Your 2013 Winterfest idea(s)

BB1

Coming after a brief discussion of Winterfest, I began to think, what would KIC's Winterfest be?

My own would be like so:

Kings Island:

International Street:

• With the E-Tower lit up as it was years before, as a Christmas tree, it is the center of the street
  • Themed to be a mix of Christmas across the world, German, English, Mexican, and other festive feels
  • Carolers meandering the crowds singing songs of classic Christmas
  • The 80's store is now "Santa's Toy Shop" with Christmas ornaments, hats, shirts, jackets, toys, and other fine apperal and other KI materials
  • The International Street Candy Store is now "Ye Olde Candy Shop" with an english Christmas theme, reminising of "A Christmas Carol" and other classic Christmas books
  • The Kings Island sign is now "Kings Island's Winterfest"
  • At the E-Tower, Christmas presents are scattered around, with names of Kings Island employees, and possibly KIC members
  • The Stage now holds Christmas trees all around
  • The Fountain will be a Ice Skating Rink
  • Tower Gardens is a Christmas Light walkthrough
  • In the Kings Island theater, Santa in his workshop is there for a photo op

Planet Snoopy

• Themed to be the Christmas specials
  • A Snoopy meet and greet at the shop, with Christmas items for all children
  • Christmas trees are scattered across the area
  • All of the rides in Planet Snoopy are open
  • All of the rides have some sort of Christmas theme or idea to them
  • Hot Cocoa, and "Christmas Dinners" now served at the food stands
  • "A Peanuts Christmas" at the theater of PS
  • Peanuts decorations for Christmas posted

Soak City:

• Themed to be a Beach Christmas
  • Playing Christmas music sung around the West, Polynesia, South America's and Carribean (Beach Boys, Feliz Navidad!, etc)
  • Christmas trees with clams, shells, starfish, sand dollars, and other ornaments scattered accross the waterpark
  • Santa in more tropical clothing at "Seaside Supplies"
  • Lights all across the area
  • Tropical Wreaths around the waterpark

River Town:

• Themed to be a Western Christmas
  • Train is themed to be what it was the last Winterfest
  • Lights, and Christmas trees all across the area
  • Western like Christmas songs played throughout the area
  • River Town Junction has a "Christmas Buffet" filled with Christmas classics like Cranberries, Ham, and other foods
  • In The Beast turn around, a Christmas light show is now located, viewing at the line and station

Coney Mall:

• Themed to be a "Christmas carnival"
  • With rides like the Monster, Scrambler, and other operational rides
  • Christmas trees and lights scattered accross the area
  • Hot Cocoa, and regular season specialties sold at the Jukebox Diner and other food stands
  • Plays classic Christmas songs
  • Now called "Christmas Mall"
  • Carolers meander the Mall
  • Both or Vortex's loops are now wreaths

OktoberFest:

• Themed to be a German Christmas
  • German music played
  • Christmas trees scattered accross the area
  • Festhaus now serves foods served in Winterfest's past
  • A North Pole themed musical plays in the Festhaus
  • Christmas garland, lights and trees scattered inside Festhaus
  • Mexican restaurant closed, Beirgarten is open

Action Zone:

• Themed to be more of an Ski-Snowboarding teen Christmas
  • TSO, and rock Christmas songs played
  • The Water Tower is now a Christmas tree
  • Can be operated rides will be in operation
  • Gift shop holds Winterfest and KI items
  • At the walkway to SOBRIP, and FD "Silent Night instrumental" is played, with candles near the SOBRIP.
  • Garland, lights, and other decor is set out

• Like 3

Guest Department47
  • The Emporium is now "Ye Olde Candy Shop" with an english Christmas theme, reminising of "A Christmas Carol" and other classic Christmas books

Why convert one store into a candy shop when there is already a candy store functioning perfectly across the street?

Many rides are inoperable below a certain temperature, especially roller coasters. And who in their right mind would want to ride Race For Your Life, Charlie Brown in the winter?

Soak City:

Even with the train as transport, the water park is a hike from the rest of the park. Add the freezing temperatures, and there is absolutely nothing appealing about walking all the way there.

So a major disappointment and a waste of time?

Beyond these complaints, the use of the whole park in unrealistic... miscellaneous minor construction projects are underway, many rides need rebuilt, and staffing enough employees is unrealistic. Besides, it's highly unlikely you could harness enough guests to make an event even a fraction of this size profitable.

• The Emporium is now "Ye Olde Candy Shop" with an english Christmas theme, reminising of "A Christmas Carol" and other classic Christmas books

Why convert one store into a candy shop when there is already a candy store functioning perfectly across the street?

Many rides are inoperable below a certain temperature, especially roller coasters. And who in their right mind would want to ride Race For Your Life, Charlie Brown in the winter?

Soak City:

Even with the train as transport, the water park is a hike from the rest of the park. Add the freezing temperatures, and there is absolutely nothing appealing about walking all the way there.

So a major disappointment and a waste of time?

Beyond these complaints, the use of the whole park in unrealistic... miscellaneous minor construction projects are underway, many rides need rebuilt, and staffing enough employees is unrealistic. Besides, it's highly unlikely you could harness enough guests to make an event even a fraction of this size profitable.

