How fast can you make it to Kings Island?

CoasterOhio

It takes me about one hour and 55 minutes to get from driveway to parking lot. I live on the south side of Indianapolis. I wont get there any faster especially since I got a speeding ticket on 74 near the Lawrenceburg exit. I'm still trying to figure out where that cop was posted up... haha

Same here. 3.5 hours to CP from my house, but the length isn't the issue for me. It's the two-lane roads and navigating through town after town on Route 4 that get to me.

I hate the route to Cedar Point. It's all farm after farm after farm, which gets boring when it's 3 hours of it!

Farms and 2-lane roads are less boring than interstate, but such routes do take significantly more time.

From Columbus, Route 61 to Route 598 is a much better (i.e. less congested) drive to Sandusky than Route 4. There is a busy railroad crossing without a signal, so do watch out!

EDIT:

It takes me about one hour and 55 minutes to get from driveway to parking lot. I live on the south side of Indianapolis. I wont get there any faster especially since I got a speeding ticket on 74 near the Lawrenceburg exit. I'm still trying to figure out where that cop was posted up... haha

If large trucks are going the speed limit, you should be under it. This is doubly true if you're currently out-of-state.

We made from Indianapolis to very close to KI in about 1 hour once...which was too quick for the park (it was still an hour before opening, this was during HH 2010), so we stopped to eat and ended up arriving at our usual 1 1/2 hour time...which is our normal. However, once we got stuck behind a super-slow semi truck and that added a whole 20 minutes to our "wait"... :P

• Like 1

Same here. 3.5 hours to CP from my house, but the length isn't the issue for me. It's the two-lane roads and navigating through town after town on Route 4 that get to me.

I hate the route to Cedar Point. It's all farm after farm after farm, which gets boring when it's 3 hours of it!

Farms and 2-lane roads are less boring than interstate, but such routes do take significantly more time.

Boredom isn't the issue. It's just that I'm more comfortable on the interstate than I am on country roads. After an hour or so on country roads with little to no traffic, I tend to get distracted and have to consciously force myself to concentrate on the road ahead. On interstates, the constantly changing traffic situation around me keeps me alert and properly focused on my driving the whole way.

It takes me about 3hrs and 20min to get there. It really isnt that bad of a drive, but for some of you that live very close, it would be considered torturous.

^^^ that drive is similar to mine to CP, but it's the two-lane roads that make me crazy, not the actual drive.

FINALLY. Someone understands.

I will always and forever passionately loathe Route 4. You're never going fast enough for the other drivers, and you will see absolutely nothing for the entire 3 hours you're on it. (Most exciting thing: passing the Magnetic Springs, OH sign when they're advertising the Spring Water Festival.) It feels two hours longer than the 4 hours it takes to drive to Holiday World just because it sucks so much.

• Like 2

From Columbus to Kings Island, and if I go a steady 75 mph on I-71 south with minimal traffic, about an hour and twenty minutes. Give or take. Sometimes I like to step it up to 80 mph. Yeah, I'm a speeder.

Careful about the speed traps; they're sometimes ready to pull several cars over at a time.

I go whatever travel lane traffic is going, usually somewhere between 65 and 75 mph, and it takes 1.5-2 hours depending on traffic. People that stay in the left lane, flying through at 80, are annoying.

I wonder if either of you, or someone else, have ever passed me (or another KICer on I-71).

It usually takes me just under 90 minutes/90 miles.

• Like 1

Boredom isn't the issue. It's just that I'm more comfortable on the interstate than I am on country roads. After an hour or so on country roads with little to no traffic, I tend to get distracted and have to consciously force myself to concentrate on the road ahead. On interstates, the constantly changing traffic situation around me keeps me alert and properly focused on my driving the whole way.

You'd love driving in Atlanta.

Never a dull moment!

• Like 1

I wonder if either of you, or someone else, have ever passed me (or another KICer on I-71).

It's possible, considering we'd likely be timing ourselves to get to the park around the same time. For what it's worth, I was there on the first Sunday of the season, the first Soak City "preview" day, August 24, last Friday for the "KIC Haunt" thing, and one other time I can't think of the date for.

One of those trips, I took Rt 42 (2-line road most of the way) instead of I-71 all the way to Mason, driving through Cedarville, Xenia, and Lebanon. It's about the same distance and much more scenic than I-71, but I don't suppose jcgoble3 would like that route. (I'm going slower on these roads, so extra gas mileage is also a bonus.)

For anyone wanting to know my rout I take 3. Get on 741 and just make a b-line all the way there. Or get into 75 until State rout 62 and follow that over to 741 and finish it off. Or our new favorite (Because of the new Jack in the Box) 75 all the way to the Mason exit.

I think you mean Route 63 not 62. We always take 75 to 63 to 741.

• Like 1

Amen - that and you don't have to worry about someone coming head-on into you. I swerved to avoid a large pickup that was at least a foot on my side, in the rain and slick roads - worked out ok but I didn't see him because there was an SUV in front of me, until he was just 'there'. Also, it's far easier to get assistance on the interstate and get out of the way if you have a problem.

• Like 1

It takes me about 3hrs and 20min to get there. It really isnt that bad of a drive, but for some of you that live very close, it would be considered torturous.

^^^ that drive is similar to mine to CP, but it's the two-lane roads that make me crazy, not the actual drive.

FINALLY. Someone understands.

I will always and forever passionately loathe Route 4. You're never going fast enough for the other drivers, and you will see absolutely nothing for the entire 3 hours you're on it. (Most exciting thing: passing the Magnetic Springs, OH sign when they're advertising the Spring Water Festival.) It feels two hours longer than the 4 hours it takes to drive to Holiday World just because it sucks so much.

I must confess, I could be one of the other drivers. It's 55 most of the way, so I like round numbers ie 60. Can't stand 50, the Mach1 just doesn't like to go that slow unless it's night. Deer just don't pay attention! lol

You'd love driving in Atlanta.

Never a dull moment!

Gridlock is not good on my nerves or my temper. I prefer a balance of traffic both heavy enough to keep me alert and light enough that I can drive the speed limit. That said, I have driven through downtown Atlanta on I-75 four times: 3:30 pm on a Tuesday in 2010, 10:00 am on the next Tuesday, 2:30 on a Monday this past August, and 10:00 am on a Tuesday last month. Managed to time it to miss rush hour every time, thankfully.

Amen - that and you don't have to worry about someone coming head-on into you. I swerved to avoid a large pickup that was at least a foot on my side, in the rain and slick roads - worked out ok but I didn't see him because there was an SUV in front of me, until he was just 'there'. Also, it's far easier to get assistance on the interstate and get out of the way if you have a problem.

That's another thing that I hate about two-lane roads. Interstates are safer and easier to get assistance if needed.

I used to take the I-71/Rts 23 and 4 way to CP from Cincinnati but discovered that it was quicker taking I-75 to Rt 6.

If you're coming from inside the 275 loop or even just outside I'd wholeheartedly agree with this. It's a little longer from a miles perspective but you deal with way fewer lights, have fewer potential traffic issues (and law enforcement!) and is more consistent in the time it takes to navigate there.

• 1 month later...