Updated google earth

CoasterRoller

I was on google earth today and noticed it was updated to our newest stuff (DA, new Soak City, blue Invertigo, wind seeker)

I was looking around and noticed back behind DA there's a bunch of stuff I never saw before (I may of just missed it) what are they? They look like cars to some ride but can't think of which one, I also see what looks to be Patrick and sponge bob :P

• Like 2

Google Maps still shows old maps

No it doesn't for me. I actually just checked and he is indeed correct about the Google Earth KI update. One thing that I noticed was that when I moved GE into street view around the park, There was a woman standing leaned on the closed fence where you get to SOB...... Maybe she was crying about the loss.....

• Like 1

^

But, the street view was taken, according to the Floral Clock, on August 12th, 2011 (I know it was 2011 because of Invertigo's color scheme and the fact WindSeeker is there)...the fate of SOB at that point was still almost one year away from being known...

Also, I just checked Google Maps (PC version) and it is still the outdated version for me at least- I'm getting Yellow & "Pink" Invertigo...my gosh, looking at it now, boy did it NEED that new paintjob...

Google Maps still shows old maps

No it doesn't for me. I actually just checked and he is indeed correct about the Google Earth KI update.

Google Maps and Google Earth are not the same thing. To clarify:

Google Maps, which is the online service that you view through your web browser at maps.google.com, still shows the imagery from July 1, 2010.

Google Earth, which is the downloadable program that you install on your hard drive, is the one that has been updated with imagery from August 29, 2012.

On a side note, I wish the pictures had been taken while the park was open. I like seeing all the tiny people in the park, looking for the trains on the roller coasters, etc.

• Like 3

I see a gap in the first drop. Is that what you're talking about?

I'm guessing it was caused by adjacent photos being taken at different angles (i.e. with the satellite in slightly different positions in orbit). There's also a less-noticeable gap in the drop into the splashdown.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Well, according to this, I just zoomed in on the Kings Island "Pile-O-Junk" and found the park, at least this season, still has the ORIGINAL Son of Beast trains...no, I'm not talking the newer trains added in 2007 (which, on Google Maps, are sitting next to the ride), I'm talking the overweight 6-bench Premier Rides trains that were "responsible" for the 2006 accident and ran on the coaster from 2000-2006...

Wow, 6 years after the accident, and the park still has at least 9 cars from those trains...3 of the 12 seem to be "missing" though...is the park using them for parts or something? If so, for what- none of the other wooden coasters currently in the park use Premier Trains, only PTCs, and even Son of Beast was using Gerstlauer trains at the end of its life, not the Premier trains...are the wheels/lapbars/etc etc. useable on Beast & Racer? Is there a secret plan to install the old SOB trains on Vortex or something? :wacko:

Just something I found weird...alas, there are many weird things you can find with google maps...

EDIT: Well fudge, the coordinates I linked to didn't take you to where the old SOB trains are...ok, well, go to SOB on Google Maps. Find the "Rose Bowl", or the huge first helix. At the bottom, there is a road that goes down. Follow it until it splits, and take the road that looks like dirt instead of pavement. The SOB "looping" trains are in the big pile of junk on this "road". Hope this helps.

Well, according to this, I just zoomed in on the Kings Island "Pile-O-Junk" and found the park, at least this season, still has the ORIGINAL Son of Beast trains...no, I'm not talking the newer trains added in 2007 (which, on Google Maps, are sitting next to the ride), I'm talking the overweight 6-bench Premier Rides trains that were "responsible" for the 2006 accident and ran on the coaster from 2000-2006...here's the coordinates for them:

39.341678,-84.259057

Wow, 6 years after the accident, and the park still has at least 9 cars from those trains...3 of the 12 seem to be "missing" though...is the park using them for parts or something? If so, for what- none of the other wooden coasters currently in the park use Premier Trains, only PTCs, and even Son of Beast was using Gerstlauer trains at the end of its life, not the Premier trains...are the wheels/lapbars/etc etc. useable on Beast & Racer? Is there a secret plan to install the old SOB trains on Vortex or something? :wacko:

Just something I found weird...alas, there are many weird things you can find with google maps...

Agreed. Also, whats the point of keeping 'ol Patrick? Does Cedar Fair have to return all the old Nick props back to Nickelodeon or does he have future potential?

Guest Department47

There's no harm in sitting an old coaster train out in a field, plus it may prove useful in the future. Reference King Cobra's trains - they sat dormant inside Flight of Fear's building for years before being shipped to Kings Dominion for use as spare parts on their Togo stand-up roller coaster.

• Like 1

Well, according to this, I just zoomed in on the Kings Island "Pile-O-Junk" and found the park, at least this season, still has the ORIGINAL Son of Beast trains...no, I'm not talking the newer trains added in 2007 (which, on Google Maps, are sitting next to the ride), I'm talking the overweight 6-bench Premier Rides trains that were "responsible" for the 2006 accident and ran on the coaster from 2000-2006...here's the coordinates for them:

39.341678,-84.259057

Agreed. Also, whats the point of keeping 'ol Patrick? Does Cedar Fair have to return all the old Nick props back to Nickelodeon or does he have future potential?

The same reason why people collect junk,

they are hoarders.

Meanwhile, one can find many past things in the "field", like a few BB things.

39.341678,-84.259057

The same reason why people collect junk,

they are hoarders.

Meanwhile, one can find many past things in the "field", like a few BB things.

So Hoarders is going to have a special episode of Kings Island? <_<