Hades 360

Honestly, about the GCI wood shuttle concept, I 100% agree- that would be too low capacity for a park like KI, but would fit in a smaller park. In fact, even a normal GCI would probably not work well here as they usually run only 2 trains- meaning we are talking a ride that is super short like Flight Deck, which some would not like for a new wooden coaster here- or really long lines. Then again, SFMM did build one and it even only has 2 11-car trains...anyone been there and seen how the line for Apocalypse is compared to SFMM's other coasters? :huh:

Thinking about it, perhaps this is why the "Re-Build Aeroplane Coaster" concept was dumped in favor of SOB...Aeroplane only had 2 10-car trains...not exactly great capacity, but then again, SOB never had the capacity it was supposed to have, either...

Guest Department47

Now, if KI would erect a new wood coaster that has inversions, would the everyday guest be able to distinguish between the new ride and the former SoB?

There will always be ignorant, uninformed people, no matter the subject or situation. That shouldn't prevent a vaguely similar ride being built in the same location as a failed one.

STeel is about $280 per ton and it cost about 2.50 for a 2x4 at home depot. Does anyone want to do the math?

You're ignoring factors like maintenance and upkeep. Initial cost for a wooden roller coaster may be less than a steel, but the overall cost down the road isn't necessarily as low.

In fact, even a normal GCI would probably not work well here as they usually run only 2 trains- meaning we are talking a ride that is super short like Flight Deck, which some would not like for a new wooden coaster here- or really long lines

Counting Racer as two separate roller coasters, then only three Kings Island roller coasters run with three trains - Vortex, The Beast, and Diamondback. A two-train GCI would not be at all out-of-place.

• Like 1

There will always be ignorant, uninformed people, no matter the subject or situation. That shouldn't prevent a vaguely similar ride being built in the same location as a failed one.

Take off the enthusiast eyeglasses and treat the park for what it is- a business. The last thing any park needs is to spend millions on a ride that will have untrue rumors being told about it on day # 1. Perhaps in 10 years, but I don't see the park waiting that long to use an area that is prime for future development.

Could KI make an investment like this? Sure. If KK ever re-opened, they could install a drop ride too.

Would either happen?

Don't hold your breath.

STeel is about $280 per ton and it cost about 2.50 for a 2x4 at home depot. Does anyone want to do the math?

I'm sure an amusement park could get a nice discount if they used their Home Depot card.

Take off the enthusiast eyeglasses and treat the park for what it is- a business. The last thing any park needs is to spend millions on a ride that will have untrue rumors being told about it on day # 1. Perhaps in 10 years, but I don't see the park waiting that long to use an area that is prime for future development.

Could KI make an investment like this? Sure. If KK ever re-opened, they could install a drop ride too.

Would either happen?

Don't hold your breath.

Sorry, my glasses were getting fogged up by all the hot air you're blowing.

• Like 2

Guest Department47

Would either happen?

Don't hold your breath.

I don't wear enthusiast eyeglasses, nor the accompanying Cedar Point glasses strap. But thanks.

And there are ignorant rumors no matter what the ride - water dummies falling off WindSeeker being one of the most recent. Sure, some people will fall for them. But that's a very small percentage of potential park visitors; the majority will realize that the new ride is a new ride, based off promotional material, word-of-mouth, and common sense.

• Like 1

One of the Fun Facts on the Kings Island site is: "To build The Beast you'd need 650,000 feet of pine and 37,500 pounds of nails."

If you are saying a foot of wood costs $2.50:

650,000 x 2.5 = $1,625,000.

If each nail is steel:

37500 pounds = 18.75 tons of nails = $5250

To add to Terpy's point- Beast cost about $4,000,000. In 1979. I used an internet calculator, and that comes up to $13,808,795 in today's dollars. So, if you have $14,000,000 and the right terrain (or, pay extra to modify a LOT of terrain), and have at least 35 acres of land, you too can build The Beast! :P (Disclaimer: You might want to hire a professional wood coaster builder like The Gravity Group or GCII anyway, otherwise, you will probably mess up your version of Beast and it will be unsafe!)

• Like 1

I don't wear enthusiast eyeglasses, nor the accompanying Cedar Point glasses strap. But thanks.

And there are ignorant rumors no matter what the ride - water dummies falling off WindSeeker being one of the most recent. Sure, some people will fall for them. But that's a very small percentage of potential park visitors; the majority will realize that the new ride is a new ride, based off promotional material, word-of-mouth, and common sense.

added for emphasis

Is that anything like the majority knowing a 25-year old ride is not sinking?

Enthusiasts, like us, know these rumors to be humorous. We make up the minority. The majority do not know these things. Breeze through KI's FB page for more examples of what humorous rumors are constantly being discussed by the majority- more than enough to fill a hot air ballon. :)

• Like 1