Disney Electronic Guest Braclets to Enhance Profits of Parks

The New York Times reports Disney Parks will introduce new technology allowing guests to wear a bracelet which will expedite payments, track guests and mine information about behaviors, called MyMagic+ the system will be introduced this spring.

The rubber Magic Bands will function as room key, park ticket, FastPass, credit card, and schedule or reserve parade seats, character visits (and tell the character the visitors name so they can be greeted personally), and like a frequent flier loyalty program card.

Collectable charms and Magic Band accessories will be developed to generate additional sales and speed guest adoption of the technology. Disney expects MyMagic+ to cost between $800 million and one billion dollars.

Enhancing the guest experience is paramount to the project.

Read more:

http://www.nytimes.com/2013/01/07/business/media/at-disney-parks-a-bracelet-meant-to-build-loyalty-and-sales.html?nl=todaysheadlines&emc=edit_th_20130107&_r=0

• Like 1

And I`d have to assume that Disney see the potential to more than earn back the initial upfront cost of the program. In order to facilitate this initiative, Disney has installed free WiFi at the Walt Disney World complex, a 40 square mile area.

I have to admit that the idea of having a Disney character say your kids name and wish them Happy Birthday is beyond cool and will certainly sell the magic and create a memory to last a life time.

And as the article points out, it will allow Disney to collect information about their guests and their patterns, which will be useful in so many ways. From future park attractions, to amending show times, to park operating hours, staffing, and so much more. It will be cool to see what comes out of this.

My one fear is that in the future, when you plan a trip to Walt Disney World, you will schedule your entire park visit, before even stepping foot in the park. That takes some of the spontaneity out of a visit to an amusement park if the entire day is all mapped out before even walking into the place.

• Like 4

That's what I don't like. If they had NextGen initiatives that fit into the parks well (Haunted Mansion queue is a perfect example of this not being done- Space Mountain queue is an example of doing it right) and weren't so creepy (George Orwell is rolling in his grave), I wouldn't mind it as much. But the whole xPass/FP+ thing is a mess. Between adding it to rides that should not have a FP line (Spaceship Earth, Imagination, Seas, Haunted Mansion) and forcing you to schedule much of your vacation months in advance (dining reservations, anyone), they've gone a bit far. A centralized FP system is a great idea, but scheduling set times might not be the right answer.

I do find it mindboggling that if the government announced a tracking program like this there would be an outcry heard like never before...but let Disney announce it and people not only will be lining up for the chance, but they will even spend more money to add trinkets to their tracking bracelet! :lol:

My one fear is that in the future, when you plan a trip to Walt Disney World, you will schedule your entire park visit, before even stepping foot in the park. That takes some of the spontaneity out of a visit to an amusement park if the entire day is all mapped out before even walking into the place.

I agree completely...know when to say when.