Is the enthusiast population dwindling?

My question is, since the coaster wars are far over, do you believe that the coaster enthusiast population is slowly dying off? I seem to feel as that the ACE population, as well as other coaster clubs aren't as prevalent in the scene today. Enthusiast events, like HoliWood Nights, seem to be less of an occurence as they used to be.

So my question is, do you believe that the enthusiast population has (and/or will continue to) decrease as the years go by? And will this effect the industry as a whole?

• Like 3

There are many factors to consider. Coaster clubs like ACE have been rendered obsolete in certain ways by the internet and the abundance of communities that can be created at will. As for enthusiasts, everyone grows up and moves on to new things in life. Just in my lifetime I've gone from being the diehard rollercoaster fanatic, to an adult who still enjoys parks and rides but doesn't center his life around them. You also have an econonmy that's not in the greatest shape, so parks are doing their best to cater to the largest possible audience to sustain their business. Spending twenty million on a record breaking roller coaster may bring an influx or visitors short term, but it's not going to help your business as much as families or broad appeal will. I think the enthusiast population will always exist but it won't be as predominant as it was. When you can learn about any coaster, park, manufacturer etc. with the click of a mouse, it's hard to really be that much more in the know than anyone else ;)

• Like 3

Yes, some coaster clubs are obsolete, because the main function they served was to publish news via a newsletter about the amusement industry. In today`s world, those newsletters are obsolete by the time they even hit the printing press.

It also doesn`t help that the economy is not as prosperous as it once was. People have less disctretionary income.

I have made several good friends from this site (back when we used to have KIC days), and from other groups. That is the main focus of these enthusiast groups, is building friendships with fellow people who are equally obsessed about this industry, while most people will look at us like we are crazy.

And you see it on thise site too. Sometimes people`s interests and priorities change. Life happens. Many members who used to post here frequently are seldom, if ever heard from. I too, no longer post as much as I once did. I`m technically working three jobs, have a girlfriend, and am trying to study for the Architect Registration Exam. That leaves little time to check in on and post on KICentral or other sites. I still try to check in here and catch up on the news every now and then. And I still follow the industry very closely.

So in a long winded, round about way, I would say that the coaster enthusiast population is not dwindling. And thanks to parks offering early rides times, I`d say quite the contrary. Although, there maybe less actual members enrolled in coaster clubs.

• Like 1

I feel as if the communities are dwindking slowly but they all have those members who are diehard and will remain until the very end. I love roller coasters and amusement parks as much as i did when i found this site 8 years ago, it just gets mire and more hard to show when you get older.

Sorry for the type errors my tablet is hard to type on.

• Like 1

In my years of looking at many different sites, I can say slowly it changes every day. Yes, at points it seems as if the population is dying, or dead in some ways, but no, at other days when new members come on and post regularly. Also many actually stay on the enthusiast radar, but on other enthusiast websites. I have seen the decline in members on some sites, while there are many new members on another site, and at times old members returning. With this being said, there are many (like I) who simply just look at sites and do not join/join later in years after finding the site. I can agree with all of what has been said on this topic, and the statements made. (BB1 who sounds professional, one post at a time)

Just like with everything in life, moderation is key. For the older crowd, going to a local watering hole every now and then is a great way to have a good time or you can stay at home and cook out. You can grill a steak once in a while. But if you do something for way too long, it will become boring and you will eventually leave it (not always, some do turn obsessions into careers).

Moderation my friends, moderation.

Thoughts change and times rearrange. I still check up on this site once or twice a week and I still talk to a few members, but for me college is quickly approaching and you start to realize that maybe roller coasters aren't the most important thing in your life anymore.

• Like 3

Paul stated it best. Some enthusiasts can put a "black eye" on the perception of enthusiasts. A few bad apples can spoil it for the bunch. There are some enthusiasts who think they are entitled things when they go to the parks. This is a select minority, but they tend to stand out.

Then there are those of us who have spent 11 seasons working in the industry and still are enthralled by it. I don`t care how many times I have ridden a certain coaster, I just enjoy going to the parks for the sake of enjoying the parks.

• Like 11

I don't think the enthusiast will die, in the roller coaster riders of the world, the thrill seakers and such. I will always love the coasters, as they are iconic American History, and should be preserved as a building would be whenever possible.

But I feel everything in life the only constant is change, so its a cycle the numbers grow and decline, stay flate embrace the change is all we can do.

But myself being a father, a lover of all parks, even Disnefied pricing, love the indoor water parks too, my taste are not about hitting every new thrill, but some family time yes standing in line but enjoying rides as a family.

Like what Kings Ilsand raced to become they forgot where they came from a family park, but it evolves, and changes happen, like in poker game of the GOOD BAD AND UGLY it happens.

For those that think that the enthusiasts are dwindling, I think you have to get yourself more evolved with your hobby of coasters. Have you went to an enthusiast events lately? Have you meet up with other KIC members at KI and spent a day with them and had a fun time at the park? When I attend these events it reminds me that there are a lot of other people out there that have a passion for coasters, parks, and the industry as much as myself. Just because you don't see as many familiar faces as you used to, does not mean there are not as many new faces to meet.

I also seem to notice a few days after being at the park seeing 1/2 a dozen other KIC'ers posting about their day, which was the same day and time I was at the park and did not know it. I think there are more enthusiasts attending the park than we think, just more spread out than before. Plus, a few of the people that I know are not posing as much are now working at parks enjoying them in a different capacity, family commitments have come up, job changes, etc.

• Like 2