Problem/Violent Guests at The Haunt

JohnnyRingo

In these past 6 Haunts I've witnessed many of my fellow actors being struck both intentionally and unintentionally. Accidents happen.. All people respond to fear differently.. Some scream, some freeze, some sing or say "Hello", some act tough, and some swing their arms wildly and/or jump around.. Sometimes the latter results in an actor getting struck and most of the time the guest apologizes. Personally, I consider it an achievement if I scare someone so bad that they lose muscle control and accidentally hit me.

But then there's the intentional.. And it's sickening. The worst I experienced was when an actress in my room (I was not in the room at the time) was struck in the ribs intentionally by an adult male. She popped out from a curtain for the scare, the man stepped back, paused, ****ed his arm, and shouted "B*tch!" and chopped her in the ribs. He ran off like a.. well.. you know. She's a trooper though and still continues to give it her all every night and is one of our most dedicated performers.

So my long-winded question is: Whether you're a guest, an actor, or an employee, what are your experiences with "problem guests" at The Haunt?

-Ringo

• Like 1

I don't know if this will be moved to the 'Violence' thread, but I recall two fellows getting frogmarched past the incoming patrons in Cornstalkers. The only thing I would have changed about the situation was having a light shown on their faces. They wanted attention, and they got it. I recall at Cut Throat Cove, The Door Pirate pointing out someone who had just left. A drink was thrown at an actor inside.

Why would someone intentionally rare back and slug a worker? Especially if he basically paid her to frighten him? If they can't handle the excitement of a night of fun, perhaps it's best they cower back to mama's basement.

(As a beer server, I had one patron tell his friends that he was going to call me over to the fence, and then drag me over it, to beat me up. It was an iron wrought spiked fence in Covington, Kentucky. I quietly stood ready, looked him square in the eye, and cracked my wrists like Bruce Lee. He left rather quickly. It takes a very small man, if you know what I mean, to become violent over trivialities.)

• Like 2

Well, this didn't happen at KI, but last night at a local attractions, a group of African American males tried to act "hard" but when the time came to go through the attraction, they started running and screaming, and eventually started to swing their arms back and forth, and then proceeded to say "I'll knock you out, soon!". So in the end, they started running and screaming like babies..

This, is exactly why I do NOT go through Haunts. I wish I could, I really do, because I Love the work put into the layout, and the theatrics aspect of the makeup and outfits that the Scareactors put on. If I could experience the Haunts simply for that, Id jump at the chance. My problem is, my tactical and unarmed combat training I received in the Police Academy and on the Force doesnt lend well to people approaching me in an aggressive manner and getting within inches of me. While my rational mind KNOWS that the Scareactors cannot and will not touch me in any way, Im trained to engage in a takedown maneuver when I am approached in the way that Scareactors are trained to do. I have gone through ONE active Haunt... Club Blood at Cedar Point last year with Indyguy4KI... and I had to go through with my hands in my pockets and stay very close to him to avoid doing something I genuinely didnt want to do to people who were simply doing what they were supposed to do.

• Like 5

When I work the door at St. Ritas (OPEN THURS-SUNDAYS IN OCTOBER THURS AND SUN 7-10pm and FRI AND SAT 7-12am!!!!!)

"I tell the people there are small spaces and small corners where an actor might bump into you by accident, I assure you they don't mean nothing by it. If they wanted to eat you they'd just go ahead and do it *pause of laughter*"

• Like 4

People are just getting uglier every year. I choose not to go to Haunt because of this. It's a shame too, because there was a time I enjoyed it. If I had my way, there would be police and security in every feasible point in the park to prevent this from happening-and very swift consequences if it did.

• Like 4

People are just getting uglier every year. I choose not to go to Haunt because of this. It's a shame too, because there was a time I enjoyed it. If I had my way, there would be police and security in every feasible point in the park to prevent this from happening-and very swift consequences if it did.

Yet, most of Cedar Point's haunts have some kind of security presence in or around the mazes.

Sparky, I can see your point of view. It would be great if you were allowed to walk through during the light just to see the theming. At least you are aware of your natural reactions to surprises to not risk it.

I crunch down, then skitter away in a Haunt. Sometimes I run. Most of the scares are couched in a sense of fun, at least to me. Every time a monster has made contact with me, it was unintentional- we're both moving, after all. It seem that Ringo is describing a poor sport that just wanted to sucker punch an actor beause he felt he could get way with it.

What a crummy life that guy must have if that's his idea of fun.

• Like 2

I would Love to be able to do that, even with the Scareactors within the Haunt so I could see the whole aspect of it, just without them coming at me. Last year, I went to Fall Freakout (the same trip that I went through Club Blood with Indyguy4KI), and as one of the Event perks we were given lights on tours of Cuthroat Cove and Eternity Infirmary. I REALLY enjoyed that, because I was able to really take my time and check out all of the work and effort put forth in the mazes, as well as kind of picture where would be good scare points for the Scareactors. The only time I got scared during those tours, was when Darlene accidentally set off a guillotine prop in Cuthroat Cove with me standing directly in front of it looking at it! LOL, Indyguy and I jumped about 3 feet in the air, as did Darlene because she didnt expect it to happen.

• Like 4

i love being a Haunt actor.

Most the people that come take a scare and move on.

Then you get the ones that think they know all about what you do and think they have to critic everything you do.

You also have the people that threaten to hit. Most of the time if the actor walks up to these folks they will just run away or fall to the floor.

