Flashback Till Opening Day 2013

TOPGUN1993

I`d be all for the Flying Eagles migrating back to Kings Island. Some tidbits about that photo. The path that leads off to the middle of the picture on the left is headed towards the Skyride station (this picture was taken from the Skyride). Also visible at the right side of the image is the track for the Tumble Bug, which was relocated from Coney Island.

Great picture of The Bat! I don't think I've ever seen that angle before.

Also, loved the Phantom Theater picture. One of my most missed rides at the park, makes you sad to see those and compare it to what's in there now - at least we still have a decent dark ride though.

Thanks again for doing this, I love seeing all the interesting and unique photos of the park you have!

• Like 1

Seeing all of the posts about Phantom Theater makes me wish I'd actually gotten a chance to ride it before it was "Scooby-fied". I was a kid when that was put in, and my parents don't like haunted houses and the like, so we didn't ride it. We were just disappointed that our beloved smurf boat ride had been replaced with a haunted house.

^ ...Cried the binomial multiplication.

(I'm sorry. I have a thing with math jokes. I'll stop.)

As always, I love the photos, TOPGUN. I wonder if the park's ever considered restoring the flume/trough/gutter/whatever system with a small water system that would be contained just to that area. No ponds or anything; just have the water at the bottom run into a pump that would push the water back to the top. The pump could be disguised with a bucket, etc. to blend in.

• Like 4

Visitors even back then were tossing stuff in to the water. I can just imagine....

You know how when you clean your house, you tend to keep it that way for as long as you can because it is easy to keep it that way? When you have guests over they also tend to be more cautious about keeping their mess to a minimum and cleaning up after themselves. I believe the same goes for Amusement Parks. Parks that are organized, and continuously keep their establishment clean I have found to have less litter from guests. Disney always has a very polished look and is extremely clean and I found myself holding on to my trash until I found a bin to toss it. Kings Island (unfortunately) even with its trillions of trash cans cant get that same result. I don't think the amount of trash cans one park helps it become cleaner, if anything it makes the park look worse and dirtier. It comes down to if the guests feel uncomfortable littering because of the parks current state. It takes extra money to keep a park as big as KI clean, but its results can have a huge impact on yearly attendance.

• Like 6

Visitors even back then were tossing stuff in to the water. I can just imagine....

You know how when you clean your house, you tend to keep it that way for as long as you can because it is easy to keep it that way? When you have guests over they also tend to be more cautious about keeping their mess to a minimum and cleaning up after themselves. I believe the same goes for Amusement Parks. Parks that are organized, and continuously keep their establishment clean I have found to have less litter from guests. Disney always has a very polished look and is extremely clean and I found myself holding on to my trash until I found a bin to toss it. Kings Island (unfortunately) even with its trillions of trash cans cant get that same result. I don't think the amount of trash cans one park helps it become cleaner, if anything it makes the park look worse and dirtier. It comes down to if the guests feel uncomfortable littering because of the parks current state. It takes extra money to keep a park as big as KI clean, but its results can have a huge impact on yearly attendance.

^^ I'm not so sure anymore. Some will adhere to this, but others figure 'that's somebody else's job' and feel no remorse about tossing a butt or trash - in fact they get defensive if it's mentioned (not that *I* would say something like, "you're not planning to leave that there, are you?") :rolleyes:

• Like 3

I'd think they'd be something to say about the demographics of Disney vs KI. I'm assuming Disney mainly serves families and/or adults on vacation for a few days to a week. A decent chunk of King's Island clientel includes kids "dropped off at the front of the park" that make 2 or more visits a year, every year. No matter what you do, when your at a park on a "regular" basis its going to lose some of the charm that Disney can hold. Kids as a group are going to be less respectful of the trash they leave behind than adults. Of course there are acceptions to that generalization, but even if King's Island put the same amount of people to work in the litter getter department, they likely wouldn't keep it as clean as Disney