What is your Flight of Fear Expirience?

mccarthysnerd

The first time I rode it, it took my breath away. Literally. It was my first launched coaster besides BLSC and I wasn't expecting it to be as fast as it was. Once I got off, I was really dizzy. Even though it scared the living out of me, I rode it multiple times afterwards.

I love the effects, but I wish they would reshoot the movie they play in the queue, because it's getting outdaded (if not already). I also wish they would increase the volume inside the building because the only time you can really hear the music is on the brake run.

• Like 6

I rode FOF the first year it opened when it had the over-the-shoulder restraints with the padding that was at ear level. My experience in one word: Painful. My ears felt like they had been boxed in. They had signs that recommended anyone wearing earrings should remove them. After that I rarely rode it until I found out during one off season that they had replaced the old restraints with the lap restraints they now have. Now it doesn't seem as bad although one ride per visit is usually enough for me.

• Like 8

I knew absolutely nothing about it before I rode it for the first time. I think I was startled by the launch (upon entering the station) and by realizing (on the ride) that I was going upside down. I used to avoid things with inversions.

I'm pretty sure I was expecting something more similar to Disaster Transport.

The first time I rode it, it took my breath away. Literally. It was my first launched coaster besides BLSC and I wasn't expecting it to be as fast as it was. Once I got off, I was really dizzy. Even though it scared the living out of me, I rode it multiple times afterwards.

I think I had a headache afterwards; I definitely didn't ride it multiple times! I probably missed the printed instruction to have my head flat against the headrest during the launch.

It did get me to (finally) ride Vortex, however.

• Like 4

I, too, rode the Flight of Fear during it's opening summer (possibly even the opening weekend). I remember how bad it hurt because of the over the shoulder restraints. I remember having such a headache after I got off. I was there with a group of friends and we all got our head banged around so badly that we left the park after riding that ride.

I remember seeing the queue line video for the first time and thinking that it was pretty cheesy then! I do agree that it needs to be re-shot and updated a bit. "What the blazes was that?"

I do enjoy the ride now though. I love the new lap restraints because it eliminates much of the pain experienced in it's early years! However, there is no cure for the dizziness that I always experience lol. That is just part of the ride though! I can definitely say it's one of the most thrilling rides that I ride at the park!

• Like 3

I agree. The music volume needs to be increased inside the bowl. You can really only clearly hear it at the MCBR and brake run. That music deserves to be heard. As far as the video goes, I don't really think it's that our of date. The only part of it I can see needing a change is the clothing everyone wears.

As far as on ride experiences, it varies in each seat I sit in. When I'm in the front, I get to see the track and get more of a "view" (although there's not much to see besides glimpses of track). The hang time is pretty good in the corkscrew. When I'm in the back, I get inundated with crazy positives in the inversions.

EDIT: I had breaks in the writing, but the site's formatting must have screwed up.

EDIT2: Nevermind

• Like 4

The only thing I remember from my first ride was...well, I don't really remember it.

My last right was a wet one.

Early in the season, when I rode it, the attendants wouldn't take my water bottle, so I just wedged it behind me in my seat.

I never had ANY problems with this until the last time I rode for this season. During take off, the lid loosened and, well, the rest is self explanatory.

• Like 5

The only thing I remember from my first ride was...well, I don't really remember it.

Early in the season, when I rode it, the attendants wouldn't take my water bottle, so I just wedged it behind me in my seat.

I never had ANY problems with this until the last time I rode for this season. During take off, the lid loosened and, well, the rest is self explanatory.

So, in effect, you wet yourself?

• Like 3

So, in effect, you wet yourself?

Essentially, YES! :D

It made me happy to think that the person to sit in that seat after me was going to be left wondering what they'd just sat in. lol

My first ride was awesome. In 2004 i took my sister in law on it. She had never done an inversion and i neglected to tell her (on purpose) there were any. As soon as we hit the first inversion I spent the rest of the ride keeping her head from boucing around. She did not pass out but she was so scared she could not hold her head up. In 2012 i took my niece on it. This was her 2nd ride after Woodstock Express. I informed her about the ride and she still wanted to do it. It was a repeat of my experience with my sister in law. Good Times.

• Like 2

I love Flight of Fear, but I love Kings Dominion's a smidge more. Ours is violent and abrupt, but theirs just kinda rolls through the inversions like it's a brand new ride. The MCBR doesn't even touch the train, and it flies through the second half with twice the grace our trimmed ride has. It's the same forces, etc., but theirs just seems to do it without the shakiness. That's not a critique of our ride, because the violence of our Flight of Fear is endearing, at least to me; it's just what it felt like in 2010. I really wonder why that is.

My favorite ride on FOF was with Captain Nemo a couple years ago during Haunt. It was the first Haunt with the green laser lights in the launch tunnel. We esentially had a ZEN ride, with both of us being the only ones on the train in the front row. At the midcourse we had to push ourselves forward to get the train to move out of the brakes from where it was almost completely stopped.

• Like 5

I have so many good experiences on FOF. I remember my first ride back in 1996, waited 3 hours with my dad. After the launch I remember my dad kept on saying are we upside down. 1997 was my first season working in rides, started off the season working Vikings Fury and Skylab after Skylab bite the dust I ended up bouncing from ride to ride then in July I transferred to FOF. Returned to FOF for the 1998 season then started off 1999 on Face/Off but before the end of the preseason I ended up back on FOF and trained their crew while the ride didn't have Supervisors, hoping this would give me the opportunity to become a Sup I ended up training the new Sups then sent back to Face/off, by mid summer I transferred to Skyflyer. 2000 Face/Off Skyflyer teamed up and I stayed on till the end of 2001 and only worked on FOF a hand full of times after.

Don't know if a lot of you remember during the 99 season Drop Tower opened late, we found out that if FOF launched at the same time Drop Tower was pulling up through the magnates it would blow the power out of half the park eeeeh. I'll never forget having to run up to the Mid course brakes to yell up to the riders stranded on the ride and that was before the evacuation platforms. Once they discovered this they installed a direct line between Drop Tower and FOF and we called it The Bat phone and had to call before every launch to ensure it was ok to go ahead lol. 2002 I started working on Mech 2 rides maintenance and during the off season between 02 and 03 I got to hang around FOF torquing bolts and climbing all over it looking for stress cracks in the welds! While in rides maintenance I got to operate the ride when they had staff shortages and during Fear Fest "Halloween Haunt".

• Like 5

Don't know if a lot of you remember during the 99 season Drop Tower opened late, we found out that if FOF launched at the same time Drop Tower was pulling up through the magnates it would blow the power out of half the park eeeeh. I'll never forget having to run up to the Mid course brakes to yell up to the riders stranded on the ride and that was before the evacuation platforms. Once they discovered this they installed a direct line between Drop Tower and FOF and we called it The Bat phone and had to call before every launch to ensure it was ok to go ahead lol.

Do you know if Tower and FoF are still connected like that?