Lift Hill Chains

Hank

Question.....

Are the lift hill chains left on the track during the winter?

Also......

Is anything applied to the track before summer, during the summer season, and after closing (for protection during winter)? And, if so, how is it done? Is there a machine built to do this task? Is stuff just applied with a brush?

I'd like to know.

I don't know, but it looks like the Adventure Express lift chain gets lubricated with plenty of grease, as indicated by the massive pile of "excess" that has fallen off of it. :)

Look over your left shoulder when going up the first lift hill (I think) and you'll see what I mean, unless they've cleaned it up recently. (this would probably make that a pile of grease that has fallen off of the second lift hill)

• 2 weeks later...

I'm not certain if the chains are removed, but I'd have to guess that they're not since it would be a pretty large feat. However, if you want a possible indicator to the contrary, remember that The Racer's 2nd lift hill chain is removed on each side early in the season every year.

Question.....

Also......

Is anything applied to the track before summer, during the summer season, and after closing (for protection during winter)? And, if so, how is it done? Is there a machine built to do this task? Is stuff just applied with a brush?

I'd like to know.

Lift hill chains are not removed from any coaster for any reason other than replacement. For steel coasters, other than when it recieves a new paint job, nothing is applied to the tracks. Wood coaster tracks recieve oil throughout the season whenever deemed necessary. No machine, all done by hand.

• Like 1

Question.....

Also......

I'd like to know.

Lift hill chains are not removed from any coaster for any reason other than replacement. For steel coasters, other than when it recieves a new paint job, nothing is applied to the tracks. Wood coaster tracks recieve oil throughout the season whenever deemed necessary. No machine, all done by hand.

Good info!

The 2nd chain of The Racer is not removed, but pulled under the track, right?

• Like 1

Wood coaster tracks recieve oil throughout the season whenever deemed necessary. No machine, all done by hand.

Tracks receive oil? Do you know this for sure?

I'm just curious, because I would think friction between the wheels and the track is actually desirable. (wheels are meant to roll, not slide ;) )