KI 2012 rider counts (RIP Thunder Alley?)

malem

Kings Island tweeted today that the ride record book has been updated for 2012. Interestingly, Thunder Alley was removed from the page, perhaps confirming its demise. The updated page is at http://www.visitking...ide-record-book

Also interesting are the total ride count differences from before and after the update, which are presumably the 2012 totals. To save everyone the trouble of finding a cached version of the page and doing arithmetic, I made a quick sorted list of the differences. I'm pretty sure that this is acceptable to post, given that this is from data on the official website and that many of these numbers have been announced:

Diamondback: 1,812,311

Racer: 1,372,948

The Beast: 1,130,830

Vortex: 1,120,052

Kings Island & Miami Valley Railroad: 1,046,644

Adventure Express: 981,359

Boo Blasters on Boo Hill: 926,346

Flight of Fear: 790,019

Flight Deck: 764,423

Backlot Stunt Coaster: 721,448

Viking Fury: 662,547

White Water Canyon: 646,922

Woodstock Express: 632,159

Invertigo: 615,576

Firehawk: 610,749

Dodgem: 569,706

WindSeeker: 517,736

Race for Your Life Charlie Brown: 510,352

Delirium: 508,957

Flying Ace Aerial Chase: 498,444

Drop Tower: 496,574

Congo Falls: 473,207

Eiffel Tower: 422,297

Scrambler: 391,584

Zephyr: 381,316

Surf Dog: 371,150

Shake, Rattle & Roll: 363,122

Monster: 362,985

Snoopy's Splash Dance: 356,578

Linus' Launcher: 312,104

Grand Carousel: 296,346

The Great Pumpkin Coaster: 292,910

Character Carousel: 274,556

Woodstock Whirlybirds: 269,803

Kite Eating Tree: 234,470

Joe Cool's Dodgem School: 212,080

Sally's Sea Plane: 196,339

Snoopy's Junction: 172,467

Charlie Brown's Wind Up: 161,270

PEANUTS 500: 148,639

Linus Beetle Bugs: 142,509

Snoopy vs. Red Baron: 118,830

PEANUTS Off-Road Rally: 90,934

Xtreme Skyflyer: 38,571

Slingshot: 35,991

Total: 23,056,160

Newer attractions like WindSeeker and Diamondback presumably keep track of occupied seats, but I've always wondered how totals are kept without turnstiles for older rides. Does anyone who knows more about this than I care to enlighten me?

• Like 3

If we say the average ticket cost for Xtreme Skyflyer and Sling Shot was $13 then this is how much each ride made:

Xtreme Skyflyer: $506,883

Sling Shot: $467,883

Not that anyone cares. I have wondered for a while how much these upcharge rides pull in. Obviously these numbers are based on the assumed average ticket cost of $13.

Guest Department47

Newer attractions like WindSeeker and Diamondback presumably keep track of occupied seats, but I've always wondered how totals are kept without turnstiles for older rides. Does anyone who knows more about this than I care to enlighten me?

Most rides have a counter built into the control panel, where an operator counts the number of riders per a cycle and it'll calculate the sum. In case a ride doesn't have such a feature, then standard mechanical counters come into play.

Did Thunder Alley ever have a ride count in the record book?

As the headline says on the page linked in the first post, "Yep, we really count every ride". Thunder Alley included.

• Like 3

Did Thunder Alley ever have a ride count in the record book?

As the headline says on the page linked in the first post, "Yep, we really count every ride". Thunder Alley included.

Thanks.

//While using a mobile device, Kings Island is nice enough to force you to the mobile home index page, whether you want to or not.

KI coasters have buttons that the driver presses each time a empty seat passes by. If the driver doesn't push the button the computer thinks the train has no empty seats and counts it as a "full train"

So to answer your question "Ffej" rerides do not effect the count they simply add to it. Compared to Cedar Points system where the rides have turnstiles that count the number of riders and therefore wouldn't count if you rerode.

• Like 3

Im having a hard time believing Flight Deck had more riders than BLSC,i dont care what the numbers say.

Rumor has it that the kids who run the Flight Deck purposely fudged the numbers in order to "get even" with the kids who run the Back Lot Stunt Coaster. Glad someone else noticed the conspiracy.

• Like 9

Thunder Alley is not listed within the link you provided, nor is it in the thrill rides section.

Thunder Alley was still listed on the "Family Rides" section of the site when I posted this topic last night, but it's now removed from that page as well.

Interesting numbers...here's some stuff I've thought of:

#1-Diamondback could have had a record year this season for itself, had it not broken down for a week...

#2-Vortex was within striking distance of Beast. If Vortex is "unpopular" enough to be removed, than so is Beast! :o (I wonder what Big Bad Wolf's 2008, it's last full season, ridership total was...)

#3-I can see Flight Deck beating BLSC. BLSC is a capacity nightmare with its pewny trains, and Flight Deck is actually good with capacity, thanks in part to its 7-car trains and short ride time.

#4-Viking Fury whoops all other "traditional" flat rides, including the giant ones like Delirium, WindSeeker and Drop Tower! :P (Granted, all 3 of those had serious downtime in 2012, but still...)

Well, that is all from me. ^_^