Complaint: The Racer

Chatter

Okay, my 8 year old rode The Racer backward the other day and came off crying. She is not afraid of anything, so fear had nothing to do with it. She got totally bonked around and hurt herself.

My family use to love riding The Racer.......but that ride is way too rough anymore. Is Kings Island considering doing any modifications to the ride to make it smoother? Let me know. Thanks.

Ok guys thats harsh lets stop it. Hmm racer is usually pretty good. A good Idea would be to let the park know about it. It hasn't been hot enough for the wood to expand and contract alot. You may have caught it inbettween adjustments. Next time try a front car and see if that helps. Racer is a pretty straight ride it shouldn't bang you too much.

I've never considered The Racers rough. You must have caught a ride on it on a bad day. Coasters do go through these kinds of things. I would agree that you should let Guest Relations know. They might just take it with a grain of salt at first, but if enough people complain, I'm sure they will look into it.

The back of the train is by far rougher than the front of the train and as my good friend Hablo said try sitting in the middle of a car.

They have been trying to make it smoother this summer. It is not just something they can do in a couple of hours. It takes time. I have ridden it plenty of times this year it is usually getting smoother. I rode yesterday in the back and it was very rough.

Sometimes when I ride it, its smooth, and sometimes its really rough, I guess it just depends. I remember riding it at night one time, and I got jerked around like crazy, but earlier that day it wasnt rough at all.

After my last couple of trips, I've found that the backwards racer is actually pretty bumpy sometimes at the bottom of the first 2 hills. By "bumpy" I mean that my back was quickly being shaken and slammed against the seat. It didn't happen everytime, and I'm not sure where I was but I think the area I was in had something to do with it, but it does happen. My little sister complained a little about it, though I shrugged her off saying it's just because it's wooden and it's supposed to be bumpy. I think it has more to do with age than anything. It's a really old coaster, so it's got to show its age sometime. Still one of the best in the park though.

I think one of the best kept secrets in the park is the backwards racer. It really smooth and still has tons of airtime. And if you get the back seat you get all the airtime and a nice view of the track! wink.gif

I can't agree with you more. I haven't ridden (forwards) Racer since 2000 or 2001. Once you go back, you can never go back (?). To me, recaR seems quite smooth for a woodie (except during the cooler mornings on The Beast).

When I was there last night I was riding the monster (July 29th 9:30ish) recaR was stopped at the top of the lift for what I seen to be about 20 minutes. I didn't hear what was up but I did see it. 3 employees ventured up and appeared to talk to guests that were stranded but nobody got off and came down so I guess it wasn't anything serious.

I would agree that you should let Guest Relations know.  They might just take it with a grain of salt at first, but if enough people complain, I'm sure they will look into it.

We NEVER take any situation "with a grain of salt." Each situation that comes to Guest Relations about a ride (as long as it is documented VIA an Action Report) is brought to the Rides Manager and the Rides OD's attention. Then the document is entered into the Action report database and HAS to be followed through by a rides manager. So whenever you fill out that sheet of paper, good or bad, its ALWAYS looked at by Upper management.

Back on the Origional subject:

Chatter, when you visit the park again this season, please stop by Guest Relations and fill out an Action Report. This may not seem like much to everyone in the forums here, but it is/can be a bigger issue than most people think, and filling that out can get something done about it.

Thanks!

m@ilman

I want to know if the lapbar was stuck or if it was the ride being rough. Whenever we have a child cry we try our hardest to satisfy the child or the parent. If you think The Racer is rough than its not our problem. People got to remember that you ride at your own risk. Our mateience guys are out there every day trying everything work perfect on that ride. Going to guest relations aren't going to make The Racer smoother. All the complaints get blamed on us, and not on the people how actually fix the ride. So basically we get blamed for something we can't control.

iHablo!- come visit me

Hey m@ilman, I didn't know that. I wasn't trying to underplay the importance of reporting something to guest relations. I was just saying that if only one person complains about a coaster being too rough, then they won't take it that seriously. However, if many people complain, then I can see them really looking in to it.