Old Kings Island :)

TheBeastFreak56

Paramount were terrible park operators. Unfriendly employees, unnecessary removal of rides, literally trashy parks, huge entrances with lackluster exits, and the parks themselves were living advertisements for their franchise.

Top Gun: Sponsored by Gillette

Drop Zone: Stunt Tower

FACE/OFF

Congo Falls

Days of Thunder

Wings Diner

Tomb Raider: The Ride

Italian Job: Stunt Track

The Outer Limits: Flight of Fear

Yeah, I don't think I need to go on. Also, what happened with Tomb Raider and the Flying Eagles? All Paramount. (Before someone brings up the fact that FUN removed The Crypt, I'm talking about thematic differentiations and ride performance from 2002-2006.)

• Like 1

A. You went back and edited your post without acknowledging it. That's not good. When someone corrects me, I don't silently go back and fix it without acknowledging it. That's tacky and crass.

B. CBS was a division of VIACOM before it split up. CBS ended up with the parks, as the new VIACOM didn't want them.

C. If Paramount Parks was such a terrible operator, why did Cedar Fair see fit to pay $1.24 billion for its five parks and to claim that Paramount was one of the best operators in the business?

• Like 5

I only like the Paramount era for a few reasons...

A- Boomerang Bay- Originally Crocodile Dundee's Boomerang Bay, it added a few attractions we know and love today. Also it added a australian theme to the waterpark, which I love, and miss today. One of my favorite sites now for my memories http://www.KICentral.com/bbay/

B- FearFest- This brung about one of my favorite attractions, Psycho Path.

A. You went back and edited your post without acknowledging it. That's not good. When someone corrects me, I don't silently go back and fix it without acknowledging it. That's tacky and crass.

I dont see anything wrong with that. I do that all the time. In my eyes it makes it easier for guests/members to understand the information that is given.

Let's not negate the inappropriateness of using "tacky and crass" as to insinuate someone's behavior is 'less than', or inferior to someone else's.

In my opinion, regardless of who you are, disrespectful is disrespectful.

And to be perfectly frank, there are some who might say responding to a simple question with an answer like "yes, someone can" could be construed as tacky. The first time, it was cute... meanwhile, years and years later...

I would just think the users of this website would want to provide the most welcoming environment possible. I would certainly hate for a user to feel belittled or even attacked and courtesy of the overflowing altruism on this forum, I'm sure that rarely occurs.

Didn't someone once say "leave the moderating to the moderators" ?

(I double checked, and going back to edit a post, is not a violation of the beloved Terms of Service)

• Like 1

I didn't like KI so much when it was owned by Paramount as I like it now. The way it is now, and what it's becoming is not only more like KI when I was a kid, but more like Disneyland when I was a kid, and that's a compliment. It's more special now, not just some little park that happens to be nearby.

At first I thought the Peanuts characters were too few in number, and that the theme would be redundant, but now, I see Snoopy and think of KI. I've grown to like the characters more because of it. The kid's park is better because of it, it has a more unified theme and is not as junky looking as when Paramount owned it. Let's face it, Nickelodeon was cute at the time, but all that artistic gloppiness didn't age well.

Paramount had a lot of grey sparseness due to the movies at the time, and Tom Cruise reminders around every corner, creeping me out.

• Like 1

Before I get into my response, let me say that while Terp may not be a moderator (He may or may not be, i don't pay a ton of attention to titles)- he is like the ki central 'elder statesman' with generally more respect than the average chimp here.

That being said, the general breakdown of the park theming started under Paramount. Rides with no relatability to the area theme started to spring up. To be fair though, I'm not sure where Dinosaurs Alive fits 'coney mall.' Ride-wise Paramount did bring in a good selection if thrill rides along with an expanded kid's area that continues to win awards.

It's good that the Parks sold when they did; if they had to maintain the parks through the recession, i think they'd be in worse shape now, physically.

Overall I think they are in better hands with Cf, BUT- under Paramount, KI was the flagship park enjoying many of the first fruits as well as record -breaking attractions. That title now belongs to and only to Cedar Point.

• Like 2

I like the Dinos at Coney. Coney, to me, has a fairground quality to it, and the Dinos feel like a sideshow to me. Coney is the first place a kid has free reign after Planet Snoopy. Coney's a little corny, like a Tennessee fireworks stand.

Anyone who's been to Gatlinberg has to notice the fluorescent TRex and Ferris wheel on the highway.

• Like 1

PARAMOUNT/CBS wins, as Cedar Fair does not keep the flagship parks up as well, ask those that like Knotts before the knotts family sold.

Knotts family was scared that it would be lot less knotts under Disney (one of possible buyers), so they went with Cedar Fair.

More thrills less family...

Old Kings Island anyday!

• Like 1

I've used this image before and it seems like a good time to use it again. Whenever the Paramount v. Cedar Fair debate is brought up, I will use this.

30hsdqr.jpg

Now, perhaps this was just a bad day at the park (which it was miserable, might I add), but there is absolutely no reason for this. Cedar Fair has done a spectacular job at coming in and cleaning up a much needed dirty park. Cedar Fair has my vote.

• Like 7

I've visted KI extensively under its orginal owners\operators, paramount, and Cedar Fair. I also worked for KI for 3 season under paramount. Overall I liked paramount the best, closely followed by the KECO(original owner, later operator). I think the theming of Paramount was great, but I like a lot of the classic stuff that Paramount got rid of that I grew up with.