Windseekers To be Demolished?

DiamondBack27

Moderately priced, easy to duplicate, easy to market as a family ride and a thrill ride, and I would imagine that the cost of the second wave was somehow subsidized by the manufacturer after the problems from the first wave were "fixed."

• Like 1

I'm just confused about the lack off common sense regarding the purchase of multiple prototypes. It's been said here many times that prototypes do have issues. Yes, perfectly okay, but I'd say the incident which occurred in California is an issue. A big one. Now multiply that by the number of WindSeekers installed and you get....? A really "nice" investment. I can't say my knowledge on the topic is anything grand, but this seemed like a not-so-good idea from the get go. Am I missing something?

At least they're not catching fire like the Dino did...

• Like 1

I think it's easy to look back now and say it was a stupid idea, and a lot of us even had our reservations before construction started. But to be fair, it seemed like a fairly cut-and-dry ride that would have the normal first-of-its-kind glitches, but even out quickly. That obviously ended up not being the case. But almost no one foresaw the extent of issues that the WindSeeker rides could have. It was a questionable choice, but not an outright stupid one the way that it appears now. That's my thought, at least.

No matter how much I think about it, I just can't seem to see why Cedar Fair invested in so many WindSeekers. It doesn't seem to be anyone's "favorite" ride...it doesn't deliver much of a thrill (unless you have a fear of heights, and I many - not all - with an acute fear of heights don't climb on a 300' swing ride) and it's not a ride you go to the park knowing that you're going to get right in line for. I've rode it once, and it was enough for me to know that I didn't need to ride it again.

The only reason I'd hate to see it go is CF's money that was lost with it.

Just because it may not be "anyone's favorite ride" doesn't mean people don't like it. I would say the Eiffel Tower isn't anyone's favorite, but I do not think it was a waste or that they should take it down.

I know the bumper cars aren't my favorite, but if the park said they were getting rid of them there would be plenty of people upset.

• Like 6

I'm just confused about the lack off common sense regarding the purchase of multiple prototypes. It's been said here many times that prototypes do have issues. Yes, perfectly okay, but I'd say the incident which occurred in California is an issue. A big one. Now multiply that by the number of WindSeekers installed and you get....? A really "nice" investment. I can't say my knowledge on the topic is anything grand, but this seemed like a not-so-good idea from the get go. Am I missing something?

Hindsight is always 20/20.

Consider this: (from people that do this not only for a living, but have been doing it WORLDWIDE for many decades)

http://editorial.autos.msn.com/10-largest-auto-recalls-in-history

Just because it may not be "anyone's favorite ride" doesn't mean people don't like it. I would say the Eiffel Tower isn't anyone's favorite, but I do not think it was a waste or that they should take it down.

I know the bumper cars aren't my favorite, but if the park said they were getting rid of them there would be plenty of people upset.

If they got rid of my Dodgems I would fight somebody.

• Like 3

Loved the comment the eifel tower, the dodgem. Remember history the Eifel tower was going to replace a very famous ride the Lost River ( I do believe it was that ride to add to the park . When the flooding occured again then the sell to TAFT they moved the attraction (the pieces ) to be the center piece of the park.

Dodgems lets remove it the thrill seekers don't enjoy it.

Why is disney great it trys to cater to the imagineers, the thrilleneers, the joyful generationaleers, and so many more.

A great park is not just coasters, its the smell, the tastes, the sights, the games, the memories. I'm a rollercoaster lover, but love the other stuff too,

I don't see WindSeekers going anywhere unless a settlement would be made by the manufactures'.

Wow!

• Like 7

• 3 weeks later...

Even if THAT is fixed, the excessive evacuation time problem remains.

Not necessarily.

A software glitch may have prevented the system from going into a "manual" mode- a mode that will allow the gondola to be lowered using the motorized system as opposed to a hand crank.

• Like 2

Not necessarily.

A software glitch may have prevented the system from going into a "manual" mode- a mode that will allow the gondola to be lowered using the motorized system as opposed to a hand crank.

But any kind of manual mode should bypass any computer or automatic interaction, hence being "manual".

But any kind of manual mode should bypass any computer or automatic interaction, hence being "manual".

In a perfect World, that sounds great on paper.

A computer glitch could easily cause all servos to disengage and go into a STOP mode even after switching to MANUAL mode.

When it comes to safety, there is no "override" or "bypass" switch that would allow a device to be moved once a safety switch has been engaged in the ladder until it is individually reset.

Think of it like a railroad crossing signal & barriers. If something goes wrong, the signals come on & the barriers are moved to the engaged position. It will take: an electrician to go out to the crossing, figure out what the issue is, fix it, go into manual mode to disengage the barriers, reset the fault, and put the signals & barrier back into AUTO.

Whatever the glitch is (or if there is even a glitch- again- this is still just what I have heard) prevents the WS servos from being reset and then moved manually thus the hand crank comes into play.

It should be noted that CP's WS is also testing like KI's.

• Like 5

The problem with all the Wind Seekers is they are using cheap sprockets that were not made to the correct specs. If they had used sprockets from Spacely Sprockets, they would not have the problem. Spacely's best employee, George Jetson would had made sure it would had been made to the correct specifications.

You know they probably went with a cheaper Cogswell Cogs product in order to save a few bucks!

• Like 1

Probaly not true, but One of The Vortex ride oP's told me that WindSeeker will be demolished at all Cedar Fair parks. Becuase they will not work. But then again Ride op's can lie!

The workers can't say/show anything about what happens behind the scenes at the park unless the park itself told the gp about it first.

Not necessarily.

A hand crank. I knew 5 million sounded too cheap to be true!

• Like 1