The Racer

tuxedoman52

Before you start posting THIS IS NOT A RUMOR PAGE ON IF The Racer IS GOING TO BE TORN DOWN. Because it never will. I'm just wondering if you liked The Racer going backwards or forwards. Also, I'm wondering if The Racer was your first real coaster, Nickelodian Universe does not count or whatever it was called when you a kid.

The Racer was my first roller coaster and I loved it. I was to scared to ride backwards though.

How does a roller coaster in Planet Snoopy differ from a roller coaster in the rest of the park? Are the thrills different? Is the way the roller coaster was constructed different? Do you count a "real" roller coaster by your opinion (eg Diamondback is soo much better than Adventure Express--which we all know is not true)?

There are also numerous topics asking the same question as you. Please use the search feature in the forums. It is located on the top right hand corner of the forum index, and you can search for phrases using quotation marks ( " " )

EDIT: Change is inevitable, so how do you know The Racer will not be demolished?

• Like 2

I think he means if it was your first big coaster.As in not in the kid's area.The backwards Racer was my first big coaster and I liked it a whole lot more than forwards.It was because you couldn't see where you were going and it was hard to anticipate the next drop.When American Eagle at SFGAM was turned backwards for its 30th anniversary last season,I had to make a trip there to ride it.It was the first time I had been on a backwards racing coaster since The Racer in 2007.

I would imagine The Racer was my 1st "big" coaster, but I can't swear to that as I have no idea. If it wasn't The Racer, then it was likely Big Thunder Mountain, or perhaps Space Mountain at Disney.

Loved the backwards racer. Absolutely loved it, wish they could still run it backwards, though as I've aged, I reserve the right to change my opinion on which is better backwards or forwards should they ever switch it back.

At any rate, I'm sure some would argue that while this doesn't belong on the rumors page, it probably belongs on the poll page, and has probably been asked many, many times before on this forum.

How does a roller coaster in Planet Snoopy differ from a roller coaster in the rest of the park? Are the thrills different? Is the way the roller coaster was constructed different? Do you count a "real" roller coaster by your opinion (eg Diamondback is soo much better than Adventure Express--which we all know is not true)?

There are also numerous topics asking the same question as you. Please use the search feature in the forums. It is located on the top right hand corner of the forum index, and you can search for phrases using quotation marks ( " " )

EDIT: Change is inevitable, so how do you know The Racer will not be demolished?

What I meant was The Racer is PROBABLY not going to be torn down in the next 5 years or so

What was later called Nick U was called rural vacant land when I was a kid.

And yes, I liked The Racer going backwards or forwards. It was not my first big coaster. Some would say it was Kingda Ka!

As for "real" coasters, I thought they all are. I've not ridden a false coaster, though Ninja at SFOG comes close.

• Like 7

I agree. What is up with the "real" coasters clarification?

I think my first big coaster was probably Adventure Express, back when the height requirment was 36" or 42" Heck, back in the day, even Racer had a height requirement of 42" I believe. I remember being terrified of riding The Racer. But once I rode it a couple of times, The Beastie, as it was called then, seemed like a walk in the park.

• Like 1

I rode The Racer backwards many years ago with my mom and I don't remember much of it because of it being so long. I rode it for the first time going forward on September 3rd and loved it. I love the fact that it has been around since King's Island opened back in 72 and is still running today.

Backwards was the most enjoyable, it always gave a thrill of whats happening and when are we going down? I second what TheCrypt said, change will come, in one way or another, which The Racer already has had modifications in one way or another.

I was never a fan of the backwards side. made me dizzy. The Racer was my first adult sized coaster (maybe first period) and I can remember being terrified of it. The first drop seemed so much bigger and more intense back then. It was several years before I even wanted to get on a coaster again and even more before I really started to enjoy them.

Backwards Racer was taken out due to some safety administration(I think).

I learn the darnest things here....

The park said it was nostalgia. At the same time, coincidentally, I'm sure, PTC, the maker of Racer's carriages, issued a recommendation that its trains run only in forward operation. Ohio ride operators must follow manufacturers' recommendations. Suddenly, the park got all nostalgic.

• Like 1

The park said it was nostalgia. At the same time, coincidentally, I'm sure, PTC, the maker of Racer's carriages, issued a recommendation that its trains run only in forward operation. Ohio ride operators must follow manufacturers' recommendations. Suddenly, the park got all nostalgic.

Since what year did OH amusement parks have to abide by manufacturers' recommendations? If I am not mistaken and this is factual, didn't Paramount decline HUSS' recommendations of the better brakes for TR: TR?

forgive me for asking this. Was the backwards racer just flipped as in just turned around. Or did they have to switch the chassis to run correctly... I hope this makes sense to someone answering my question. I didnt know if they had to just turn the coaster around or re-engineer the chassis...

If the coaster was just flipped to run backwards, couldnt they build a backwards seated coaster car that would function like the forward coaster but with the seats in reverse?

Substantial work was required in order to reverse the trains, much of it involved the braking. It was not just a matter of reversing the direction of travel.

Rolling Thunder at Great Adventure, American Eagle at Six Flags Great America and other coasters also ran with reversed trains for a while.

It's not just the effect on the trains or maintenance that resulted in PTC's forward only operation recommendation. John Allen designed Racer to be ridden in a forward direction....

• Like 2

Guest TombraiderTy

I remember The Racer going backwards it was the best ride ever, Also was it the red or blue that went backwards? I think it was the red but i'm not sure.

Technically both - from 1972 through 2007, both the North and South tracks had one red, one blue train each. It wasn't until 2008 that they put the same colors on the same side.