Vortex to be retired soon?

stashua123

McSalsa I see where you are coming from, but lets look at it like this. Right now, the park only has one ride going down. In the last 20 years (going back to 92) has added, Flight Deck, Invertigo, Delirium, Drop Zone, The Crypt, Back Lot Stunt Coaster, WindSeeker, Firehawk, Flight of Fear, Son of Beast, and Diamondback (I didnt include some of the pay spots along with some of the other rides, just looking at major investments).

Rides that have closed are King Cobra, Son of Beast, The Crypt, Kenton's Keelboat Canals, Antique Cars, Skylab, Flight Commander, Flying Eagles (thanks Terp)

Now I understand what you are saying, but look at CP they took out 2 rides to put in 1. With all things there is a season, turn turn turn.....

What is here today will be gone tomorrow. SOB was taken down for future expansion. Hopefully this happens and nothing bad befalls our park. Vortext may be taken down in 5 years, but hopefully there is a plan that when this is removed a new ride/area rises in its place. And we can tell our kids about a ride that was great Looping roller coaster... sort of like the previous generation can speak of The Bat, the sky ride, the demon.....

EDITed for INFO

Arrow coasters do have companies that make parts for them- S&S Power bought Arrow and does still support several models. Vekoma and Chance-Morgan also seem like companies that would, if asked, be able to work on Arrow Coasters (CM already did with Phantom's Revenge)...

Looking at that list, look at how many 1960s Mine Trains are still going strong...looks like Adventure Express isn't going anywhere anytime soon. Some of the older looping coasters, like the Corkscrews and Loch Ness Monster (which is 130ft. tall and goes 60mph, somewhat comparable to Vortex) also appear to be doing quite well. It seems the suspended coasters- ala Flight Deck- are the ones in the most danger.

Another thought- perhaps Vortex still has 5-10+ years left on it, but the park is already thinking "what do we do when it does run out and needs removed?" and that could be where the rumor comes from...parks are known to think well in advance sometimes.

VortexBFForever will not be happy about this topic...

I KNEW you'd say that! :P

I hope this is just a rumor, in my opinion, and I really hope Vortex continues to operate for at least a few years to come. It is actually a big dream of mine to work on Vortex when I'm old enough (16) and right now I'm 13, so it wouldn't be until 2015 that I would first be able to apply for and possibly achieve that dream.

As one of Vortex's big big big fans, I would be CRYING if we lost Vortex.

• Like 3

VortexBFForever will not be happy about this topic...

I KNEW you'd say that! :P

I hope this is just a rumor, in my opinion, and I really hope Vortex continues to operate for at least a few years to come. It is actually a big dream of mine to work on Vortex when I'm old enough (16) and right now I'm 13, so it wouldn't be until 2015 that I would first be able to apply for and possibly achieve that dream.

As one of Vortex's big big big fans, I would be CRYING if we lost Vortex.

Unless there's an incident you should be able to run Vortex in the near future.
  • Like 2

I can believe it! The last couple of times and i cant ride it anymore with getting a headache,

Is that because of the ride or you? I dont mean to be rude, but as we all get older and some of us get bigger, cough, rides dont fit like they should. When they dont fit like they should/did the ride experience suffers...

My take on these flame wars is this: Lots of users think themselves as expert on everything regarding roller coasters as to their constructions, ride specs, upkeep, technical data, ride experiences, and so forth all because they like to ride them over and over again. They go to the manufacturers web site and gain all the knowledge they can. But the average person only cares about how the ride feels and can care less who makes it and how it is constructed, like me. But when someone comes here and tries to explain why they feel that a wooden coaster is cheaper to maintain vs a steel coaster, all based on their opinion, they get flamed. These users decide this web site is not for them due to how its long time members treat them and don't come back. These "roller coaster" experts gain their knowledge base on their non-stop rides on the coasters that they enjoy and visiting the web sites of companies that construct the rides and not on them being engineers that design the rides and their construction. Users like me and the ones being flamed only care about how the ride feels and ask a question on how they feel what cost more to maintain like in this question on is it cheaper to cut wood on wooden coasters or fabricate new steel and supports on steel coasters, We should try to encourage users to voice their opinions and not flame them if these experts here decide they are wrong and flame them. Otherwise, users like these will come and decide that this site is not for them and quit. Just be thankful that this is not a pay site and if it was, it would be loosing revenue and would not be open for long, as sites that I have been a member of. We need to be more civil with each other and this is my opinion.

• Like 5

Where was the question asked as to which is cheaper to maintain? Questions are one thing. Opinions are another. Unlabeled speculation masquerading as fact? No one should be surprised or offended when it gets corrected. Certain expert authors here may at times lack tact, but they are of the opinion it gets old when know very littles try to claim more knowledge than they have.

Leaving such unsubstantiated, untrue statements unchallenged in the name of politeness only contributes to the spreading of "facts" that aren't.

This is a discussion forum, not a high tea at the country club.

Terpy, who prefers to ask questions

• Like 7

I just hope Vortex is around long enough for my 3-year-old daughter to ride it. Every time we went to KI this summer she asked if she was tall enough to ride the "loopty-loop" yet. She really wants to ride it! She just hit 40 inches early in the season, so I don't expect her to hit the 48 inch mark until at least the 2014 season, and that's wishful thinking. I want her to be able to experience one of my favorite rides. :-)

• Like 4

I would like to know if parts for Arrow coasters are really as hard to come by as the rumors say they are. Many coasters like Iron Dragon, Corkscrew, and Gemini have been retiring certain trains so they can use them for parts. Coasters like Big Bad Wolf have been closed altogether.

I'd really like to know if these coasters are as hard to maintain as I hear.

Iron Dragon ran all 3 trains this past season at CP. I think the reason why they don't run 3 trains per side on Gemini anymore is cause they don't need 3 trains as the ride isn't as popular as it was in the 70's and 80's and early 90's. Corkscrew usually rotates trains every year.

Gemini and Corkscrew stopped running three trains because of gates and seatbelts. The station time increased and caused stacking issues.

• Like 2

Is it just deja vu or has a flame war happened with Az once before?

Anyways, this is probably another Dippin Dots guy's stories from the inner workings of his mind.

• Like 1

Guest Department47

Gemini and Corkscrew stopped running three trains because of gates and seatbelts. The station time increased and caused stacking issues.

Same deal with Adventure Express - it dropped from three to two trains a couple years ago.

Anyways, this is probably another Dippin Dots guy's stories from the inner workings of his mind.

No, it's not. He knows much more about the park and the working of the rides than some Boomerang Bay fanboy.

• Like 5

Same deal with Adventure Express - it dropped from three to two trains a couple years ago.

some Boomerang Bay fanboy.

Well, I am no "fanboy", not even a boy at all. Although he probably know much more things of the park than some department complex on KIC.

• Like 1

I didn't think the argument was which was cheaper to maintain (on average I would assume a steel coaster is much cheaper to maintain on a yearly basis) but rather, once track needs to be redone on a steel coaster, which is cheaper to maintain. I would suspect the retracking of a steel coaster would be significantly higher than a wood coaster, however I have no idea how often (if ever) that needs to be done, nor what it involves.

At any rate, I certainly hope Vortex has many seasons left, seemed fine to me the 1 time I rode it last season. My son is pretty tall for his age, may well reach 48" prior to his 5th birthday next summer, and so far there isn't a ride at KI that he hasn't loved. The Racer, Adventure Express, The Beast all seem like naturals once he hits 48", however I've worried that I should wait little longer to put him on Vortex due to the head banging I've always experienced b/w the overhead restraints. May have to throw caution to the wind if next season proves to be its last.

• Like 1