What is your Flight of Fear Expirience?

mccarthysnerd

Don't know if a lot of you remember during the 99 season Drop Tower opened late, we found out that if FOF launched at the same time Drop Tower was pulling up through the magnates it would blow the power out of half the park eeeeh. I'll never forget having to run up to the Mid course brakes to yell up to the riders stranded on the ride and that was before the evacuation platforms. Once they discovered this they installed a direct line between Drop Tower and FOF and we called it The Bat phone and had to call before every launch to ensure it was ok to go ahead lol.

Do you know if Tower and FoF are still connected like that?

Not sure what the did but they corrected the issue.

• 1 month later...

My first ride was in 2003 I think, with one of my best friends. He'd convinced me to finally get up the nerve to ride The Vortex that day, since I didn't ride many of the coasters at that point. Once I rode it, I was hooked, so we proceeded to ride every coaster in the park that day. We barely made it before the line cutoff that night for FoF, and we waited for about an hour. It was worth it, though - the rush of the launch was awesome the first time (and still is, really).

• Like 4

I started riding Flight of Fear not very long after I started riding Vortex. My first ride on it was during a KI trip on Tuesday, August 17, 2010. I was wanting to ride Firehawk, but it was having a technical delay, so I opted to ride FoF and then Firehawk. I still remember watching the pre-show while waiting in a 20-25 minute line. I was riding in the front seat. When I heard the "All clear!" I was getting anxious, but I knew it wouldn't be as scary as I thought. When the train launched, I screamed all the way up until the cobra roll; I even forgot all about the ride photo being taken in the launch tunnel! Throughout the first part I was saying "Oh my goodness gracious!!" as the train was twirling through near total darkness with only a few lights lighting part of the way. The ride was really exciting, and at the end, the left corkscrew caught me off guard. FoF obviously goes through its single corkscrew at a faster speed than Vortex does when traveling through its double corkscrew.

After that exciting adventure on FoF, I joined the 20 minute long line for Firehawk and rode it for the first time, in the fourth row in the far right. Had another great ride.... :)

• Like 4

Well, I think Flight of Fear is awesome and is always a great ride. This past season, I actually closed my eyes on FoF to try to experince what it must have been like when the main part of the ride building was pitch black. It was pretty crazy. :D I also like the line video, the saucer and all the retro computers and other technology. Basically, I think the whole experince is pretty cool.

EDIT: I do actually remember my first ride was on a limited operation day, so FoF was one of the only "big" rides open. I was scared (as I'd never been on an indoor coaster before), but I enjoyed it.

• Like 3

Flight of Fear has always had a special place in my heart. It was my first looping coaster and for that reason it is still one of my favorite rides anywhere. It's hard to beat that first launch and the following cobra roll. I most recently rode it this summer and after riding Rock n' Rollercoaster at Disney World was a bit disapointed in terms of theming. (But what was i expecting? It's KI not DW) But the experience of zooming through the dark upside down is always great!

• Like 3

My experiences on FoF range from "OUTSTANDING!!, to "Did someone just hit me in the head with a sledgehammer?" Really hated the OTSR, much better ride without them. Always ride it when we go, just never know how we'll feel when we get off. I've heard the ride experience can be greatly affected by "wheel wear". Not a ride mechanic, but sounds feasible?

• Like 2

Of course, watching the coaster take off that fast is scary, but my first ride, I was absolutely terrified that it was going to be that fast for the entire duration, but of course, after the launch, I loved it. I was convinced that ILM was the way to go in transportation. It was dizzying.

The ride I remember the most is the one after I'd racked my ribs on The Beast, before it was redone, then road FOF. The lap bar fell back too far, and caught up under my ribcage. That was the only ride I could feel when we were sideways, it hurt like heck.

• Like 2

My friend decided one day a few years ago to put me on Flight of Fear. I was really worried because that was before i had really ridden any thing yet and didn't know what to expect. So as we are boarding the train, just as I had closed and locked my lap bar they told my friend to get off because he was just barely under the line.I freaked out but not for long because then It launched. Now it is one of my favorites.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

First time I rode it was when i was 13. Back then I loved coasters, but still got extremely nervous on anything I rode. When it was my turn to ride, I was literally shaking and was white in the face. That disappeared as soon as the ride took off! That one ride killed any future nervousness of riding coasters. I still remember the headache that the head restraints gave me though! haha

Flight of Fear will always hold a special place in my heart as it was my first ever looping roller coaster. I always enjoy Flight of Fear, it seems that on some days you can catch it running really well and on others it just doesn't do it for me. It is always a must ride for me though however.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

The closing your eyes suggestion reminds me of a day I had at Lesourdesville. I rode every ride twice, once eyes closed, once eyes open, with a friend who was blind so I could tell him what the difference was.

Has NOTHING to do with FOF, but the memory just cropped up.

The difference for me with the lighting in FOF is that I can see the twisting design of the coaster. It's creepy to me to see how close the sides of the silo and the track is. I like seeing it.

• Like 2