A Piece of Winterfest History: Live on Stage

XGatorHead 8904

This weekend and next, The Children's Theatre of Cincinnati is showing Santa's Toy Factory at the Taft Theater.

After reading the description of the show on their website (http://www.thechildrenstheatre.com/onstage/) and especially after reading the synopsis on page 2 of their study guide (http://www.thechildrenstheatre.com/pdfs/2013_santa_sg.pdf), I thought it sounded very similar to the Santa's Toy Factory show that KI did back in the days of Winterfest. I emailed their public relations person and asked if it was. She was kind enough to respond very quickly and confirmed my suspicions: it is the same show, which "has been adapted and expanded" with a few additional scenes. After reading her response, that's all I needed to know that I would definitely be going!

This show is one of my favorites that Kings Island ever staged. From the opening number with Santa's elves rushing around to "Racing With the Clock" and "Hard Knock Life", Santa's reindeer singing "Up on the Roof", the homesick alien singing "I'll Be Home for Christmas" and the penguins singing "The Twelve Days of Christmas" with a Cincinnati twist, this show still stands as one of my favorite Christmas shows ever (right along with Dollywood's Babes in Toyland, 'Twas the Night Before Christmas, and Christmas in the Smokies).

Show times are:

Friday 12/7 at 7:30 PM
Saturday 12/8 at 2 PM and 5 PM
Sunday 12/9 at 2 PM
Saturday 12/15 at 2 PM and 5 PM

Tickets are $20, $18 and $7 (plus additional fees if purchased through Ticketmaster).

There are a few videos of the KI productions on YouTube. There's one with parts of the 1991 production:

There's also one of the 2006 production (which I couldn't get to play on my work computer, but you may have better luck. Individual results may vary):

GatorGirl and I are going tonight (although she doesn't know it yet). I'm so glad that I get the chance to share one of my fondest Winterfest memories with my daughter.

• Like 5

A couple clarifications. Winterfest was restaged in 2005, not 2006 as that YouTube video states.

I actually saw the play today at work as part of our Adopt A Class program. I immediately recognized it as being nearly identical to the Winterfest show that I saw in 2005. Great to see a tremendous show living on. I would definitely recommend that you go and see the show. Top notch production.

Well, it was a good show, but I think I might have liked it a little better if I wasn't familiar with the Kings Island version. Don't get me wrong, it was very well done. But a lot of the stuff that I really liked about the show was missing from this production. I was waiting during the opening scene for GatorGirl's eyes to light up when they started singing "Hard Knock Life". And then they didn't. When it was time for the reindeer scene, I leaned over to GatorGirl and said "I like this part". But instead of the giant blacklight puppets that KI had, they had people in reindeer outfits singing "Up on the Roof", and she asked me "Why do you like this part?", so I had to explain to her what KI had. There were not 12 penguins singing "The Twelve Days of Christmas" with a Cincinnati twist. There were 3 penguins who sang "This Christmas" (which happens to be one of my least favorite Christmas songs). There was also no homesick alien singing "I'll Be Home for Christmas".

With that said, some positives are that the main character, Wendell, was played by local 2012 American Idol contestant Eban Franckewitz, who GatorGirl is very familiar with. Also, the new parts of Heat Miser and Snow Miser were played by Bob Herzog and John Gumm, respectively, both from Channel 12 news.

Overall, I do recommend the show, as it is still very good. It's a fun story, good songs and the kids enjoyed it. I'm just a cranky old guy who remembers the old version a little too well.

• Like 4

Also don't forget that many relics of Winterfest can be found this type of year at EnterTrainment Junction.

www.entertrainmentjunction.com

This has been bugging me ever since I saw it but there is, what looks to be, an old entertainment prop from KI that faces the highway. It's the old paramount symbol minus the mountain, so just the stars. Has anyone else seen this and if so, is it from KI?

• Like 1

Also don't forget that many relics of Winterfest can be found this type of year at EnterTrainment Junction.

www.entertrainmentjunction.com

This has been bugging me ever since I saw it but there is, what looks to be, an old entertainment prop from KI that faces the highway. It's the old paramount symbol minus the mountain, so just the stars. Has anyone else seen this and if so, is it from KI?

Yes, that was used as the tree topper (Eiffel Tower) during winterfest, in 2005.

New management of CF, return of WinterFest 2013? Not being racist but if they are worried about time in between Haunt and WinterFest they should hire some Japanese or Chinese workers. They get stuff done!

i shouldn't touch that comment with a 1000 foot pole.

Shouldn't matter what the nationality of the employee is- if someone else signs your paycheck you should work just as hard for them as anyone should. If you throw $10/hour to a chinese, japanese, hispanic, etc... person and they outpace the caucasian.... then that says something about the work ethic.

I don't think your comment is offensive to Chinese, Japanese, etc... but it "should" be offensive enough to cause the lazy person to want to change the perception.

• Like 4

New management of CF, return of WinterFest 2013? Not being racist but if they are worried about time in between Haunt and WinterFest they should hire some Japanese or Chinese workers. They get stuff done!

Just because you say "not being racist" doesn't make your comment any more acceptable. It's still racist.

• Like 1

There's also one of the 2006 production (which I couldn't get to play on my work computer, but you may have better luck. Individual results may vary):

This is the caliber of the shows I'd like to see at KI. I know that they cost a bit more money, than just the current state of shows. That show was entertaining, fun and had a great story line.

I personally don't go to many shows currently at KI because I don't feel that they really have a story line and they are a ton of music. While I enjoy them, I won't see them more than once. Would love to see a return of shows like this though!

Gator that stinks that the show wasn't as good as the KI ones!

• Like 2