A- Why not? the other side is mainly for fudge.

B- I was thinking of the flats, and mini coasters, I did infact forget the log flume

C- What if one were to be parked there?

D- I meant a few years before when it had certain themes, personally it wasnt that bad

This is just a question, pessimistic or optimistic?

Note: These are just ideas, not what the park should do.

• Like 2

International street

• Ice Skating on the royal fountain
  • Same light fixture from previous years
  • I like your idea of the presents but instead of employees, make them for rides
  • Carolers
  • Santa comes and meets all the children
  • Bandstand is the main place for Carolers as well as Christmas related shows
  • Eiffel Tower gets its usual light fixture
  • Christmas trees scattered all around the entrance
  • Invertigo’s lift hills have different colored lights on them so guests can see walking in

Action Zone

• Just has a lot of lights

Oktoberfest

• AE is running with the robot tiki guys wearing santa hats
  • Festhaus is open with new Christmas shows and the returns of scrooge in the window insulting the passing guests

Coney Mall

• Scattred Christmas trees every where
  • Lots of lights along The Racer
  • FOF open
  • Action Theatre featuring The Polar Express 4D
  • All small flat rides are open
  • arcade is open and decked out in Christmas stuff

Rivertown

• Kings Island & Miami Valley Railroad new christmas decorations with more lights and lots of inflatables. Also the stations are decorated and the train stops off at "Christmas Island"
  • plays country Chirstmas music DB's slash down area is a santa's slegh landing zone
  • WWC's trail is a winter wonderland where there are a lot of lights, inflatables, fake buildings and much more

Planet Snoopy

• A large version of "A charlie brown Christmas" where the peanuts characters walk around dressed like they were in the show
  • Boo Blasters in open but is decorated with christmas things and all the robots where santa hats.
  • Lots of Christmas inflatables occupy most of the area with lots of lights
  • Peanjuts Christmas mucis is playing

Picnic Grove

• Like a branch of the North pole
  • Live Reindeer (like at the zoo)
  • Hot Chocolate Stands
  • Live music

Soak City

• Set up like the North Pole
  • Similar to the beach water park's Christmas set up
  • Certain slide are open where guests and slide down on sleighs
  • One of the wave pools is an ice rink
  • Christmas Island station is the depot where the locomotives drop off the ancious children
  • Santa's workshop is there where you can meet santa and Mrs. Clause when they aren't walking around KI
  • We re-hire the half-pint brawlers to work as elves :D

• Like 1

Coming after a brief discussion of Winterfest, I began to think, what would KIC's Winterfest be?

My own would be like so:

Kings Island:

International Street:

• With the E-Tower lit up as it was years before, as a Christmas tree, it is the center of the street
  • Themed to be a mix of Christmas across the world, German, English, Mexican, and other festive feels
  • Carolers meandering the crowds singing songs of classic Christmas
  • The 80's store is now "Santa's Toy Shop" with Christmas ornaments, hats, shirts, jackets, toys, and other fine apperal and other KI materials
  • The Kings Island sign is now "Kings Island's Winterfest"
  • At the E-Tower, Christmas presents are scattered around, with names of Kings Island employees, and possibly KIC members
  • The Stage now holds Christmas trees all around
  • The Fountain will be a Ice Skating Rink
  • Tower Gardens is a Christmas Light walkthrough
  • In the Kings Island theater, Santa in his workshop is there for a photo op

Planet Snoopy

• Themed to be the Christmas specials
  • A Snoopy meet and greet at the shop, with Christmas items for all children
  • Christmas trees are scattered across the area
  • All of the rides have some sort of Christmas theme or idea to them
  • Hot Cocoa, and "Christmas Dinners" now served at the food stands
  • "A Peanuts Christmas" at the theater of PS
  • Peanuts decorations for Christmas posted

Soak City:

• Playing Christmas music sung around the West, Polynesia, South America's and Carribean (Beach Boys, Feliz Navidad!, etc)
  • Christmas trees with clams, shells, starfish, sand dollars, and other ornaments scattered accross the waterpark

River Town:

• Themed to be a Western Christmas
  • Lights, and Christmas trees all across the area
  • Western like Christmas songs played throughout the area
  • River Town Junction has a "Christmas Buffet" filled with Christmas classics like Cranberries, Ham, and other foods
  • In The Beast turn around, a Christmas light show is now located, viewing at the line and station

Coney Mall:

• Themed to be a "Christmas carnival"
  • With rides like the Monster, Scrambler, and other operational rides
  • Christmas trees and lights scattered accross the area
  • Hot Cocoa, and regular season specialties sold at the Jukebox Diner and other food stands
  • Plays classic Christmas songs
  • Now called "Christmas Mall"
  • Carolers meander the Mall
  • Both or Vortex's loops are now wreaths

OktoberFest:

• Themed to be a German Christmas
  • German music played
  • Christmas trees scattered accross the area
  • Festhaus now serves foods served in Winterfest's past
  • A North Pole themed musical plays in the Festhaus
  • Christmas garland, lights and trees scattered inside Festhaus
  • Mexican restaurant closed, Beirgarten is open

