Your SoB memories

Sonofbeast2.0

My first ride on Son of Beast was Friday July 7, 2006 of all days. Two days before the accident. I had only been to Holiday World before, so Kings Island was a better big step. I remember on the ride from Indy my dad, my dad's friend, my brother and I were talking about how then Paramount's Kings Island had been bought out by the people who own Cedar Point. ( At the time I had no idea what Cedar Fair was) My dad said they were going to change the name to Cedar Point South. I thought to myself , "wow thats lame." I'm glad he was wrong. Well when we got to Kings Island I was in shock! :wub: Nothing compares, it stands(ed) alone. Good-bye Son of Beast. I won't forget about you! :')

• Like 1

On a early summer weekday, my brother and I rode it at night, three times in a row. With no one in line or board our train, we asked the ride ops if we could just stay on for another lap. He stated that they wanted us to unload and go all the way back through the que line, so we could get a small break in between riding.

So basically they were telling us that it is too rough to let my brother and I not to get a small rest in between laps on SOB.

Btw, they let me do the exact same thing on Beast one year (without physically getting off the ride)

• Like 2

On a early summer weekday, my brother and I rode it at night, three times in a row. With no one in line or board our train, we asked the ride ops if we could just stay on for another lap. He stated that they wanted us to unload and go all the way back through the que line, so we could get a small break in between riding.

So basically they were telling us that it is too rough to let my brother and I not to get a small rest in between laps on SOB.

Btw, they let me do the exact same thing on Beast one year (without physically getting off the ride)

Was this before or after 2006?

• 3 weeks later...

I remember my first ride on Son of Beast. I remember being so nervous in line (as SoB was my first looping coaster) and then loving the drop out of the station. I also remember the loop not being as bad as I thought it would be. After that first ride, it quickly became one of my favorites. I also remember coming off one ride in slight pain due to the roughness of the rose bowl. When the loop was removed, I remember riding and feeling a slight letdown when the train cruised over the straight piece that was the former loop section. And for some reason, I really loved the twisty part between the second helix and the break run.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Here are memories that stand out for me regarding SoB:

- Being a media ambassador for the announcement, and with the big shaking crate, just built up my anticipation for the ride.

- Taking pictures of the area as they were pouring the footings.

- Being a media ambassador for the opening of SoB and riding it for the first time during the media event. I loved the drop out of the station, and the first big drop after the lift was unforgettably great. And then came the rose bowl, which was unforgettable in a completely different way. I had never before (or since) experienced such turbulence on a coaster as I did on that section. And then came the wonderful loop... a great experience to have on a woodie. I rode it a few more times that day and ended up sore, with bruises on my thighs. We got to go behind the coaster, and I kick myself to this day for not bringing my camera along to get that famous picture of the Eiffel Tower framed in the loop for myself.

- A few years later, during an employee rides night, my friends and I marathoned SoB in the back car, without getting off. We had some great night rides on it that night.

- My first ride without the loop and with the new trains, it just seemed odd. They had taken out one of the greatest parts of the ride (which I understand the reasons for) and it just wasn't the same. It went from something that I would possibly ride on each visit to something that I didn't really care if I rode or not.

I had good rides on it and I had bad rides on it, but with it's history and final incarnation I'm really indifferent to it being gone. It wasn't my favorite coaster... far from it... but at least it didn't have me saying that I would never ride it again (which, for the record, Mean Streak is the only coaster that I ever said that about).

Looking back in my records, out of my 16 visits to the park in 2008, I only rode it once. I then rode it once more, for the final time, in 2009.

• Like 6

When did you say you would never ride Mean Streak, Gator? Have you tried it the past 2 seasons?

SOB Memories: I remember visiting the park and seeing them starting to build it. If I remember right, they were building the lift hill and rose bowl at the same time, and were 2 separate structures. It was amazing to think they would be able to match them up and make everything fit. I really don't remember my first ride for I was not an enthusiast at that point, but the first drop is still my favorite first drop on any wood coaster.

The loop was awesome as a structure, but personally just seemed out of place on the ride. Location was fine, but maybe could not get over a loop on a woody, I always liked the theme of the original trains.The G trains were never a favorite of mine. Although, I did like not having to get my feet under those feet restrains that were in the original trains.I was like Gator, I would ride it if others wanted to ride it, but never made a point to ride it each visit. I still loved that first drop though, and that was the one element that drew me to the ride.

I will miss SOB for it's first drop, but understand the parks decision and am looking forward to what they are planning for the land in the future.

• Like 3

The first couple times I rode it were my favorite. Just seeing the red and yellow trains menacingly roll into the station and getting in and clanking down those huge premier lap bars. That spill they played in the station also still puts chills down me every time I hear it. If anyone has that spiel would you please post it by the way. You would then roll slowly out of the station and hit the lift hill and the clank of the chain was deafening, then what seemed like an eternity later you would crest the hill and begin that dive all the way down. One thing I will never forget however is the first time I ever rode SoB. I was riding and my uncle and aunt were in front of me and as we hit the mid course brakes my uncle turned to me and said, "Here comes the loop." As soon as he said that the supports parted and in front of me all I saw was a huge wooden structure and sitting there right in front of me was that HUGE loop. The rest was history. I would like to thank you Son of Beast for all the memories and you will be missed.

