HW: Matt Eckert named new President and CEO

Juries decide facts in most trials. People like you...and me. If you get called to jury duty, please don't try to dodge it. The system needs YOU.

Terp. The preceding was a public service announcement, and one Terp cares deeply about. Thank you.

I would agree with those words. I was summoned to Jury duty back at the end of November, and I went into it wishing my name had not been selected. But getting placed on a jury and witnessing the judicial process at work was eye opening. I would recommend people serve on jury duty and not try to dodge it. I certainly had a fun time on it, and would gladly serve again if my name is selected.

• Like 4

• 4 weeks later...

New interview with Matt!

I constantly ask myself What would Will Do? and I spent enough time with him that in my heart and head I know what he would want and what he would do.

http://silivingmag.com/building-on-a-legacy-holiday-worlds-new-president-and-ceo/

Great article! I think Holiday World is going to be doing just fine with Matt at the helm. He may not be a Koch, but he seems to hold the same values and ideas of the Kochs.

There are some exciting years ahead for HW, and it will be interesting to see where he takes the park.

• 1 month later...

So the next question will be, will she still be seen at the park this season? Its such a shame that such a wonderful family run park like this has gone through such turmoil (and very public at times) fighting. Hopefully, this fighting does not negatively impact the park this season, or in the seasons to come.

• Like 1

To not see Pat Koch in any commercials would deter me from coming in all honsety. When I first met her a few years ago, she literally made me feel like a part of her family. She knew that I was from Ohio and had never been to the park before. Throughout the day, as I passed her and Dan on the midways, she would stop whatever she was doing to see if I was having a good day at the park! Such a sweet lady! I sure hope she's at the park this year, even if I don't visit.

• Like 9

I love Pat, and I love seeing her at the entrance every day. But there is a few things we have to realize:

1) we are enthusiasts. A special group, that would probably notice if Pat was missing from the park on a certain day. And we would also think it strange to not see Pat on the commercials But the general public probably would not even notice a thing. And the emphasis on the rides as opposed to the owners of the park may really help bring in some general public crowds.

2) Pat's getting old, guys. Sooner or later, she won't be there to welcome people at the gates by means of health. That is imminent. So saying that if Pat isn't there, you may not wanna be there seems like sort of a stretch. One day, that will be the case. She won't be there. Or on the commercials. So if Holiday World sees it fit to showcase the rides on the commercials for once, why not?

Because of the reason she's not in the ads. That's why.

A family fight is taking place over who owns/controls the park. For Matt to spin this as a positive change of direction for the park is distasteful at best. HE said not to expect Pat in ads. He should have just kept his mouth shut about that.

If Dan wins his appeal, look for a change in management at the park. Lori FIRED Dan. Let us not forget.

• Like 5

I love Pat, and I love seeing her at the entrance every day. But there is a few things we have to realize:

1) we are enthusiasts. A special group, that would probably notice if Pat was missing from the park on a certain day. And we would also think it strange to not see Pat on the commercials But the general public probably would not even notice a thing. And the emphasis on the rides as opposed to the owners of the park may really help bring in some general public crowds.

2) Pat's getting old, guys. Sooner or later, she won't be there to welcome people at the gates by means of health. That is imminent. So saying that if Pat isn't there, you may not wanna be there seems like sort of a stretch. One day, that will be the case. She won't be there. Or on the commercials. So if Holiday World sees it fit to showcase the rides on the commercials for once, why not?

I guess I should have been a bit more clear in my if Pat would not be in any commercials it may deter me from coming. I meant that if I were a GP member that visited the park often and to suddenly see that Pat wasn't going to be in any commercials and to see the news of Eckert saying she wouldn't be in any of them, would deter me. People like what they know. It's been proven time and time again in various park situations.

But you are correct, Pat is getting old. Sooner or later she won't be there. That's why I cherish the small memories I have of her and have these wishes that she were a part of the commercials and the park as she was.

As Terpy said, having Eckert spin this as a positive thing, is a bit distasteful.

• Like 6

For PR types, putting a positive spin on changes is par for the course. Even if the reasons for the change are anything but positive.

What I find despicable is that most content including Dan has been deleted from Holiday World's blog and YouTube channel.

Lori FIRED Dan. Let us not forget.

She hired him, too.

I appreciate Dan's comment that there's a lot more to this feud than revealed in public court briefs.

• Like 1

^ Excerpt from the IndyStar article, referring to before Dan executed his rights under the shareholder agreement:

Lori found herself in charge of her late husband’s estate, which held 60 percent controlling interest in Holiday World.

With the park amid the peak summer season, Lori asked Dan to leave his law practice in Florida, where he had lived for the past 20 years, to run Holiday World in a pinch. Dan owned the other 40 percent of the stock. (By 2010, the two brothers had bought out their siblings.)

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Just a little over a week until I make my 5th annual trip to HW's opening day. I sincerely hope that I see Pat at the entrance, as I have almost every year. There was only one year that she wasn't at the gate on opening day. When I saw her a month later, I asked her where she had been, and she told me that she had been visiting her family in Florida. I'll try to remember to report back if she was there.

Even though she is what many on here may consider "old", she is very active. I imagine constantly walking up and down those hills and around the entire park would keep you good shape!

• Like 7

When asked: what do you expect will be the biggest challenge this season at your park, and how will you overcome it?

http://content.yudu.com/A24unv/PWApr2013/resources/index.htm?referrerUrl=http%3A%2F%2Fparkworld-online.com%2F

"Our biggest challenge each year is in finding new ways to improve our level of guest experience. We don't ever want to say "good enough" and rest on our laurels. We study our cornerstones: safety, service, friendliness and cleanliness and set company-wide and departmental goals to help us exceed the previous season's results. I'm
confident we can continue to improve."

This is still there, tagged "Mrs. Koch. "

http://www.holidayworld.com/holiblog/tags/mrs-koch

Mrs. Koch?

Like that younger Mrs. Koch fighting for control of the park?

And the newest entry is before the most recent change in control at the park.

Sigh.

So the new order sees her as Mrs. Koch. And a part of the history of the park, apparently not the present.