Vortex to be retired soon?

stashua123

On a per year basis, wood coasters cost more to maintain.

If/ when steel coaster track needs to be replaced, the cost is enormous. Rust is the worst "disease" a steel coaster can encounter & does not just stay in one area, but spreads like wildfire & cannot be easily replaced as in the case of a wood coaster rotting board.

KC was removed for a handful of reasons, the poor steel used being one of them.

• Like 3

I didn't think the argument was which was cheaper to maintain (on average I would assume a steel coaster is much cheaper to maintain on a yearly basis) but rather, once track needs to be redone on a steel coaster, which is cheaper to maintain. I would suspect the retracking of a steel coaster would be significantly higher than a wood coaster, however I have no idea how often (if ever) that needs to be done, nor what it involves.

Watch out, this what I was trying to point out but was blasted and told I didn't know anything by the know all end all AZ Kinda Guy!

• Like 1

The day Vortex leaves is the day I stop buying season passes.

And no, I'm not joking. Vortex and Beast are just about the only rides at KI that I can still enjoy every single time I ride them. The others have all gotten to the point where they frequently bore me. I love Vortex so much that it is one of the central reasons I visit the park as often as I do.

• Like 3

Terp, when SOB was running, I would say SOB was. THESE days, I wouldn't say it has one.

That brings up an interesting question, was SoB ever operating enough (or reliable enough) to be considered a "flagship" ride?

You bring up a good point. I'd say from 2001 thru about 2005 it ran enough to be conisdered the "flagship" ride. After the accident in 06 it was all downhill from there. Pun intended ;)

• Like 3

Okay in Coney Mall if the flagship is Racer Paint Job lead or not, make it so to preserve for future it needs to be completed. My opinion the flagship may once have been racer but you have Flight of Fear, Firehawk, stunt track, and yes Vortex, plus some big twirling tower Defunct for now??? Vortex hands down today is the flagship. Coney mall is home to so many coasters.

• Like 1

Just for the record: Son of Beast also had said "awe" factor to an incredible degree, possibly even when it was not running. It was one of the most visually impressive roller coasters ever built, with its incredible 218-foot-tall wooden structure and the huge "dip" before the first drop...of course, looking good from off-ride and actually being good are two different things...

• Like 8

^ The "awe" factor is two things: seeing the ride

& being intimidated by it. The second: you have experienced the ride with a smile.

SoB certainly had that "awe" factor to look at and an "ouch" factor to experience.

To clarify: the riding "awe" should exceed the visual "awe".

• Like 1

^

Yep, I actually almost put that in the first post...not 100% sure why I didn't, but oh well. And sadly, SOB was not the only coaster with great pre-ride "awe" factor and post-ride "ouch" factor...Rattler @ SFFT, Mean Streak @ CP, Original Texas Giant @ SFOT...all very good-looking rides with poor reputations when it comes to roughness. There are also steel coasters, such as Roller Coaster @ NYNY Hotel Las Vegas, that fall into this category.

And I may have a ride with all 3 "factors" (looks fun, is fun, and is also painful): Voyage @ Holiday World, at least when I rode it in 2010 & 2011 (didn't make it out to HW for 2012 sadly). It was very visually impressive, and a very fun ride, but also pretty darn rough. I think what I said when it hit the brakes after my first ride in 2010 sums it up:

"Ow...but WOW..." ^_^

Okay in Coney Mall if the flagship is Racer Paint Job lead or not, make it so to preserve for future it needs to be completed. My opinion the flagship may once have been racer but you have Flight of Fear, Firehawk, stunt track, and yes Vortex, plus some big twirling tower Defunct for now??? Vortex hands down today is the flagship. Coney mall is home to so many coasters.

While it may be jumbled, I get what you are saying, but isnt Flight of Fear and Firehawk in X-base? Different than Coney Mall. Plus Racer runs the length of Coney Mall. Vortext is sort of like the bridge between River Town and Coney Mall.

And to be serious for just a moment. Can we try to have a conversation on here without the flaming. You both are to blame and frankly I dont care who is more right/more wrong. You both come off as big @$$ #####... I edited it myself so deal with it :)

• Like 1

While it may be jumbled, I get what you are saying, but isnt Flight of Fear and Firehawk in X-base? Different than Coney Mall.

X-Base is technically part of Coney Mall, not its own area.

While it may be jumbled, I get what you are saying, but isnt Flight of Fear and Firehawk in X-base? Different than Coney Mall.

X-Base is technically part of Coney Mall, not its own area.

for now!

IMO, a "flagship" ride needs to have that "awe factor" to non riders. I can't even begin to tell you how many times I've went to the park with non coaster riders and they have stopped to watch Vortex for several minutes.

Vortex definitely has the visual nostalgia! On my first KI trip in 2007 (three years before I became an enthusiast) I was so awed by Vortex that I watched it for at least 10 minutes non-stop. In fact, on every single KI trip of mine, I take about 5-10 minutes (at LEAST!) just to watch and take pictures of Vortex. It's always a part of my trip "schedule" and it always will be. <3

• Like 2

I agree about the look of Vortex. I don't care to ride it much anymore because it's too tight of a fit for me but I still love looking at it, especially in pictures.

Edit: To remove comments about the "flame war" and to let sleeping dogs lie.

• Like 1

"Check yourself, before you wreck yourself."

Honestly, all the bickering ended almost a whole page ago, but some people keep bringing it up. If you quit talking about it it would be gone by now.

Back on topic... I think a nice Mega Lite would fit nicely in Vortex's area.

Something like these:

6dj0005rlpj4qekb0agequ.jpg

Picture+5.png