Holiday World: "Something New" for 2013 - UPDATE: Announcement Tuesday 10/23

They've said an announcement is coming for a few weeks now on Facebook when people have asked. As far as what it is... I've got nothing. I'm doubtful it will be a coaster, based on the way that planning for it seems to have fallen by the wayside behind Bluegrass Boardwalk and Happy Halloween Weekends. Outside of that... Who knows?

On the note of HHW: I've said it elsewhere on here, but that's a nice little event. I encourage everyone here (especially those with kids) to check it out if you get the chance. It's small and doesn't take over the whole park atmosphere the way Halloween Haunt does at KI, but it's charming without feeling cheesy. The touches they add do bring something unique to the park (especially the corn maze and various Halloween decorations around the park, though the 3D "haunted" house is also cool.)

Oh Screamscape. http://screamscape.com/html/holiday_world.htm

Holiday World talks to the local news about their new Happy Halloween Weekends event and also confirms that they will likely not have a new project for 2013. But they also mention that they have big projects in the works for 2014, 2015 and 2016 already.

Oh Screamscape. http://screamscape.c...liday_world.htm

Holiday World talks to the local news about their new Happy Halloween Weekends event and also confirms that they will likely not have a new project for 2013. But they also mention that they have big projects in the works for 2014, 2015 and 2016 already.

"likely not have a new project for 2013" (Screamscape) ≠ "may not be a big project in 2013" (linked article)

There is a "big" difference between those two statements.

http://www.courierpress.com/news/2012/oct/04/no-headline---holidayworld/

"We did a great big project for 2012, so there may not be a big project in 2013," Koch said. "But I promise you, there are big, big projects coming for 2014, 2015 and 2016. They are already on the drawing board, but I am sworn to secrecy."

I personally am not expecting anything in 2013. I haven't seen anything in the terms of survey markers and/or clearings. (Besides an attraction almost identical to 3 Point Challenge being constructed in 4th of July right to the far side of Sparkler.)

They have been dropping indications on the parks first steel coaster semi-recently as some of you may recall. I can definitely see that coming in that 2014-2016 range. Easily.

• Like 1

HW is pretty good at being open to their fans and customers about their plans. I like how they tease us with small details about future attractions. I can only wonder what they have up their sleeves for the next few years! I'm guessing they are due for a coaster. I think they want bridge the intensity gap between the Howler and the Raven. That would be nice to see from the park.

My bet is on a family metal coaster, that the whole family could ride. 2014

Also maybe a expansion for splashin safari 2015

and 2016, a new land?

st pattys land, green luck o irish, root beer gardens ( to up hold holiday worlds no alcohol family friendly).

with many themed rides.

new dark ride?

• Like 1

You know, I have always been a HUGE fan of Holiday World. But as I go over and over again to the park, my only complaint and it may be a petty one considering that people like me don't consist of much of HW's revenue. But I feel like I can have a blast at Holiday World, for about 4-5 hours. Not the whole 8-9 hours that the park is open. Luckily for me, I have a pass and can come back as often as I want. But once me and others in my party (normally high schoolers) hit all of the coasters 3 or 4 times and all of the flats once or twice, it's not hard to ask "What else?"

There is alot for the families to do, but for the more extremists? Not so much.

With all of this being said, I still LOVE the park and am understanding that they are a "family park". I just hope that they continue with the world class thrills they've had a history with on their coasters.

• Like 1

Sorry for the double post, but unless I'm mistaken, I do believe that Holiday World owns a decent amount of land across the highway adjacent to 4th of July. Along with the land on the opposite side of the highway from Thanksgiving. Is it possible for HW to connect the park or add on over or under the highway?

I'm completely dreaming at this point, but who knows.

Does anyone know the actual undeveloped acreage the Kochs own? And where that land is located?

But once me and others in my party (normally high schoolers) hit all of the coasters 3 or 4 times and all of the flats once or twice, it's not hard to ask "What else?"

Splashin' Safari.

Does anyone know the actual undeveloped acreage the Kochs own? And where that land is located?

The county auditor does.

Their auditor's website even has a handy map that lets you click on individual parcels and see who owns each one:

http://spencer.in.wthgis.com/ (Just zoom in and start clicking the parcels you're curious about)

You can also do this for Warren, Erie, and beyond!

• Like 3

Wow thanks alot.

This may be an extremely stupid question. But I'm going to ask it anyways cause its bugged the crap out of me for awhile. People around these parts always claim that Holiday World will never get a steel coaster or a looper because then they couldn't be called a "family park." This is completely abserd, isn't it?

FOFreak,

There may be a sliver of truth behind what you've heard.

I remember reading an interview with Will Koch years ago. He made the case that wooden coasters are generally more family oriented than steel ones, and therefore woodies are a better fit for his "family park". Think of Raven vs. something like Raptor or Top Thrill Dragster. Many grandparents and small kids (and coasterphobics) might give Raven a chance but not go near Raptor or Dragster. Now, we know that there are plenty of exceptions (Voyage is much more intense than Big Thunder Mountain Railroad), but I think Will was referring to the bigger, more intimidating steel coasters.

Disclaimer: this is from my memory, and years ago, so I might have it all wrong.

I did not interpret his words to mean "never" a steel coaster at HW, rather "this is why we build wooden coasters here, not steel".

I think I read this before Voyage was built, for what it's worth. Even if he were still with us, it's hard to for me to imagine him building a 4th wooden coaster before venturing into steel.

From the signs I've been seeing, don't expect much. Especially because on the HW Twitter it was said to be 'names' instead of name of 2013 attractions. So looks like we won't just be getting a something. We'll be getting a couple somethings. The most I'm looking forward to is a new area. But I'm even extremely skeptical on that.

Side note, Holiday World has incredible fireworks shows on the 4th of July.

Maybe they're getting a wavepool to double their waterpark acreage.

They already have two wave pools, so I doubt it.

My guess is a slide complex featuring multiple slides. It makes sense because in quote "So looks like we won't just be getting a something. We'll be getting a couple somethings." It could be interpreted that they aren't just getting a slide, they will be getting a couple of slides. I'd love to see some body slides for once.