New Attraction 2014 Poll

HTCO

I honestly think if they build a steel coaster or Rocky Mountain in the spot of where SOB once stood, they should call it, "Steel Beast".

It has a nice ring to it and IMO is an appropriate title to give a coaster.

Thats a good idea, Steel Beast at Kings Island but what type of coaster should that be? Maybe an Intamin Or B&M? I think KI should take a poll to decide the name of the next coaster.

^ A park would want a name chosen before a major announcement, so the resulting media coverage could build the new brand.

The reason to name something via a poll isn't because the marketing team lacks creativity; it's to build a sense of community or ownership. Hypothetically, if a major roller coaster is announced, this wouldn't be worth name confusion hurting public awareness.

Besides, "Dragster H2O" at Cedar Point is a terrible name for a mat slide.

• Like 2

I meant, if they gave a few different name choices and let us vote on which one we like the best.

They did.

The result was:

Just sayin'.

KI also needs to stay away from using "Beast" in a name. Adding another "Beast" will just confuse people.

• Like 2

I can see why woodie cravers want Gravity Group, but RMC is in the traditional woodie business. If you want a pre-fab woodie, RMC can make those too. Rocky Mountain Construction has more options that they have done than both Intamin and Gravity Group, and that is why I voted RMC. It was close between RMC and GG for me.

• Like 2

I would like to see them relocate the Big Dipper to KI. That would give us a woodie and provide tradition. Then, my feelings are leaning towards a massive steel coaster which, like The Beast, is terrain hugging, and would be VERY highly themed (tunnels, water, underground, etc.). Speed - either natural or launch-helped, should be incorporated, and I would prefer no inversions. The type of trains on the steel coaster doesn't matter to me, but I really like what was done at Kennywood with Phantom's Revenge's safety bars. I would like to see this coaster break records for length and speed and it would be nice to see if it could possibly be operated in various types of weather conditions - even allowing operation during Winterfest!

The other Idea I have is a launched wooden coaster - first of its kind, at least for a month or two until someone else steals my idea..

• Like 2

I like your idea about the relocation of Big Dipper, but I think that would mean Cedar Fair would have to buy it back from the owner. This would also mean that they would have to replace a lot of the wood. From what I heard, a lot of the wood has rotted it out and needs replaced. So to me, the owner is out of his mind of wanting the whole thing transported whole structure in all.

^^ The terms of sale most likely included a deadline for removal, which has presumably long passed. I can't imagine that the buyer would still have a claim after leaving it abandoned on Cedar Fair property for years.

Of course, IANAL and I have no information on the actual terms of sale.

I like the name "Dragster H20". Would somebody please explain to me what's wrong with it and presumably why you don't want me entering naming contests? :P

It's memorable, so perhaps "Dragster Hâ‚‚O" has one positive aspect. I have no idea what KI's mat slides are/were named without looking it up.

It's a bad name because a simple mat slide isn't connected in any way theme of auto racing, except for the fact that sliders "race" down the slide. Would "Dragster Kinda Wooden" be a good name for Gemini?

• Like 1

I like the name "Dragster H20". Would somebody please explain to me what's wrong with it and presumably why you don't want me entering naming contests? :P

It's memorable, so perhaps "Dragster Hâ‚‚O" has one positive aspect. I have no idea what KI's mat slides are/were named without looking it up.

It's a bad name because a simple mat slide isn't connected in any way theme of auto racing, except for the fact that sliders "race" down the slide. Would "Dragster Kinda Wooden" be a good name for Gemini?

Emphasis added.

That's precisely why I like it. Riders are racing down what, after the 360° turn, is more or less a six-lane mat dragstrip. Plus it's connected to a ride in the dry park as well. The combination of those two factors is all I need.