Bad Luck

jdawg1998

What is the worst luck you've had when visiting someplace like Kings Island, or pretty much any place you've been?

I haven't had a lot of bad luck in one whole trip, but this Sunday I'll be going to the Bengals game (first in two years). The weather says tomorrow will be 70, Saturday 70, all of next week mid 60's and all sunny. Sunday is the ONLY day it calls for rain, and it's going to be a high of 52. So, I pretty much just get bad luck with weather...every time I go anywhere.

Last year I had prepared GatorGirl for months for one of my favorite rides at Universal, Jaws. She was a little nervous about it, but I told her to remember that it was all fake. I always do research ahead of time to see if any rides are scheduled to be down for maintenance. Disney's information is very easy to find online regarding this, but I couldn't find anything for Universal.

As GatorGirl was playing in the Curious George play area, I pulled out the map and looked at the description for Jaws, which said that it would be closed for maintenance for two days: that day and the next (it had been open the day before, which we had spent at Magic Kingdom). If I had known ahead of time that it was scheduled to be closed, I would have switched our Universal and Magic Kingdom days. I was disappointed, but figured we would get it next time, whenever that might be. A few months later, they made the announcement that it was closing permanently. So I'll never get to experience one of my favorite rides with my daughter. Boo Universal! :angry:

• Like 2

The day of the SC announcement, I had bad news about a trip being cancelled, my favorite place is being destroyed, and I heard that Cheeseburger in Paradise may close soon. For me it runs in cycles, good luck, good luck, bad luck then repeat.

I did see a hat fall off of WindSeeker during one of my morning rides with my friend. It was kind of fun to watch it spiral down into the woods next to Vortex.

Not sure if this counts, but I always like to freak out my friends who are afraid of heights, who foolishly ride Drop Tower with me by saying "Wow! We're higher than Son of Beast! That's over 215' in the air!" I usually get a frantic "shut up...shut up...shut up..." Good times.

• Like 2

I planned on opening the theme park portion of my vacation this year with Wet 'n Wild on August 27. Tropical Storm Isaac had other plans. It was pouring down rain that morning, but there was little to no wind, so I called the park to find out if they were going to open and was told yes. Figuring that I was going to get drenched anyway, I was the first one there about 5 minutes before the gates opened at 10:00. I changed, got my stuff in a locker, and hit a few slides with literally no wait, and so I figured it would be a good day. Just before 11:00 got in the wave pool for a round of waves, except when the signal that the waves were going to start was given, I waited and waited and they never came on. About one minute later, they announced over the PA system that the park was closed. I went up to the gate to ask about it and was told that they had too few people in the park. They have to get 50 guests in the first hour or they close for the day. So I left. Less than two hours later, the rain stopped for the day and the sun came out for a gorgeous day, perfect for fun in the sun. If they had been able to wait it out, I'm sure they would have gotten plenty of people once the rain stopped, but Isaac screwed it up.

• Like 1

Bad luck at Kings Island: I rode Son of Beast. :D

Elsewhere: Once upon a time, I bought a Six Flags Kentucky Kingdom season pass with the intention of visiting regularly, given the park's close proximity to Holiday World (for which I'd already purchased a season pass.)

An hour after purchasing that pass on February 4, 2010, Six Flags announced Kentucky Kingdom's closure. I never got to visit.

• Like 2

This is a short version of my bad luck experience.

My car key somehow fell out of my pocket while riding DB during ERT during last years haunt. Yes they were zipped up. I'm still not sure how it happened but it did. The ride crew said they were going to look for them but they never did find them. Got a ride back to a hotel (from Indy) from a friend they dropped us off in the morning at KI because the workers said they would look for the key in the morning. Our ride left because we were confident they had the key, but they didn't have the key. I called my mom to give my backup key to my fiance's mom (my mom was working) and have here drive it to KI. My fiance's mom dropped off the key AND.... it was the wrong key... We rode back home to Indy and came back on Monday. Had the car towed to a dealer. They cut a new key.

So $225 (the cost for the key to be cut) later we were on my way home... The only positive was that a security guard (who shall remain nameless so he doesn't get in trouble) let my fiance and I in for free on sunday. It made the experience worth it because the gentleman saw we were in trouble and helped us out. Otherwise we would have literally sat out in front of KI for the entire day (our ride came at 6pm). That guy was totally awesome and we still say hello to him when we see him around the park!

• Like 1

Two years ago I was not having the best day at school and I made plans to make the two hour drive to Kings Island straight after school. I did, and I immediately got in line for Diamondback. As my friend and I were next in line the ride closed because of inclement weather. It gets worse though, the park ended up closing hours early within a few minutes. And guess what happened next? It stopped raining and was gorgeous the rest of the afternoon, yet the park stayed closed. A few KICers and myself ended up spending a very long time at LaRosa's in West Chester.

• Like 1

Wow! What great customer service, selling you a pass to a closed park. Did you get a refund?

I bought it online, so technically, I suppose, there was nothing Six Flags could have done to avoid that. (It's not like they could have updated the website beforehand to say, "Hey! Probably shouldn't buy a pass today, as we're going to close the park in an hour. Thanks, and have a Six Flags day!") And no, I didn't. Part of the closure announcement included a means of getting a pass refunded, which included mailing all evidence of purchase to Texas. That was the last I heard of the $40-$50 I spent on a pass.

On the plus side, I now jokingly threaten to shut down parks my friends are interested in visiting by purchasing a pass.

• Like 2

1979, I was 6.

Went on Beast after 4 hour wait. What a rush. Got back in line later in the day. 2 hour wait. I somehow shrunk and was not permitted to ride. Dad stuck papertowels in shoes to give me the 1/64" I needed. Waited another 2 hours. I'm at the air gates. It's 9:30pm-ish. Thunderstorm hits. Beast is closed.

:angry:

• Like 2

But you experienced "The Beach" paddle boats.

:lol: Why yes I did! That would definitely qualify for this topic!

For those of you that weren't around here in 2008 for that experience: http://www.KICentral...08/#entry261306

On a side note, we were at Coney this past Sunday and Mrs. Gator said "Ooo, I'd like to do the paddle boats!" I just gave her a look and said, "You remember what happened last time we got on one of those!?!? I'm never doing those again!"

• Like 1