New anything in 2013?

TheBEASTunchained

As mentioned above, here's a link to an article about Ouimet at the Batavia plant, mentioning Kings Island as "on his radar".

http://news.yahoo.com/ohio-theme-parks-ceo-staycations-fun-075033518--finance.html

In my mind, this confirms a new coaster for KI in 2014! :D

It might prove difficult for me to keep from wondering exactly what it will be now!

I'm still hopeful for a B&M Floorless roller coaster. Ohio needs one since we don't have Dominator anymore.

I can go for one of those. All the pictures I searched for of floorless coasters look pretty gnarly.

If it is going in the spot once occupied by SoB, I hope it is unique, massive, and epic just like SoB was. :wub:

• Like 1

This came up in another thread, but I think it's a fabulous idea. I'd like a Peanuts dark ride boat ride reminiscent of the Smurfs ride. I think it's time for Boo Blasters to go and for something to occupy that space that's more in line with Planet Snoopy and something that would be just as memorable as the Enchanted Voyage or the Smurfs. Something like a Peanuts dark ride could really bring back that classic feel to the area and would be something that could be enjoyed by families for many, many years!

• Like 7

As a father of a 4.5 year old that has "had" to ride Boo Blasters at least once, if not 2-3 times each trip for the last 2 seasons, I'd be sad to see it go. Sure, I wish the guns worked consistantly (seems like the gun on the right side of the car is always the worst), but I know its a huge hit with not only him, but the lines we often sit thru that are longer than most, in Planet Snoopy. I grew up on the smurf ride, and loved it, but IIRC it was a "ride once" type experience and move on. Boo Blasters is one you can ride multiple times, every trip and still be entertined. I'd love for it to be upgraded a bit, better more reliable blasters, perhaps better scenery w/n the space, but as an attraction it works well.

• Like 2

I grew up on the smurf ride, and loved it, but IIRC it was a "ride once" type experience and move on.

I disagree that it was a "ride once" experience. I think those old dark rides were classics! They were something that became trip traditions. Even up through the Phantom Theater, these were rides that my friends, family, and I would ride at least once during every visit. We usually would hit them up twice, once when we got there and once when we left. To say that if a dark ride isn't interactive you can't ride it more than once is kind of ridiculous. That's like saying that Pirates of the Caribbean, Splash Mountain, and The Haunted Mansion at Disney World are "ride once" experiences. I think that if the ride is done well, with interesting characters, scenery, and music that people will want to ride it again and again. I feel that's what we had with The Enchanted Voyage, Smurfs, and Phantom Theater and I think we could have something just as memorable if only someone would put the effort into making it that way.

• Like 8

My four year old liked Boo Blasters until we got close to the end of the ride,she got freaked out and wouldnt go near it the rest of the season. I think she would have loved the Smurf ride. Next year she will probably be o.k with it,but she was not a happy camper that day! I do miss the Smurf ride myself,but my wife loves Boo Blasters,probably because she always wins and refers to herself as the Master Blaster the rest of the day. :angry:

• Like 1

^ I think that the end part of Boo Blasters is a little freaky for younger kids. That dark room with all the growling, screaming skeletons with glowing eyes is a bit much to take in. I remember thinking that my niece and nephew wouldn't like that at all and probably would be a little too scared to ride after experiencing that part. I questioned why they put something like that in a ride that was supposedly designed for families.

• Like 3

I guess that is where we dissagree voice, like you'd I'd ride the smurf ride every trip, even as I got older as the AC was a comfort relief, but once you rode it once, I never felt the need to go back again during the day. Pirates of the carribean is a little different, there are 2 "splash downs" during that ride, the one where to go into complete darkness definently inspires the senses (even though the drop ends up being small, the fact that you can only hear it gets you going) The smurf ride had 1 small splash down, and frankly it wasn't anything to talk about. I'd compare the smurf ride more to "its a small world afterall" ride at Disney. I could never envision riding that ride twice during a trip. The Haunted mansion is much more emersive than the smurf ride ever was. Between the elevator drop and the projected ghost sitting on the seat with you when you go past the mirrors, it gives last memories, but again its not something I'd personally do more than once on a trip. If my son wants to ride Boo Blasters 3 or more times on a trip, unless the lines are long it doesn't really bother me much, at least I can always aim for a better score. Another thought to consider, a boat ride like Pirates or the Smurf ride can be hard for some people to get in or out of, its a fairly sized step down into the boat for some older people, Boo Blasters isn't as bad, makes it a little easier for grandma to ride with grandson.

