New Park Entrance

DBInternational

Hey guys,

I was browsin around the internet today and happened to stumble upon these renderings done by some guy on flickr. I'm not sure if its something serious or if its just an idea somebody came up with. What do you think? (either way, i think this would look sweet at the front of the park)

heres the link to the page:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/matthunterross/sets/72157630016587104/detail/

Thanks again,

DBI

Looks good! I wonder if he or she had seen the Soak City entrance before designing the last two. The other style, though, is very cool! Reminiscent of Disneyland, a little. It would make a great compliment to Soak City's new entrance.

Renderings that look like a Magic Kingdom speil, meh. Anyways, this was probably from a enthusiast's memoir of renderings of dreams, like my many renderings for new Boomerang Bay rides and slides.

• Like 1

I bet the debate over a front gate would be over if we got something to the extent of a gate keeper type addition?

You would be surprised what people will complain about.

-Brown- who remembers some KIC members, pre-CF, complaining about just discussing having a 200'+ coaster in the park because how it would "pierce the sky" & ruin the skyline.

• Like 1

Have you ever heard about the old expression, "if it's not broken, don't fix it?" As long as the current front entrance is serving its purpose, why replace it? Several years ago they rehabbed the current Guest Services office rather than have just window for people to inquire from.

• Like 2

In my opinion ,besides the stores changing, don't add, change or demolish anything on international street. Leave the buildings there, leave the Eiffel Tower there, leave the fountains there, get rid of the animatronic dinosaur for God sake and make International street look like it did in the good old days so younger people, like me as well as many others, can see what the old KI looked like.

International Street has been slowly changing and evolving the last few seasons. You may not have realized it. The park has removed some of the trees and planters and put in more tables and sitting areas.

I still would like to see a nice new lighting package incorporated into the Royal Fountain, to play off the lighting for the Eiffel Tower. I would agree that the front entrance could use some sprucing up. Not necessarily a brand new entrance building, but a major renovation to the entrance would be nice to freshen it up a bit.

• Like 2

Not to mention that International Street has changed dramatically over the years, from the removal of the curbs to the differences in the areas bordering the fountain itself. The area looks far different than it did in 1972. The shops also look less festive and are far less international than they once were. Even the Eiffel Tower is different. I miss the much darker, nearly olive green.

• Like 2

Guest TombraiderTy

If International Street was to never change, and instead be permanently stuck as it was in 1972, there'd be no International Restaurant and the park's entrance would be a single-story building. There'd also immensely smaller restrooms, no International Showplace or Kings Island Theater (well, not the one we're used to), and the floral date would not yet exist. As has been said, change is inevitable and is a great thing.

• Like 3

Let's not forget everything housed in the front gate: turnstiles (obviously), a restaurant, two sets of restrooms, offices, two merchandise locations, and lockers. I doubt they're going to want to replace all that any time soon, especially since it's not likely that a new gate would be the massive hulk that the current one is.