• Like 5

I must say, I did have one really awesome day on SOB. It was in 2007. (I absolutely hated the ride before the new trains.) Anyway, my cousin and I went to King's Island together just for the heck of it. I never get to see him so the whole trip was nice. But for some reason, SOB was running amazingly! It felt SO much faster than before, and it was absolutely wonderful.

• Like 2

When did you say you would never ride Mean Streak, Gator? Have you tried it the past 2 seasons?

I said "Nevermore" somewhere around 2000-2001. I broke that vow in 2004 when I went with someone who had not been to CP since the '60s. I told him about my vow, but he convinced me to ride with him. We both got off with headaches, and I quickly reinstated the vow.

I remember reading people's Facebook posts from opening day 2011, and how they said it was much better. As the year went on, people said it had gotten a little rougher then it was opening day, but still not as bad as it was before.

Nevertheless, I have stuck with my vow and haven't ridden it since that day in 2004. You know that old saying, "Fool me once..." I'm fine without it, since there are plenty of other rides at CP to occupy my time.

• Like 3

Welcome GardenBabe to KICentral, I like to give new members a welcome photo. Mostly my welcome photos are taken at KI, but since you like gardening, I thought you may like this one better:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/original2/8039287199/'>8039287199_2b8e5bfa36_z.jpg
http://www.flickr.com/photos/original2/8039287199/'>Pictures2 742 by http://www.flickr.com/people/original2/'>KIC-Original, on Flickr

Welcome to the KIC Crew!

• Like 1

In a way I'm a bit glad SoB was never reopened...

I say this because I gotten older since 2008 (last time I rode it) and I could of had bad experience(s) on the ride in 2010-2012. I got taller broad shouldered and what not more between then and now and lord knows if the ride reopened I might hate it now.

So all in all I'm glad I my last ride was on a high note but I do wish I could of rode it one more time before being torn down.

I actually had a dream that they reopened it and they were testing it with some new themed cars. You could ride in trains that looked like monster truck, taxi, and a police car (I think their was others but can't remember).

• Like 3

• 3 years later...

I rode the SoB at least a few times, but that was probably shortly after it opened so it sucks that I can't remember much at all about the actual ride experience. I just remember the super long lines and I remember thinking that I still liked The Beast better.

• Like 1

The singer Pink rode on the same train as my wife and I in 2000. My wife's nephew was with us and I asked him who was the pink haired girl getting the VIP treatment. She had an entire entourage with her and she was sucking on a pink pacifier. He said it was a new singer named Pink and she was opening for New Kids on the Block(...or one of those boy bands) at Riverbend. Great ride with the loop.

Rode it a couple times with and without the loop. Last time was in 2009. that was the first year we had season passes. It was the one and only time my son was able to ride it. He loved it, I was sore for 3 days.

The singer Pink rode on the same train as my wife and I in 2000. My wife's nephew was with us and I asked him who was the pink haired girl getting the VIP treatment. She had an entire entourage with her and she was sucking on a pink pacifier. He said it was a new singer named Pink and she was opening for New Kids on the Block(...or one of those boy bands) at Riverbend. Great ride with the loop.

Rode it a couple times with and without the loop. Last time was in 2009. that was the first year we had season passes. It was the one and only time my son was able to ride it. He loved it, I was sore for 3 days.

That's wild. I used to work with a black woman who said they were at the park and saw Pink who was getting the special treatment on The Beast I think it was. I wonder if my co-worker was there the same day as you?

I rode Son of Beast quite a few times. I remember the first time I rode it. I loved it. It totally messed with my head when we went through the loop. I remember trying to get re-rides when the station was empty and being told I had to walk around the line again. I remember enjoying the ride with different friends. I recall when I went to the Halloween Haunt and rode post loop with my ex-wife.  Never had a bad ride experience. I also remember going with an ex-girlfriend and her 3 daughters. The smallest one was big enough to ride, but I found out after we rode that it was her first major coaster. I would've picked something smaller to start her out on.

• Like 3

I don't have any memories because SoB jackhammered them into oblivion.

I think I had one strangely pain free ride one time, and honestly the ride still wasn't good. The lift was beyond deafening, no airtime on the first drop, and I only rode because my friend drove the ride.

SOB, you're still a d!ck after death.

• Like 1

I have good memories with it, and I really miss it. I used to only get to visit KI on days that Kahn's had a picnic there (her workplace), she would bring me along as her ride buddy. I convinced her to go on Son of Beast with me. It was my first 'looping' coaster.

The last time I remember riding it, I was visiting with my bf. I forgot to tie my hair up before the ride started and it got in the way of the poor girls behind us. D: I heard one of them going "her hair..!" as it was whipping out behind me lol XD

also, I can't remember if it was The Beast or junior, but I just remembered a time when I was littler, coming off the ride with blood running down my leg, the ride had ripped the scab right off of a spot on my leg :o

I Remember when I first saw it I was like how the hell did they build that thing so freaking huge. And then thought to myself this is going to be a nightmare for the park to mantain. But I did get to ride it a few times before it's demise. And I didn't think it was any more rougher and any wooden coaster. The thing that scared me was the speed. I swore the thing was going to just tear itself off the track. Still ranks in my top three coasters I have ever rode. 1. MF at CF, 2 Voyage at HW 3. SOB KI 4. Imtimader 305 KD 5. DB KI

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

• Like 1