Action Zone:

• Themed to be more of an Ski-Snowboarding teen Christmas
  • TSO, and rock Christmas songs played
  • The Water Tower is now a Christmas tree
  • Can be operated rides will be in operation
  • Gift shop holds Winterfest and KI items
  • At the walkway to SOBRIP, and FD "Silent Night instrumental" is played, with candles near the SOBRIP.
  • Garland, lights, and other decor is set out

that would be freaking amazing :)

• Like 2

Guest Department47

Because Emporium is built to sell merchandise, not food. It'd be a large undertaking to convert it into a functioning candy shop, one with all the required cookware (sinks, fridges, etc.). The Fudge and Candy Shop already has this stuff and is fully capable of making more than just fudge. Last I checked, they serve caramel apples, chocolate-covered sweets, and more. All overpriced, but still not just fudge.

Then they'd have a long hike to the real park... no matter how you try to defend it, using Soak City is a bad idea.

Oktoberfest

• AE is running with the robot tiki guys wearing santa hats

Roller coasters, Adventure Express included, have minimum temperatures that they're capable of running in. It's highly unlikely and extremely implausible that Adventure Express - or almost any roller coaster at Kings Island - could successfully operate in December.

I'm not saying Winterfest was a bad event or that there's a zero-percent chance it'd be able to return and make a profit, but the majority of the ideas posted here are extremely unrealistic and don't take most realities into consideration.

• Like 1

Because Emporium is built to sell merchandise, not food. It'd be a large undertaking to convert it into a functioning candy shop, one with all the required cookware (sinks, fridges, etc.). The Fudge and Candy Shop already has this stuff and is fully capable of making more than just fudge. Last I checked, they serve caramel apples, chocolate-covered sweets, and more. All overpriced, but still not just fudge.

Then they'd have a long hike to the real park... no matter how you try to defend it, using Soak City is a bad idea.

1. I some how forgot about the names of the I-street locations, I meant the "International Street Candy Store

2. Howl a pooloza (There is a reason to the Pooloza wording)

• Like 1

All of the ideas are good. The admission price is gonna dictate a lot. How much can you do - making it affordable for people and still enticing? A lot of places do a Winterfest kinda thing and it works. Meetings with the higher-ups of those places would be a good thing to do. Also, you can start out small and grow each year.

• Like 1

Good imagination, but they've tried it before, and it wasn't successful.

I might be in the minority here, but I wouldn't go to Kings Island to walk around and see "Festival of LIghts - KI version."

Last winter, my ex-girlfriend and I went to the Festival of Lights. We circled the zoo three or four times within 90 minutes, when on a summer visit to the Zoo it might take 2 to 3 hours just for one trip around.

Plus, this is Cincinnati. It would be too cold (at least for me) to drive 45 minutes to KI just to see Santa, some lights, and a possible ride on FoF.

It can be done, The Beach and The Zoo have done it successfully many times before. It just hasn't worked before at KI, and probably would be too costly to try again.

Guest Department47

A long hike huh?

Alright, let's ignore the long hike statement for a moment. Even if the train was used as transport, it'd lead to a large concrete area with zero functioning attractions and very little opportunity to theme or do anything. It'd be better off to just utilize a pre-existing area in the main park, such as parts of Planet Snoopy.

1. I some how forgot about the names of the I-street locations, I meant the "International Street Candy Store

International Street Fudge and Candy Shop already has candy, plus it has fudge. There'd be absolutely no reason to convert another store - and spend a lot of money doing so - to sell what's already present across the street.

Poo jokes? And you were the one who got annoyed when I called you a fanboy before?

• Like 1

Soak City:

The park already had a hard time decorating the water park for the re-branded Howl-O-Fest. What makes you think they'd pull off a lavish Christmas setup out there?

The first go round wasn't canceled because of non-success, it was was dropped largely because the new owner wanted to focus on their core operating season. A lot of things were mis-judged second time around from a cost perspective, BUT they were planning to do it again. I thought the 2005 version was great.

Someones plan to use 100% of the park.... not remotely feasible. No matter how successful it is/was, you would never have enough to pack out the park.

Same thing happened to the 2006 Winterfest as 1993... new owner didn't want to mess with it. Good news is that a new leadership team is at the corporate helm. Does this mean the festival could come back? That's anyone's guess.

Reindeer! Eiffel Tower Light Tree! Light Tunnel! Retheme urgent scare into a north pole visit! Add a holiday nativity scene, shows, and music, ice skating, decorations, have One gigantic real tree with pink ornaments that can be purchased and named with all dollars earned going towards cancer awareness. Wow.....Winterfest!

• Like 1

A long hike huh?

Alright, let's ignore the long hike statement for a moment. Even if the train was used as transport, it'd lead to a large concrete area with zero functioning attractions and very little opportunity to theme or do anything. It'd be better off to just utilize a pre-existing area in the main park, such as parts of Planet Snoopy.

Poo jokes? And you were the one who got annoyed when I called you a fanboy before?

No....pool joke, I wasnt annoyed, just a clarification, of not being a "Fanboy", "Fan" or "boy".