I have more problems with the kids that dont really know better because there parent are telling them to do stupid stuff.

• Like 4

On Friday I accidently kneed a scareactor right in the collarbone. He/she (I don't know the gender) was on their hands and knees in Wolf Pack and I never even saw them cross my path. I apologized immediately, and felt pretty bad about it. I can't comprehend how people could do this on purpose to people who are just doing their job.

• Like 5

On Friday I accidently kneed a scareactor right in the collarbone. He/she (I don't know the gender) was on their hands and knees in Wolf Pack and I never even saw them cross my path. I apologized immediately, and felt pretty bad about it. I can't comprehend how people could do this on purpose to people who are just doing their job.

This was just like last night, they were wearing all black and they were standing in a walkway around 2 feet wide, it's dark and they are crouched down, so they are grasping my legs and all of a sudden I hear "Ouch, my finger!" It was faint but I could hear it, it may have been me that stepped on a finger, I won't find out and didn't apologize, I felt terrible for not saying anything but my throat was super dry..
  • Like 1

Wolf Pack has been very good this season, but seeing the actor on the floor seems like an incredibly easy way for them to get hurt. I wouldn't want to be in that position knowing that people sometimes wouldn't notice me until they step on me.

• Like 3

I used to do a lot of martial arts and have a tendency to swing when I get scared too. I don't mean too, but sometimes it's a reflex that I can't control. A couple years ago I elbowed an actor in Club Blood, I apologized immediately. Luckily it happened to be someone that I knew and they were fine, but I still felt bad. I usually don't go through many mazes because of this, but I still can't stand that people would do something like this on purpose, when they know that they're going to be scared.

• Like 1

What is cool, I've found out, is that if you are with a person who has honestly reached their limit, you can yell "Don't scare." As you go, and it's accepted for the most part- if they can hear you. I went through the "Work Crew" Haunt with a brother and sister we were grouped with, and he had enough halfway through. He was only about 12.

If he were burrowed any more into the back of my jacket, he would have burst though my sternum like "Alien".

• Like 5

I would Love to be able to do that, even with the Scareactors within the Haunt so I could see the whole aspect of it, just without them coming at me. Last year, I went to Fall Freakout (the same trip that I went through Club Blood with Indyguy4KI), and as one of the Event perks we were given lights on tours of Cuthroat Cove and Eternity Infirmary. I REALLY enjoyed that, because I was able to really take my time and check out all of the work and effort put forth in the mazes, as well as kind of picture where would be good scare points for the Scareactors. The only time I got scared during those tours, was when Darlene accidentally set off a guillotine prop in Cuthroat Cove with me standing directly in front of it looking at it! LOL, Indyguy and I jumped about 3 feet in the air, as did Darlene because she didn't expect it to happen.

I am almost positive you were reaching for your non existent gun as a reflex from your training!

That was the biggest scare we got at the event and was totally unintentional. Although, for me those are about the only times I am genuinely startled.

• Like 3

I was walking through one of the haunted houses at the Wilmington Haunted Hollow (The one with the roofless Bus Ride), and I came across a scare actor who was curled up on the floor and moaning about a girl customer who had just kicked him in the family jewels. Then I came across him again a few moments later as he was just falling to his knees screaming "Not again!" I started to ask him if he was the same guy who... and he cut me off saying, "Yes, that was me. She got me again!" I think he was hamming it up though and not hurt very badly, if it all. Either that or he liked it. The girls in front of us, who supposedly did this, all looked to be pretty young, like Freshmen or Sophomores in High School. This was on Saturday, Sept 29, 2012 and I can't remember if it happened in the Nightmare Penitentiary or the Slaughter Hotel, but I'm thinking it was the Nightmare Penitentiary.

I have got the "I'm not touching you" jerks that poke and shove. 2 weeks ago, 2 kids about 12 and 14 told me they were gonna kick my a$$ and actually swung on me. I laughed and made eye contact with security. While the group of 15 egged then on, they climbed the rail and did it again saying they were gonna F me up after the maze. I laughed and waved as security and Mason PD hauled them out! Lol! Then this past weekend I saw many scare actors being gropped, fondled, and 1 female almost stripped! Then I was surrounded by 6 guys bigger than me who we growling and playing "I'm not touching you" when a guy from the left cold-****ed my out of nowhere in the left ear!!! I'm a chick! WTH! So I got security and we pointed them out to PD. who does that crap?! Oh well.... Game on this weekend!!!

• Like 2

Even though it would be against my benefit, perhaps it's time to think of charging for Haunt beyond what's covered in the pass. As a pass holder, I enjoy the Haunt as lagniappe to a great season, but one person's dessert is another person's bar brawl.

Maybe because it's a 'free' event to some pass holders, and many of the attractions are in the dark, where people's true natures can shine, for better or worse, these incidents are occurring.

Charging extra for the event might keep parent' from dropping off their little darlings to raise havoc, or better yet, some parents might join in the event.

To make it an "adults only" event wouldn't solve the problem. Some adults are twice as bad, and some well behaved teens would lose out. Besides, in today' world, too many people have confused 'adult' for x-rated.

• Like 5

Sort of on that topic, a few weeks ago, after we came out of holiday horror, i saw two girls sharing a joint. How could they have gotten drugs into the park with all that security?

It just kinda bothers me. I don't know why.

They do not frisk you and ask you to remove the contents from your pockets. Now if they had smelled it on your breath, they might want to have a closer look in their security office.

• Like 1