Most Memorable Vist to Kings Island

fanofFirehawk

Probably back somewhere around 1998 when I ran from a character in Hannah-Barbera Land and ended up under a table in Rivertown. I don't remember much of it, but my parents always like to tell that story to my friends and at family gatherings...

• Like 8

not sure if its just one visit or the brains ability to mold many visits into just one. But it would have to be one of the last times my Gpa was able to go to the park. We always go on Shriner's day. He would go to the picnic area and sit and socialize. Gma would go with us to the shows. We would laugh and enjoy food for way too long. Wait in long lines for The Beast, or log flume rides. Run to ride the backwards Racer. Dad and I would create a tape in the old recording studio. Eat fugdge in Ol' Coney. Gma and Aunt would tell me that the trees leading back to White Water Canyon were gum trees because of all the gum stuck to it. Being too small to ride King Cobra. Walking under the shade of the green over growth leading to Hannah Barbara/Nick land. Getting a picture infront of the Scooby/Fred Statues. Riding Antique cars with my cousin. Getting to drive even though I was 10 or 6 or 13.

Like I said, not sure if it was just one trip or the memories of many trips bleeding into one. Doesnt matter though because it still makes me smile. I still remember riding the shuttle to the parking lot, getting out and into the car and barely being awake by the time the car hit the expressway.

• Like 7

They are all memorable.Riding Vortex with my Mother,Prom date puking on my shoes in line for The Beast(I still rode!),Ice skating with my friends,riding DB non-stop with fastlane with my wife, riding Woodstock Express and Viking Fury with my 4 year old! Her favorite seat is the back with hands up from start to finish on both. Today i took her sledding and she pretended to ride all her favorite KI rides going down the hill. ;)

• Like 7

July 1982. Rode The Bat several times - totally new experience! Rode The Beast for the first time & came off of it shaking - still do to this day! Took my very first #2 at an amusement park that day (could have been from The Beast shaking me up). The weather was perfect, the park not too crowded, and was with 3 friends - all of us had a great, no, make that outstanding time!

The other time, which was equally as memorable, was in July of 2010. I was with my daughter and met up with a KIC member or two and, since I had to use my walker, we were able to access rides via the exit gate (of the ride), thus avoiding the long queue lines. A simply marvelous time - 2 days - with absolutely gorgeous weather, and except for puking after riding Delirium for the first time, everything was perfect.

I would imagine that future visits will also be awesome, but I will have to use my walker from now on which can be a bit frustrating whilst navigating through crowds. I need a loud, dual-note horn and a shirt with a big orange triangle on the back!

• Like 8

I know I've written about memorable trips on this site before, but one has now come to the forefront in my mind (I think mood affects which trip is most memorable for me; there are so many to choose from).

I'll set the scene:

It was 2003. I hadn't been to Kings Island in 18 years. I had been away, serving in Texas, New Jersey and Montana, then Turkey, then off to college in Maine. I lived a lifetime away from my "hometown" (this region that stretches from Downtown Cincinnati to Miamisburg, and points in between), and never thought I'd have a chance to come back and visit the park I loved so much. But, as fate would have it, I met my wife, got married, moved back to Mason, the town I was virtually born in. I could see the park, watch it's nice little fireworks displays from points around town, but I hadn't planned on visiting just yet.

Then, just out of the blue, my wife saw that I was feeling down one day, and she said "Come on, honey, I'm taking you to see a doctor, Dr. Pokaei." Not being sure exactly who this doctor was, I figured it was her family doctor or something. When we rolled into the parking lot of (Paramount's) Kings Island, I immediately figured out her clever play on the acronym "PKI."

For the first time in 18 loooooonnngg years, I was being led through the familiar front gate. It was one of those perfect, cloudless days where the sky looks impossibly blue, and the air is of the most comfortable temperature and humidity. The powerful, bombastic theme from "Superman" by John Williams was booming over the loudspeakers as we waited in the gathering line. The Face/Off, which I was finally seeing up close and in person, was lifting into position high above and to the left, ready to drop a cycle of eager riders into what lie beyond the obscurring trees and season pass center. The scent of many perfumes and sun screen blended miraculously well with the aroma of funnel cake and french fry. The signature, multi-chime steam whistle of the train echoed into my soul with just the right harmony to well up such long-built-up feelings of joy that I almost cried like a dork. -Thankfully, said coaster released with a dramatic, mechanical clunk, followed by a kind of thrill-borne scream I'd not heard "live" in quite some time, which threw my emotions into another, wonderful direction!

As we got closer to the gate, I looked past the booths and could see the majestic Royal Fountains, (which, by the way, have you noticed how they tower out of view past the ceiling of the front gate as you come in?). We made our way into the "lobby" and as I came out into the plaza, I don't know if it was timed to do this or not, but the closing crescendo of the Superman Theme was building, and so were the fountains! It was like the dag-gone park knew I was coming!

I could go on and on about this trip, but I just wanted to show what was so memorable about coming to the park after being away for so long. I will say that I rode the brand-new Delirium that day, which was memorable, because during one high swing, it felt like time slowed down, and I looked around at the park, under the amazingly bright, blue sky. For some reason, I locked on to the flashing, white lights (of the hammer game?) on Coney Mall, and watched it disappear out of view as the ride swung back through and under. For some reason, that will always stick out in my mind as one of the most memorable trips to Kings Island I can recall.

• Like 19

One could guess the most memorable of mine

My first visit to Boomerang Bay

Being myself I was amazed by the art work and colors of everything I saw. The entrance reminded me of Typhoon Lagoon and the architecture looked like something out of a book. I saw all of the references to Crocodile Dundee around and began to actually feel like I was in it. In fact my first water slide I rode at the new park was the Down Under Thunder or the Sydney Sidewinder. I remember how I walked the long walk around the Crocodile Run which I actually liked doing, all of the yellow and blue tubes floating around was just a sight (but a pain to get into). The most memorable part was the theming of the park, which I still dream of today.

• Like 3

Most of my KI and PKI visits have been in the past 10-11 years and I think my most memorable visit was in July of 2010, I went with my mom, and sister and we had one of the best trips I've ever had to Kings Island. We wanted to make an effort to ride every coaster in the park more than once that day. But I had told them that I wanted to get on The Beast at least 5 times, Little did we know, The lines were SO full on that day that I thought it would be hard to enjoy it. Overall we made the best of it and got to get our Beast night ride and rode Almost every coaster once. Very memorable trip indeed.

68gdba.jpg

• Like 1

July 1982. Rode The Bat several times - totally new experience! Rode The Beast for the first time & came off of it shaking - still do to this day! Took my very first #2 at an amusement park that day (could have been from The Beast shaking me up). The weather was perfect, the park not too crowded, and was with 3 friends - all of us had a great, no, make that outstanding time!

The other time, which was equally as memorable, was in July of 2010. I was with my daughter and met up with a KIC member or two and, since I had to use my walker, we were able to access rides via the exit gate (of the ride), thus avoiding the long queue lines. A simply marvelous time - 2 days - with absolutely gorgeous weather, and except for puking after riding Delirium for the first time, everything was perfect.

I would imagine that future visits will also be awesome, but I will have to use my walker from now on which can be a bit frustrating whilst navigating through crowds. I need a loud, dual-note horn and a shirt with a big orange triangle on the back!

I too was fortunate to get to experience The Bat roller coaster. I took 3 laps on it before I returned to find out it had been closed.

• Like 1

My most memorable KI trip. My brother and I took a trip to "The Island" on my birthday June 6th, several years ago. The lines were mostly "walk-on" and we literally grabbed 6 rides (each) Beast, Vortex, SOB (rip) Flight of Fear, Racer, 3 laps (each) on Adventure Express, and Flight Deck, and Face/Off.

Sorry, I don't recall the year, and coaster names may have been different at that time.

• Like 3

I had another memorable visit, reminded to me sadly because of the horrible news mentioned in another post.

I remember it as clear as anything. I was 16 years old and I was riding Adventure Express with a buddy when the train started to leave the station I hear a female voice yell my last name. I turn in time to see my good friend from theater. The train returned and my buddy and I waited for her train to pull in. We had a blast the rest of the day. Grabbed a bite to eat and it was just awesome catching a good friend at the park by accident (remember these were the days before Facebook/twitter and texting still cost a little bit for each message). We all had a blast and I remember that at the end of the night we all said our goodbyes. My female friend and I made plans to maybe catch dinner later in the summer but for sure to catch up with each other in the fall during theater.

Well the school year started and I saw my female friend's grandma at school every day (she worked at my school). But I am saddened to say that I never ever got to see my friend again. Things happen when you are that age where you feel you have all the time in the world. She did theater at her school I did theater at another. But we would text each other saying how we need to hang out. That Novemeber Jess Carson crashed on 275 near route 4 in November of that year (2002). Her and her friend died.

Sorry to be a downer.

• Like 2

One of my most memorable trips (I can't decide which one's best) was on the evening of Friday, July 23, 2010. This KI trip actually happened "accidentally." You see, my mom and I were going down to see a performance of "Pilgrim's Progress" in Cincy, so we were dressed up in semi-formal clothing. I was wearing brown gaucho pants, a yellow and white shirt, and brown dress sandals. We got there only to find out that the performance was on the next Friday, on July 30. On the way up Interstate 71, I eventually persuaded my mom to stop at Kings Island, since she had her wallet which contained our Gold Passes. It felt a little weird going to an amusement park in gauchos, a pretty shirt and dress sandals, but I still really enjoyed being there. My mom used her cellphone (since she didn't have her camera with her) to take a picture of me standing in front of the Kings Island sign in front of the Royal Fountains. By then it was getting dark as it was about 9 pm, and the park closed at 10. I rode Diamondback a couple of times. Each time my DB train climbed the lift hill, I looked longingly at Vortex while mental debates were raging inside my mind about whether or not I should try it, since I had NEVER been on a looping coaster. At about 9:40, I still hadn't decided if I wanted to ride Vortex, so I decided to ride Shake Rattle & Roll in case I wanted to try Vortex. After I got off SR&R it was about 9:50. Vortex's entrance was right there, so I decided to go for it. As I started to climb that first flight of stairs upon entering the queue, "The March" from the movie March of the Penguins popped into my head as I stepped into Vortex's loading station for the first time to find a really short line, pretty much a walk on. I waited for the front seat, and got all the more anxious when I was next and the train that was going to whisk me through my first six inversions was rolling into the station. The train stopped, the gates opened, and I stepped into the open train. I immediately saw how spacious it was, especially in the front of the lead car. I slowly pulled the shoulder harness down and buckled the seatbelt. The "bell" rang, the harnesses were checked, and...."All clear!" I knew there was no turning back now, as the op was saying, "That all clear means you are rolling outta here! Enjoy your ride on Vortex, at night....."
I said to myself, "I hope so..." as the train engaged the lift hill and the soon-to-be-familiar Arrow anti-rollback noise hit my ears. For the first time in a long time, I could smell the already-familiar chain grease smell (I had first smelled it on Woodstock Express and The Beast). The ride's chasing lights and The Beast's two lift hills were to the left of the ascending train, and the rest of the park, lit up in the dark of the night, sat to the right. I looked at the chasing lights and said, "At least those lights are going faster than me." The higher the train climbed, the more nervous I got. I looked at the track ahead as the hilltop got closer and closer, as the train would soon be swooping through the inversions waiting below. The train crested, and I thought, "Here goes nothing..." as the first turn and drop took it away. I didn't scream since I had rode the taller and faster Diamondback beforehand. My method of relaxing and being open-minded during the ride had become a habit long before; I knew the ride was a little bumpy, before the ride I was thinking, "This ride is 23 years old; it's SUPPOSED to be bumpy!" I actually liked the bumps. Finally the first loop was upon the train and I. I sat back and held on tight. The first two loops jerked me forward a little (I had yet to learn about loop forces at the time) but still, it was cool! As the train was slowed at the MCBR, I said, "Going upside down isn't too bad at all! Okay, corkscrews and batwing, I think I'm ready for you!!" Meanwhile, I had been holding on to the harness so tightly that my left hand had "fallen asleep". But when I let go, my hand would "wake up" again, and if I started holding on again then my hand would fall back asleep. So I slid my hands under the handles and held on that way as the train entered the first corkscrew. The hang time caught me by surprise, and I instantly began to love the feeling of hanging against the harness. The train slowly exited the second corkscrew and then maneuvered onward to the batwing, which contained Inversions #5 and #6. It had the forces similar to those of the loops, and a fraction of corkscrew hangtime. The flash from the ride-photo camera was a bit disorienting; almost blinding, as the last inversion was executed, which I thought was also cool. The train wound up the helix and finally arrived at the final brake runs; and later, the station. As the train in front of it was loading the few waiting passengers, I thought, "This is a neat ride! Maybe I can try Firehawk sometime...it won't be that bad." (the only thing that kept me from riding Firehawk was the inversions) When I disembarked, I said to my mom, "Oh my goodness; I can't believe I just went upside down SIX TIMES! I feel GREAT!" At the time it was about 9:55, so I had enough time for another cycle on Vortex before the park closed. So I went and rode Vortex again.

From that first ride forward, I loved it. Vortex is truly the ride that began my thrill-seeking and inversion conquering. It totally changed my point of view about "those big, scary-looking rides."

Not only did I heroically take my first ride on a looper, it was also my first KI trip that I got to see a fireworks show. What a great (and memorable) night it turned out to be!
(I know, it's pretty long, but I LOVE mentioning the little things too ;))

• Like 7

I would have to say Ride Warriors Weekend back on 2009! That is where I met a lot of the KIC'ers for the first time, and really started a lot of friendships with people on this site and other enthusiasts! Arriving at the park around 7am and then marathoning DB till 1 AM will be the most time I have spent in the park in one day.

• Like 2

• 3 years later...

I don't remember the date, but it was this last season when i conquered my fear of heights. I used to go to the park and not ride anything above The Racers or Bat but still loved the environment at the park, though i had always wanted to get past that fear. During a lot of trips with my roommate last season i would wait off ride while he rode bigger things like Diamondback and Banshee while always trying to get me on as well. Eventually came a day when i went to the park alone, but was determined to make a change, so one arriving i went right in line for The Beast, and loved it, but it still want that significant of a change. I figured the best way to get over it was to just go at it, so after psyching myself up a bit i got on WindSeeker. Of course yeah i was terrified, i had only been up the Eiffel Tower once prior, but once the ride got to the top it was sunset at the park and there was a beautiful view of light streaks across the horizon.

Afterwards as if it wasn't enough i headed to Diamondback in which i wound up staring down for a bit before actually getting in line, and never has a line seemed to have moved so fast once i got in, i rode mid train on the brown snake and it was the most fun i have had in the park to date. I remember getting off the ride shaking half thinking i'm not gonna do that again, even though i walked right back in line for one more go. 

• Like 6

As a follow up story, during an extra ride time at the park where The Beast and Diamondback had an hour (pretty sure it was an hour) of extra ride time i got a night ride of The Beast in (who could resist) Then i made a terrible mistake. Diamondback had no line, and i marathoned it the rest of the night nonstop. Was if fun? Oh yeah. Did i get really bad motion sickness as soon as i stopped, you bet. No regrets :wacko:

• Like 4

My most recent memorable visit was Closing Day, November 1, 2015. A lot of things made that evening so wonderful, including an absolutely beautiful sunset, my 300th ride on Vortex, and my first night rides on Diamondback and Banshee! Best of all, I got to celebrate it with a number of my KICentral buddies!

Read the full account here: http://www.KICentral.com/forums/index.php/topic/31570-11012015-best-closing-day-ever/

• Like 5

Well, this is tough to choose, as I've had many memorable visits to Kings Island in the last few years- and though my first ever trip as a kid in 2000, my return for the first time in 9 years in 2009, and others were pretty memorable, amazingly I'd have to say they got beaten in that regard. What visit beat them out?

Opening Day 2014. My first ever opening day, and the public debut of the awesome Banshee roller coaster. Son of Beast (an iconic ride because it was so huge and was the big new ride on my first ever visit) was gone, and this new coaster had replaced it. I also had the papers to redeem for my first-ever gold season pass. I knew we were gonna be in for a long day though, before we even hit the parking lot, as someone driving a blue SUV line jumped the line of cars trying to get in the park and scraped our rental SUV (the police later confronted them and they probably got hit with a huge fine). It was an hour just to get into the park.

Total list of things I rode that day, in order: Backlot Stunt Coaster (45 minute wait), Banshee (4 1/2 hour wait), and The Beast @ Night (90 minute wait). Yep, that's it. We also ate Chicken from the then-new Chicken Shack (I remember it being amazing), Hank's Burritos (also very good that day), and we visited Dinosaurs Alive for the first time. I also had WindSeeker break down on me for what felt like the billionth time (finally riding that thing later in the year felt so rewarding). Banshee was actually worth the super-long wait, but as it has done to me on nearly every visit I have had to KI save perhaps one time which was also in 2014, Beast stole the show with an incredible night ride with my sister (the rest of the group had broken away and left us to do it by ourselves).

It was not exactly the best day at Kings Island, but sometimes, you remember how you had fun in spite of major problems. (Halloween Haunt 2010 was not THIS bad, but it was also a crowded crazy visit and that one was also memorable). Also a follow-up visit the next month with nearly zero crowds helped make up for it. :P

I even did a trip report on this particular trip. Link below for those interested in the full story...

http://www.KICentral.com/forums/index.php/topic/29273-mcsalsas-coaster-adventures-tr-Banshee-madness-2014/

• Like 3

August 11, 2010. I went to the park with a very close friend in order to celebrate his 18th birthday, and as one last visit for me before I headed off to college a couple weeks later. It wasn't until the following season that I got my first season pass, so visits to Kings Island were still very much a special occasion for me. I couldn't really tell you anything specific that we did that day other than riding Vortex probably 10-15 times. Neither of us knew that we would not be able to celebrate his birthday at Kings Island the following year, or ever again...

Sure, I've had many great visits since then, and the visit where I discovered my love for coasters and amusement parks in general was obviously also very memorable, but that particular visit will always be my most cherished Kings Island memory..

• Like 5

Two trips really stand out in my mind...

My first ever trip was back in '84. i remember cause it was the year King Cobra opened. Matter of fact it was closed because of some kind of wheel problem. I was just fascinated with it. Anyway mom had takin me and my sister to Camden Park and of course our county fair the few years prior, and I was just in love with being on about any ride I could. I was to little to ride any of the "big" coasters but loved The Beastie. Being I was only 7 years old at the time, I don't remember every little thing that we did. but I remember a good bit of it. I loved the Flintstone bumper cars, as well as the Smurfs Enchanted Voyage, Being mad that I wasn't tall enough to ride Racer. Lookin at The Bat and tryin to figure out how in the world it worked. The worst part was, of course the drive there (to a 7 year old, it seemed like forever) . It was truly a great day of my childhood.

And mom loved coasters. Guess that's where I get it from..

And then the first trip I got to take my kids in '09. My oldest two were just tall enough to ride anything in the park, (my daughter was like 54 and 1/4 inches) and I got to do with my kids what my mom did for me years ago. Couldn't get my boy to go on DB, my daughter did and cried about half way up the lift, but loved it after that. She even done here science fair project on KI that year. And me and my boy have a few trips planned this year.

I love that place........

• Like 6