Vortex to be retired soon?

stashua123

Maybe it shakes and rattles too much while the train rolls?

While my oldest nephew and I were waiting to unload after riding The Beast, we were watching Vortex. It was a great teaching moment about why roller coasters sway.

Ahhh science! I'm waiting for the day when he says "I don't want to learn about this!" when I start spouting off strange and fun science info. I fear that is coming sooner rather than later.

• Like 2

Not to be outdone by the phrase "Because I said so"

Thanks to all who looked up the number of rides Vortex had given. 40+ million is awesome and if I'm remembering correctly, there haven't been downtime issues much to be spoken of.

• Like 2

• 6 years later...
On 11/6/2012 at 12:21 AM, stashua123 said:

http://www.screamscape.com/html/industry_news.htm#CedarFair

I just hope this is just a rumor :o but its screams cape. I am not liking the direction Cedar Fair is taking if this turns out to be true.

BUMP! And here we are, ft. the wonderful MultiQuote feature, in January 2021. Let's see how this topic aged! And yes, it was just a rumor at that time. Thankfully.

On 11/6/2012 at 7:42 AM, Browntggrr said:

Yes, it will be retired soon.

Vortex is still sinking......

Soon is a subjective term... :P

On 11/6/2012 at 8:20 AM, Jr for Birdy said:

The Vortex is not sinking and will live for another 10 years

Vortex lived for 7 more years. Close enough :lol:

On 11/6/2012 at 5:32 PM, PKIVortex said:

I just hope when the day comes that Vortex does get retired, they give it's fans a chance to say goodbye. But I hope this isn't going to be for quite a few more years.

We Vortex fans thankfully got that chance, with a month's notice.

On 11/6/2012 at 9:13 PM, McSalsa said:

perhaps Vortex still has 5-10+ years left on it, but the park is already thinking "what do we do when it does run out and needs removed?" and that could be where the rumor comes from...parks are known to think well in advance sometimes.

:)

On 11/6/2012 at 9:18 PM, VortexBFForever said:

I KNEW you'd say that! :P

I hope this is just a rumor, in my opinion, and I really hope Vortex continues to operate for at least a few years to come. It is actually a big dream of mine to work on Vortex when I'm old enough (16) and right now I'm 13, so it wouldn't be until 2015 that I would first be able to apply for and possibly achieve that dream.

As one of Vortex's big big big fans, I would be CRYING if we lost Vortex.

Hey look, my own take on it! Yes, Vortex operated for at least a few years to come; yes, I worked on Vortex (for three years, 2017-2019!); and yes, I was crying when we lost Vortex, albeit in varying degrees since the emotions hit in different amounts at different times rather than all at once. In addition, I got my wish of working on Vortex's final crew.

On 11/7/2012 at 8:20 PM, Diamondback27 said:

I would hate for Vortex to leave even though we all no it's not going to within the next 10-20 yrs.

I wish. :(Now if you had said this between 1999 and 2009...but still, 7 more years was still rather good.

On 11/8/2012 at 12:20 PM, homestar92 said:

The day Vortex leaves is the day I stop buying season passes.

I love Vortex so much that it is one of the central reasons I visit the park as often as I do.

How did this play out? I'm genuinely curious.

On 1/16/2013 at 8:38 AM, Guest KingsIslandPR said:

The Vortex is one of the most popular rides in the park. There are no plans to retire the ride in the foreseeable future.

Yay, 7 more seasons! Definitely longer than the "foreseeable future," as subjective as that is, so this was spot on.

On 10/2/2014 at 1:28 PM, TombRaiderFTW said:

Enjoy the rides you've got while you've got them.

I live by this statement. I often like to say something along the lines of "don't worry about the future, because it'll undermine your enjoyment in the present" and that was definitely my motto with Vortex. I made sure I enjoyed it in the present rather than be tempted to worry about its future.

On 10/2/2014 at 3:04 PM, The Interpreter said:

Only until the end of their service life. Then, it becomes more economical to replace most steel coasters than to attempt continued maintenance.

And to add, in the end we must remember that KI is a business...

On 10/2/2014 at 3:08 AM, SOBwasaSOB said:

Vortex may be my favorite ride. It is certainly the most picturesque at KI (of what I have seen i would say anywhere). I will be so very depressed if it is retired.

Me too. And I was. A lot of us were and likely still are since barely more than a year has currently transpired. A lot of hearts ache over Vortex's 2019 departure for sure.

On 10/2/2014 at 8:42 PM, CoasterKrazy said:

Vortex will be replaced at some point, but not because of poor design. Either the ride will come to the end of its design life, or its marketable life. In the end, it comes down to money, and the point at which it no longer makes sense for the park to maintain the ride.

You're on to something...

On 10/3/2014 at 3:40 AM, McSalsa said:

Vortex will probably reach its 30th anniversary in 2017. 35th is possible. 40th is a large stretch. But I'm 90% sure Vortex won't be able to hit 50, sadly.

The Bat will probably outlive Vortex, but I'd guess it would too be gone not too long after.

[Adventure Express] will probably be the last Arrow in the park when all is said and done...I could actually see this ride still running in the year 2040 or later, so long as its popularity doesn't drop off or the park decides it's in the way of some huge new coaster or something.

Vortex indeed reached its 30th anniversary. I hoped it would reach 35. But alas, it settled right in the middle, at 33 seasons.

The Bat's 29th season is this year (2021). Its 33rd season will be in 2025. We shall see how things swing.

Let's hope the 11th Commandment continues to hold up for numerous more seasons! And let's not forget our four-decades-old Flume; it's technically an Arrow too. :)

• Like 7