Holiday World: "Something New" for 2013 - UPDATE: Announcement Tuesday 10/23

Guest TombraiderTy

Fireworks can be very expensive. And often with little or no return on investment, unless you make them special (like what Coney does with July 3rd and now the fireworks competition).

I'd have to disagree with little or no return on investment. Similar to Cedar Point's Luminosity or Six Flags' Glow-in-the-Park parades, fireworks encourage guests to stay at the park into the night and potentially spend more money on food, games, merchandise, etc.

• Like 2

I predict that there will be be a new diving show theater for 2013. Yesterday at Happy Halloween Weekends, while in line for the Raven, my boys asked where the dive show was. "It's right over......oh. It's gone." That's right, completely wiped off the map. No concrete, no dive tank visible. No nothing. I did see the benches neatly lined up near the woods, and a bulldozer nearby. Later on the kind employee at Goblin Burger confirmed my suspicions that "they are probably just rebuilding the theater". I hope so, since we always enjoy the dive show.

• Like 4

Now that I think about it, that sounds like an extremely plausible hypothesis ya got there! I do recall seeing that (minus the bulldozer) on my trip on the 6th. I thought it was just annual offseason preparation, But you may be on to something. I can recall countless times that the dive show has been absolutely packed with viewers. Almost blocking the midway somedays. In addition, I have seen the word "improvements" thrown around by Holiday World PR. So this could make alot of sense.

• Like 1

Okay, this is just a general land ownership/taxes information.

I was digging around on the land parcels map around Holiday World and was looking at the subdivision due north of the park. And I found out that some of the parcels in that area are owned by Koch Development Cooperation, while some other parcels are listed as being owned by Holiday Village Sub Div. Now, I dug a little deeper and recognized that Koch Development Cooperation had been documented for paying taxes on a good number of these parcels.

What does this mean? Would that mean Koch Development would own these parcels and do what they wish on the land? I'm not too informed on this topic.

Just got the latest email newsletter from HW. According to it, the 2013 "additions" will include something for each park plus the renaming of a major ride. The announcement will be made via their website and on Facebook next Tuesday.

So now we know it's more than just one new thing. What could they be? And what ride are they renaming? Let the speculation begin! (as if it hadn't already begun :P)

I would hardly consider Sparkler to be a "major" ride anyway. Pilgrim's Plunge, the three woodies, and possibly Liberty Launch are the only rides in the dry side of the park that I would consider "major". Given that, I'm leaning toward the renaming occurring in the waterpark.

• Like 1

On a little side note here, but for those of you that have been, how have the crowds been at Happy Halloween Weekends? I'm going Saturday and would like to know. I also heard that The Legend is already closed for the season due to track work. :( Which if you think about it, it is the 3rd best of the woodies, but still. Anyways, Thanks :)

^^ At least the first weekend, the crowds are nearly nonexistent. It's a great time to visit the park. I'm not even a park show watcher, and I enjoyed their Halloween music show. Their "haunted" house is neat, too, and I found the corn maze fairly entertaining. The rides, of course, are wonderful as always.

KI lover, this past Saturday the lines were mostly short.

There was 1 train operation on both coasters, which meant average lines of 15 minutes on the Raven, and 20-25 on Voyage. Depending on the row and time of day, you can probably find 5 minute waits too.

I don't think you've got anything to worry about with the crowds. The line for the corn maze looks longer and slower than it really is.

Make sure you explore the entire park and look for the dioramas, they are fun.

I hope you have as much fun as we did!

For more info, check out my post in the trip reports forum.

• Like 1

My guess for the "renaming" is Raging Rapids. While not a "premier" ride, I think it's fair to call it a "major ride". Plus, it's the only dry ride who's name and logo are not really themed to the area.

In the water park, my guess the "the Wave" (pool), for the same reasons.

Based on my track record with guessing Holiday World announcements, you can be certain it won't be those. ;^)

• Like 1

I keep running through my mind all the rides at Holiday World and thinking of new names for them that would fit; the one that I would like changed the most is Raging Rapids, because it really has nothing to do with the 4th of July. The problem is, what would it be renamed to?

Edit: I could also see Dasher's Sea Horses being renamed/rethemed. Sea horses? What? I never understood it.

This was in their newsletter.

We have lots in store for you next year and can't wait to share news of the additions headed our way. That's right, we said additions. Do we have your attention yet?

Stay tuned for the 2013 reveal - something for each park, plus the re-naming of a major ride. We'll have the update in next week's newsletter (if you'd like to know sooner, watch our website and Facebook page for the announcement Tuesday).

The quote button is giving me a hard time again. It never works right for me.

And why exactly would they rename a ride that just opened this season? My hunch says it will be another ride. They surely must have a reason for renaming said ride.

A theory I have for Sparkler being renamed is the ride was named through a naming contest and they might be having second thoughts about it. I'm just not sure though because there are plenty of examples of fan named rides that have been used for decades.

I do believe that "Dog Fart" takes the cake for best coaster name.

http://rcdb.com/1332.htm

The literal translation of the coaster, Hundeprutterutchebane, in Danish is "dog fart"

I love the theming of that big dog taking a leak on the tree! :lol: