Vortex to be retired soon?

stashua123

I would like to know if parts for Arrow coasters are really as hard to come by as the rumors say they are. Many coasters like Iron Dragon, Corkscrew, and Gemini have been retiring certain trains so they can use them for parts. Coasters like Big Bad Wolf have been closed altogether.

I'd really like to know if these coasters are as hard to maintain as I hear.

Simply put; no and no.

• Like 3

It is also easier for them to maintain wooden coaster as the cost of custom making wood pieces is cheaper then fabricating and installing steel track. Plus no matter how much you "protect" steel, it will rust and degrade over time. That is why you still see some old woodies around.

Oh really? And you've seen the budgets? Did you get this information from "people you know?" The information you supplied about budgets to steel coaster maintenance is just plain wrong. Seriously, just stop.

I think you need to chill out and walk away from the computer for a while. I have no idea what you are trying to say, but I was just stating that simple logic would be that wood is cheaper to modify and repair than steel. And the "people I know" comment??????? As I stated in the previous comment, I take it as rumor. So should you.

• Like 2

Bascially I'm saying you're wrong about it being cheaper to maintain wood then steel. In the grand scheme of things(which is what matters) steel coasters are easier and cheaper to maintain than wood coasters. You come across as if you know what you're talking about but in reality, you don't.

• Like 5

Bascially I'm saying you're wrong about it being cheaper to maintain wood then steel. In the grand scheme of things(which is what matters) steel coasters are easier and cheaper to maintain than wood coasters. You come across as if you know what you're talking about but in reality, you don't.

Don't be a

summers-eve-douche.jpg

• Like 4

I would like to know if parts for Arrow coasters are really as hard to come by as the rumors say they are. Many coasters like Iron Dragon, Corkscrew, and Gemini have been retiring certain trains so they can use them for parts. Coasters like Big Bad Wolf have been closed altogether.

I'd really like to know if these coasters are as hard to maintain as I hear.

Iron Dragon ran all 3 trains this past season at CP. I think the reason why they don't run 3 trains per side on Gemini anymore is cause they don't need 3 trains as the ride isn't as popular as it was in the 70's and 80's and early 90's. Corkscrew usually rotates trains every year. They do they same thing on AE at KI, one of the trains goes thru rehab during the summer month's, so they only have to rehab one of the trains during the winter.

As with Vortex being the 4th most popular ride in the park, I don't see Vortex going anywhere anytime soon. Vortex also seemed to operate really well this year, and it was running really well during the Fall.

• Like 1

It is also easier for them to maintain wooden coaster as the cost of custom making wood pieces is cheaper then fabricating and installing steel track. Plus no matter how much you "protect" steel, it will rust and degrade over time. That is why you still see some old woodies around.

**I am editing this post for those who need more explanation***

It is cheaper to repair small sections at a time as in a wooden coaster than it is to replace steel sections of a steel coaster.

The wooden coaster requires wood that can be cut to size and replaced by the park maintenance staff with normal carpentry tools. A steel coaster, if a section of track or support goes bad that whole section has to be replaced, which would mean that the process of building a new piece of track and replacing it is far more costly than a wood coaster. For one, the part would have to be fabricated by an outside company which will cost $$$$ since track is not available due to Arrow no longer being in business. Yes, I know normal maintenance parts are available from S&S. Plus I will bet you S&S will not want to keep making parts, because this will require to have tooling setup to make these few parts for these old coasters. After so long; when the demand goes down, the cost of keeping the old tooling creates a monetary loss for the company. So since steel sections last longer than wood, by the time the track needs to be replaced, it would be an exorbitant amount of money to repair a 25 year old coaster.

Updated post

Brain, if wooden coasters are cheaper to maintain, why do steels far outnumber them?

:)

This sounds like a fun way to ask yourself a question.

You could do it for other parts too, like: Nose, why do you struggle to maintain an air passage when you have a cold?

• Like 2

It is cheaper to repair small sections at a time as in a wooden coaster than it is to replace steel sections of a steel coaster.

The wooden coaster requires wood that can be cut to size and replaced by the park maintenance staff with normal carpentry tools. A steel coaster, if a section of track or support goes bad that whole section has to be replaced, which would mean that the process of building a new piece of track and replacing it is far more costly than a wood coaster. For one, the part would have to be fabricated by an outside company which will cost $$$$ since track is not available due to Arrow no longer being in business. Yes, I know normal maintenance parts are available from S&S. Plus I will bet you S&S will not want to keep making parts, because this will require to have tooling setup to make these few parts for these old coasters. After so long; when the demand goes down, the cost of keeping the old tooling creates a monetary loss for the company. So since steel sections last longer than wood, by the time the track needs to be replaced, it would be an exorbitant amount of money to repair a 25 year old coaster.

Updated post

You can update your posts all you want, you still don't and won't know what you're talking about.

• Like 6

Updated post

You can update your posts all you want, you still don't and won't know what you're talking about.

Let me get some popcorn. This is getting good.

• Like 4

Updated post

And you know it all, Correct? No wonder membership has dwindled here. With douche bags like you jumping down people throats and acting like you are the know all, end all in roller coasters. I never said I knew anything for sure. This was my guess.

• Like 1

Updated post

And you know it all, Correct? No wonder membership has dwindled here. With douche bags like you jumping down people throats and acting like you are the know all, end all in roller coasters. I never said I knew anything for sure. This was my guess.

Or perhaps membership has "dwindled" because of supposed know-it-alls like you.

• Like 5

So when one of Diamondback's footings had to be replaced this past summer, the whole track and supports within the helix had to be replaced?

No track or supports were replaced.

I think the footers were, correct? I know they had to wait a week for them to dry.

@TTD-120-420

Nope, not new. I just try to stay away from sites that do this for a living.

Well, this has got me thinking...yes, Vortex is now going on 26 years old next season. And, it remains the 4th most ridden ride in the park, which is not bad at all considering its age. This ride does still have some "spunk" left in it...question is, though, how much? And if Kings Island gets a modern looping steel coaster, such as a B&M Floorless, will Vortex suddenly have a drop in popularity due to the new ride? The rumor seems to point to about a 5-year peroid, so this could be pointing to Vortex being removed by 2017 or so. And not to mention Flight Deck is getting up there in years too...and if WindSeeker's problems aren't fixed, it too could be dead within 5 more years. Add that Crypt and SOB just got demolished (well, as of this writing I don't know if SOB is 100% gone yet...) and you have a mass ride death on your hands...not good for a park's image. The park may try to extend the life of Vortex/Flight Deck (and I do think the park will try and save WindSeeker if at all possible) a bit to avoid this problem, but I'd see that happening for Vortex (more riders, easier to get parts) before Flight Deck...

My two cents on this. Thanks for reading, and carry on.

PS: Kings Island, if you do remove Vortex, keep the old tradition alive and build a new coaster in the old station, like you did for The Bat when Vortex was built. It would be nice. You can re-paint it again if need be, too, to match whatever new ride opens there...(the station was red for Bat, then turned blue for Vortex)...

• Like 1