Closing Day 2012

IndyGuy4KI

On a last minute whim last Saturday evening my dad said he was interested in going to KI on closing day. My wife had to work, and there was no way I was going to take a 2 and 7 year old to the park by myself. The weather said it was going to be 55 degrees and Sunny. Yeah Right!

We got to KI around 10 and spent the first 2 hrs in PS. The kids had a blast despite it being 45 and windy, with no sun..

Kaylee in a Pink on a Zen ride!

2012-10-28_11-04-40_344.jpg

Korbin

2012-10-28_11-49-05_59.jpg

2012-10-28_10-53-55_109.jpg

Korbin and Kaylee riding together!

2012-10-28_11-27-53_350.jpg

2012-10-28_11-19-33_589.jpg

After a few hours in PS we got some lunch and headed to AE and then The Racer. Kaylee wanted to go along so we do a swap in the line. (Adult waits till that train comes back and hands her off to the other adult when they got off and then that adult will ride.) Everyone gets to ride and that way there is not an adult stuck holding the stroller at every ride waiting at the exit.

I had several people ask if she was riding. Really people, yeah I am going to get this 33" child on The Racer that has a 48" height requirement. This method works out pretty good. I even had someone else in line tell me that was a good idea and they were going to do that later in the day when they caught back up with the rest of their family.

We got a ride in on Viking Fury and went to the KIC meetup under it for a picture. Here is a pic of the KIC members that were there and knew about the picture. It was nice seeing everyone and meeting a few new members.

2012-10-28_13-47-58_141.jpg

We parted ways at that point for everyone else was getting lunch and Korbin wanted to head towards The Beast. We got a ride in on The Racer and Vortex before hitting The Beast. Koribin wanted to hit Vortex before we headed out for the day. We needed to be heading back towards Indy around 3 PM.

Despite the less than desirable weather, we enjoyed closing day at KI. Looking forward to seeing everyone opening day 2013!

• Like 9

Nice trip report! I think they blew the forecast....

Always assume the weather will be significantly worse than is forecasted. Case in point: Yesterday was forecasted on Friday night to be in the upper 40s with no precipitation in the late afternoon. Decent weather for the rescheduled trick-or-treat, right? Actual weather: low 40s with steady rain mixed with a little bit of sleet the whole two hours.

See also: KIC Haunt Night.

I rest my case.

• Like 1

Thanks for sharing! It was nice to finally meet you, albeit briefly. I hope to see you again in 2013!

I think they blew the forecast....

The NWS forecast for closing day was spot-on. Granted, the very slight warm-up (to 51) in the mid-afternoon never happened, but otherwise it was very accurate with cloudy skies and temperatures hanging in the mid-40s. I normally trust the NWS forecast more than local news stations or Accuweather.

Considering that Columbus had rain all day, we really lucked out. It was really nice to drive away from all that!

Always assume the weather will be significantly worse than is forecasted.

See also: KIC Haunt Night.

Always good advice; the low was a full 9 degrees lower than forecast that night - and almost 2 hours early! Beast and Diamondback would have been much better had I dressed for the worse-than-expected weather, but we still had fun regardless.

For everyone who hasn't experienced Diamondback in the rain at 45 degrees with just a t-shirt and shorts, I wouldn't recommend it.

• Like 6