Kings Islands wasted land

savesonofbeastfb

Bumping...

No offense to the KI & MV Railroad, it's cool, but not really what it could be. It's not technically wasted land, but there's a good number of people who only use the train to get to Soak City.

I believe if that if the Old Western theming was spruced up a little bit, the whole experience could be so much better.

I hate how they always leave the gate open too! My 4 year old was confused calling the town fake the first time she rode.Little things like that bother me,keep the dang gate closed! :D

That bugs me to. If the gate is closed it just looks smoother. However without the animatronics, it is sort of a boring ride view. Not much to look at.

I think Kings Island should expand Planet Snoopy to where the Picnic grove is, then move Picnic grove more forwards the front gates, possibly near Action Zone and KI theater.

I would disagree. While I do hate how far back the Picnic Grove is, it is sort of nice to be so far away from the noise of the park and enjoy and sit back there. Wasnt there a ride on the way back to the Picnic Grove or close to it where people could either be in a tank or shoot at the tank?

I hate how they always leave the gate open too! My 4 year old was confused calling the town fake the first time she rode.Little things like that bother me,keep the dang gate closed! :D

That bugs me to. If the gate is closed it just looks smoother. However without the animatronics, it is sort of a boring ride view. Not much to look at.

I'm confused...what is the gate?

Indeed there was. It's been gone for years, now.

Do you happen to know what it was called and please enlighten the rest of us :)

maue7d.jpg

Not my photo, linked from google, which I think linked from this website.... so its sort of like a giant loop....

We always called it that tank ball shooting thingy. Perhaps someone here remembers the real name.

Indeed there was. It's been gone for years, now.

Do you happen to know what it was called and please enlighten the rest of us :)

maue7d.jpg

Not my photo, linked from google, which I think linked from this website.... so its sort of like a giant loop....

I know what you mean by gate being open. Go to 6:19 on this video. I couldn't find a picture for it ,but unlike your past experience this gate is shut.

SOB's land is what I was thinking was a big waste of land before the announcement of it's removal.

Touching back on the DA area, as much as the enthusiast in me would love to see the land DA is on used for a coaster, my 2 year old totally disagrees with you and me. When going to KI that is all she wants to do, and all she talks about going over there. There was over a month gap from the first time she went thought DA till her next visit, and she brought it up getting into the car before leaving Indy. I was so surprised that she remembered it at all. I ended up waking through there with her on that visit while my wife took my son on Vortex. Well worth the money to have daddy/daughter time. When I take my solo and enthusiast trips I am not going to spend the money going through DA. When we go as a family I know DA is something that the rest of the family is going to enjoy doing and don't mind spending the extra money. There is where Tepy's point in case is confirmed.

• Like 5

I'm not a huge fan of DA, but its great when they have the hall-o-ween walk thru w/ candy for the kids, and its seemingly makes a nice profit for the park, so its hard to complain.

I loved the idea of doing something to spruce up the train ride. anyone know why there is a platform somewhere after you pass Diamondback? Do they shot the fireworks off from there? did it have a prior use? Seems like a dead spot that leaves a lot of questions.

With that said, the biggest waste of space is the Tower Gardens. So much potential, so much neglect. Get the fountains working back there, turn it into a "history of Kings Island" w/ minature mock ups of the park at various times (at its opening, when The Beast opened, the monorail, when King cobra was there, when SOB was there, when Diamonback was build and "today") for example. Create a little gift shop that sells "classic KI gear"; I've got to imagine there are a few people that would by a screamin' deamon or King Cobra shirt.

• Like 1

Firstly, Hello all :-)

While I agree the Tower Gardens and the KI&MVRR could use a make over, the real waste of land is what has never been developed at all. As I understand this, and I am NO authority, the park owns substantial amounts of land. Land that could easily double the size of the park? Why not run a BIG coaster through the undeveloped land? Other than the obvious cost involved, of course. The largest amusement park in the midwest, could have the 2 longest coasters in the world, maybe?

• Like 1

anyone know why there is a platform somewhere after you pass Diamondback? Do they shot the fireworks off from there? did it have a prior use? Seems like a dead spot that leaves a lot of questions.

^The platform you are wondering about was once used as a train stop for kids to go to the "Pumpkin Patch" which was in the fenced-in area.

I believe that is also the platform used for unloading the train for Tombstone Terror-tory during Haunt.

• Like 1

While I agree the Tower Gardens and the KI&MVRR could use a make over, the real waste of land is what has never been developed at all. As I understand this, and I am NO authority, the park owns substantial amounts of land. Land that could easily double the size of the park? Why not run a BIG coaster through the undeveloped land? Other than the obvious cost involved, of course. The largest amusement park in the midwest, could have the 2 longest coasters in the world, maybe?

Hello NoChickens, I think you answered your own question! I believe the park is heading in a new direction also,away from the big coaster world.

The two longest coasters in the world are Steel Dragon 2000 and Ultimate. Neither is at Kings Island. Beast is third.

Over half of Kings Island's existing acreage is developed. The next major project at Kings Island may well be a surprising diversion, but it isn't likely to be the longest coaster in the world, much less two of them! It's probable it will be large, spectacular and not too aggressive. A diversion...,

• Like 1

Hello, NoChickens! So I try to give new members "a welcome photo". I know this isn't my most impressive photo, but I thought it would be appropriate. ;)

http://www.flickr.com/photos/original2/7934071978/'>7934071978_8f2dbf0280_z.jpg

• Like 1

I have come to the realization that there is a BIG difference between 'What I think they should do' and 'What makes sense from a business standpoint'. Just because we all want the picnic grove closer to the entrance, as an example, doesn't mean they should do it.

All about the moneys.

And return rate on the investments made... I guess.

... And I'm stepping off the soap box now...

• Like 7

^ Yes. That post deserves more than two "like" votes.

While the park certainly values its enthusiasts, we're not the market FUN needs to understand. Designing things for your biggest fans generally isn't a way to grow your business. (i.e. Most people here already visit the park and are very likely to continue doing so.) That said, it's quite certain that "we'll" be pleased along the way - thrills connect, after all.

Enthusiasts should also want investments that grow revenue, since capital expenditures are roughly tied to a percentage.

I do wonder how much amusement (or frustration) management gets out of "suggestions" that get posted in threads like this. (Which almost certainly aren't the right use of resources even if we were the target audience.)

• Like 2