Kings IsLAND

SonofBaconator

I was having my usual KI debate with a good friend of mine about Kings Island. He brought up the topic of the excessive land the park has and how much of it will be used in future years. I said that Kings Island didn't really need to do anything with that land because S.O.B was going bye bye but he still wasn't convinced. So i took it upon myself to go onto google maps and "estimate" how much land we actually have and how much of it will be used. Will all of this land be covered with rides and attractions in years to come or is my friend just not the brightest star in the sky?

KingsIslandAmusementPark6300KingsIslandDriveMasonOH-GoogleMaps-151401.png (Forgive me, it is not completely accurate)

I'd love to live in that subdivision. Do they get a good view of the rides?

Unfortunately you can't live in it until you're 55 years old.

During the winter you can see all the rides through the trees but during the summer you can't. You can also hear The Beast's roar in the woods. It's pretty cool.

• Like 2

I would think 20 years down the line a lot of that might be cleared. The park might just replace more rides then expand so much unless a lot of investment goes on. But for me the better expand the train or something because I would not want to walk so far back to get to some attractions. The setup the park has now is perfect and Unless something big comes I see no need to use that land in the near future.

If they expanded to the river I know my grandparents would be mad, as they live in the very back of the subdivision you see pictured to the right of the river. You can already hear the rides well enough.

I never understood why people complain about hearing rides at nearby amusement parks. Generally the theme park was there first (because they usually build in rural areas that later become developed.) So why would people buy a home near a theme park and get mad when you can hear it? I would understand if you lived there before it was built, but hardly that is the case.

• Like 7

If they expanded to the river I know my grandparents would be mad, as they live in the very back of the subdivision you see pictured to the right of the river. You can already hear the rides well enough.

I never understood why people complain about hearing rides at nearby amusement parks. Generally the theme park was there first (because they usually build in rural areas that later become developed.) So why would people buy a home near a theme park and get mad when you can hear it? I would understand if you lived there before it was built, but hardly that is the case.

That's what my mom always tells her parents. "Why complain - you picked this place to live!" and the funny thing is, they live in very back of the neighborhood. But, really, it's actually not that loud. Just some cranky elderly people don't like it. ;)

• Like 1

I lived in Kings Mills all my life, when the area was noting but corn fields and you can breath in and smell the "country air", well before I-71 was constructed. When Kings Island was built, we could tell the time when the fireworks were set off at 10PM. But from my my house on Oak Street, we could really hear the lions roar early in the morning when they wanted to be fed or the male lion was feeling frisky. But the loudest noise we heard on a nightly basis was the sound of all the traffic on the interstate and not the park. But we were used to it and just lived with it.

• Like 1

The same reason you can find instances of the residents of new subdivisions in at least 2 places in Indiana banding together and bringing forth lawsuits attempting to close race tracks that have been in operation for 50+ years. We now live in a world where people make uninformed choices and then expect everyone else to change, move or accommodate so that their ideal can be maintained, regardless of the cost (financial or otherwise) to everyone else. Just my cynical 2 cents!

• Like 7

The same reason you can find instances of the residents of new subdivisions in at least 2 places in Indiana banding together and bringing forth lawsuits attempting to close race tracks that have been in operation for 50+ years.

Come on man! The place came with a self-filling bathtub! You couldn't pass over a place like that!

As my dad always says "Life is tough, deal with it."

Infact, I believe Kings Island owned more properties in Mason than they do now, that is a estamate, one (as in I) may only speculate(d) on land ownage and other information.

From what I remember, they own somewhere along the lines of 360 acres with only 160 of it being "developable." I'm sure you could find that with the search option.

My friends parents live in a subdivision behind the park and they love the fireworks every night in the summer. To each their own.

• Like 1

From what I remember, they own somewhere along the lines of 360 acres with only 160 of it being "developable." I'm sure you could find that with the search option.

My friends parents live in a subdivision behind the park and they love the fireworks every night in the summer. To each their own.

My grandparents love living behind the park. They like watching the fireworks. Just not the noise of the roller coasters! I would get annoyed too :P

• Like 1

What is to make the land undevelopable? You can build over swamps, you can flatten land, dry up waterways, remove trees... Is the label of development based upon the cost required to develop the land or is there something I'm missing?

Did you account for the land in the sky? I heard there's ghost riders who ride up there, when I was on the train.

• Like 3

What is to make the land undevelopable? You can build over swamps, you can flatten land, dry up waterways, remove trees... Is the label of development based upon the cost required to develop the land or is there something I'm missing?

Regulatory permits for one. No net loss of wetlands for another. Height restrictions. Zoning. Neighborhood considerations. A corporate chain with other parks with more readily developable lands competing for scarce investment resources.

Did you account for the land in the sky? I heard there's ghost riders who ride up there, when I was on the train.

Oh, yes! And that poor guy, Joe, who got cotton in his eye. Man that has to be annoying!

• Like 2

• 4 weeks later...