The first 2012/2013 off-season thread!

KIfan73

All the rides at Kings Island will be going into hibernation in just a few short hours (didn't the park just open for the season yesterday?). At the same time-much like getting strapped into Flight of Fear-we will soon be launching into six months of speculations, conspiracy theories, rumors, bickering, supposed "in-the-know" information from "some important park official", as well as things mentioned by the Dippin' Dots guy. Although we all hate to see Kings Island close for the season, we can all be kept warm and merry by reading nearly-daily updates ranging from potholes being filled on Kings Island drive to sightings of semis carrying ride parts anywhere within a 300 mile radius of Mason, Ohio.

While we say farewell to Kings Island's 40th anniversary season, who's ready to discuss 2013 and beyond??

• Like 1

Last time the park did not add anything a coaster showed up the next year. Got one last picture of Son oaf Beast. Hope they post the rest of it unless they are saving the lift hill for something.

I would love to see them save the lift hill for something because it was for sure, something special to look at. Its not everyday that you can see such a large wooden structure like that of Son of Beasts.

Sadly as this comes every year, The Beast has settled down for a long winters nap and our beloved Kings Island has clanged the metal doors shut for the winter. But I am looking forward to another great season in 2013.

While Screamscape has us getting some new flat rides next year, or so is the rumor, I believe we will just see a new park expansion where our beloved Son once stood. I for one would be happy if they made a new area over that way and just opened up some space to expand back towards the old monorail trains and even over close to AE and FoF.

It is sad to know the Island is closed again. I wasn't able to make a final trip on closing day. However, I already have passes purchased for me, SammiGirl, and my 12-year-old son. So I will likely be there opening day!

As for what to expect in the off season? Hard to tell. Some general upkeep/improvements. Hard to say what the plans are for the land currently being cleared. Perhaps we'll have some word soon...

[EDIT] fixed a typo

It reminds me of a traveling carnival. One day, a parking lot is a wonderland of lights, sounds, laughter and music. Delighted, but blissfully ignorant of schedules, you return In 24 hours, only to witness a lone, discarded popcorn wrapper dancing on the cold, empty wind as it flutters and flips along the barren blacktop. It's kind of sad, really, but you know that it will all be back sooner than you think.

• Like 7

I am not from the Cincinnati area, but I made it once this past summer. To my dismay Diamondback was closed (first week of June) Does anyone know really what the issue was? I heard something in the line of concrete footers. Were they crumbling, or did they just not meet the park and/or construction guidelines?

I am sad to see SOB to go, but I am excited about what may be on the horizon. (Probably won't happen) I would love to see a Gravity Group woodie in that spot.

Besides a trip to KI, I also made a trip to Holiday World. I really enjoyed the park, the "overly" friendly staff ruined me, as a perception of how all park employees should act. Everyone was glad to see you and ready to help you in any way. I have been a "Beast" fan for ever (rode it in maybe year two of operation) I have a new favorite coaster called The Voyage. Really nice pacing and it never let up the entire ride. KIC friends, if you have never been to HW, make up your mind to do so in 2013. I am returning next year, plus a day two trip to Dollywood, to ride their wing-coaster.

Since a new ride doesn't seem to be in KI's 2013 future, I will be happy with improvements much like the park got at the beginning of this season. Recently, I noticed Beast Canyon was painted on the mine entrance by the exit ramp on The Beast. I also noticed some more themeing put on the carts by the stairs in FoF. Little things like that are awesome and I hope more improvements are coming our way for 2013.

• Like 2

Since a new ride doesn't seem to be in KI's 2013 future, I will be happy with improvements much like the park got at the beginning of this season. Recently, I noticed Beast Canyon was painted on the mine entrance by the exit ramp on The Beast. I also noticed some more themeing put on the carts by the stairs in FoF. Little things like that are awesome and I hope more improvements are coming our way for 2013.

Have any photos of these updates? They sound neat.

• Like 3

Good to see someone putting so much effort into their job, even so late in the year.

Does them putting the trains away so quickly have anything to do with the approaching storm, or is that standard operation.

They always start taking the trains/ride vehicles to matinance the day after the park closes. They have a lot of work ahead them to get to ready again for 2013.