All that said, I'd still love another dark ride, I just don't see the need to get rid of Boo Blasters, just the need to improve the experience a bit. Heck, if they just made sure all the guns worked each time, every car, I'd be happy.

I wondered the same thing about the skeletons at the end when my son first rode it at 2 or 3, but it never fazed him for whatever reason. It does seem like a sharp step up from the rest of the attraction in terms of scariness.

• Like 2

^ I agree that The Haunted Mansion and Pirates of the Caribbean are/were much better rides than the Smurf ride. That's why I said, "that if the ride is done well, with interesting characters, scenery, and music that people will want to ride it again and again." That's why if KI ever puts in a new dark ride, I'd like to see them put some effort into it and do it well. Make it a staple for the park like Pirates and Haunted Mansion are for Disney. KI could have a memorable dark ride if they wanted to. They just can't skimp on the scenery and add cardboard cut outs like they did with Boo Blasters. It would have to be something more substantial than that.

• Like 2

Ok, seems like we're on the same page on what would need to be put in to be "successful", I wonder if a pirates style ride is a posibility in that building. Would you need a bigger building?

my idea, fwiw, is to build something in the "new area" that would include many of the dinos from the dino area. I have no idea what happens to these dinos once the Dinosaurs Alive agreement is over. I don't know if they're KIs to keep, if they have an option to purchase them, if they go back to the intalling company to be used elsewhere, etc.., but my idea is to use them in an imersive dark ride based upon 3 different rides at Disney parks. It would be a boat ride, similar to the river excurastion at Animal kingdom, most of it relaxing with a "guide" that informs you about the dinosaurs that you are seeing, I'd include a "dark" splashdown similar to Piates, then I'd include some sort of double fall, with the 2nd drop being a backwards drop like the epcot ride, perhaps coming down the 1st drop and getting face to face with a t-rex, while the boat spins around and all of a sudden you drop down backwards down the 2nd hill.

Finally to tie it all in, I figure gate keeper will be 4-5 years old (or more) before all of this is possible, so a wing rider at KI wouldn't take away from the excitement Gatekeeper is going to generate over the next couple of years. Make it a pterodactyl themed wing rider, that could sweep into the building containing this dark ride as part of a key hole element and swoop back out.

I imagine the cost of all of that would be rather large and unlikely, but its my long term dream for the new area of KI (assuming the land is expanded and a new area is indeed added)

I'd love a boat ride through a dino exhibit. I was kind of hoping that's what we'd get from Dinosaurs Alive when I first saw the teaser for it. Before it was announced as a walk through, upcharge section. Expanding that area into a Dino-themed land would be pretty cool I think. There are endless possibilities for themed areas/rides/attractions. I'm totally on board with this.

• Like 2

I have a feeling that if there's any news to be had for 2014- there will be a large empty field giving all sorts of clues throughout the season. And just for the record I would take a well-themed, thought out dark or flat ride over a 300' monstrosity any day. Give me an experience that I cannot find anywhere else.

• Like 7

I'd love a boat ride through a dino exhibit. I was kind of hoping that's what we'd get from Dinosaurs Alive when I first saw the teaser for it. Before it was announced as a walk through, upcharge section. Expanding that area into a Dino-themed land would be pretty cool I think. There are endless possibilities for themed areas/rides/attractions. I'm totally on board with this.

that would be fantastic if the kids could still interact with them. I suspect it could be done the same way Disney's Haunted Mansion or Boo Blasters are done.

That fountain upgrade rumor is to occur at Canada`s Wonderland first, before being applied to Kings Dominion and Kings Island. That came right out of Matt Ouimet`s mouth in the video that Coasterbuzz made when he visited Clermont Steel Fabricators in Batavia a few weeks back.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

well , im partial to the Haunt so does this topic include that? or is that too soon? :) . if not nevermind ill come back to it. but I am very excited for this coming year to see the new show\shows coming and hope to see if the "empty field" will have any activity at all, I can dream i guess. anyway thats my input. by the way hello everyone :)

• Like 2