rationale of bomber art on planes in WWII- the further way they got from Mama, the more edgy it got, until it got into Apocalypse Now territory.

I could see in some houses where there were supposed to be people in a nook, and there was no one. The clown house makes up for it sparse workers by design, and you are right, you can't see some of the people in the wax museum, and it's creepy. Easter Bunny was there when I went through, and seemed to have a personal vendetta against us- really creepy.

This is the first time I've seen patrons tap ghouls on the shoulder and engage them with tea time conversations. What gives with that? The actor has to be polite, he's hired by the park, but what makes these patrons want to make small talk with a person whose face is falling off?

I also saw a lot of little kids. A few times on rides, we'd see a kid that, no matter how much tp in his shoes, was not going to get on a ride. Don't bother to tell the parent that they're wasting their time in line, they just set their brows and jaws. Let them stand in line for a half hour 'til the person with the stick tells them.

I couldn't make it to the park on last day. My cousin and I make use of our feet, and take over the park quickly. The men we married poop out too fast- mine's too pooped to return today.

• Like 2

Slaughter house uses the rationale of bomber art on planes in WWII- the further way they got from Mama, the more edgy it got, until it got into Apocalypse Now territory.

Best review of Slaughterhouse I've heard yet.. I'm proud to say that I was part of the "Apocalypse Now territory". Those of us in back of the house are like Mama's red headed step-child... She loves us and we love her.. But she doesn't quite know what to do with us.. We're the black sheep of the Slaughterhouse family (which is saying A LOT).

• Like 6

And Sam is in the front half of the house... Mama told Sam that he's her favorite (although I have the sneaking suspicion she says that to all her kids) so he tends to be a little friendlier (except for when he does the Sam Slam while popping out) than some of his siblings, what with offering them dinner and sometimes a song to go along with it.

• Like 3

Well, I'm unsure whether this is on-topic or not but here goes...

Hot Blooded was sexy as hell this year and the vocalists were better (IMHO) than they have been in the past. The choreography and setlist could use updating, but this one's always worth a look.

Graveyard shift was super as well - the vocalists were amazing and the dancers were quite good.

Blood Drums grew on me, but I think the experience totally depended on where in the crowd you were. Up close and it was pretty cool, in the back it just wasn't the same at all.

Best show for the haunts this year that I saw though, was Skeleton Crew at CP. There are youtubes of some of the shows, but it was simply amazing. Would love to see a show like that come to KI.

• Like 1

The lady with Brutus, that's me ;) so thanks for the mention!

• Like 1