HW: Matt Eckert named new President and CEO

They had already removed virtually all content from YouTube that included Dan Koch.

It appears the website may have always referred to Pat as Mrs. Koch, yet literally nothing has been added to the site about her for more than six months. This is indeed a new, and troubling, direction.

Anyone go to the park yesterday? Was Pat there?

This is just terribly sad to watch.

• Like 3

I was. And I saw no Pat.

Take it with a grain of salt though, because I was only at the park for about an hour and I got there later in the day at around 12. It was miserably cold and rainy. So I would have been shocked to see Pat there even under normal circumstances.

• Like 2

I'm personally hoping the courts rule in favor of using the DeLorean to go back in time and stop this whole mess before it started. I hate the fact that Pat is not publicly associating herself with the park this year. It's her, her husband's, and Will's passion for the place that brought it from Santa Claus Land to the awesome place it is today. Quite frankly, I've lost my interest in going to Holiwood Nights, as I don't feel like Lori is remotely interested in the original dream for the park and I don't understand Dan's intent to overlook Will's kids (who are his own nieces and nephews and have worked at the park for years) to bring his own children in.

New management is focused on personal glory rather than the reason the park exists in the first place. Holiday World's presence is entirely based on the perception of management integrity, including not feeling like they're out to get every last cent they can get. I find that contrast both disappointing and off-putting.

• Like 4

I was intending to purchase a HW season pass for the first time this year and make three multi-day trips there (Holiwood Nights, a trip in July, and Halloween Weekends). I'm committed to the season pass now, since I've already purchased my HWN ticket at the season pass rate, but I'm wondering if I'm going to regret it.

^^ To me, that feels like she's signing off. I don't know how to describe it. Like, if you put your heart and years of your life into your dream, only to have your family argue over who's in charge of it and who's making the money off of it, wouldn't you be a little put out? And then add the fact that your dream is successful because people believe you're not out to grab money. That's Pat Koch right now. She's got a reputation for being hardworking, and she's avoiding appearing in anything related to the park. To me, that says she's tried what she can, and she is not proud of the results. It's like trying to resolve things between two people shouting at each other with their hands over their ears.

If it were anyone else in the company, I wouldn't mind as much. When it's one of the biggest pillars of the essence of Holiday World declining to associate herself with the place, then I'm concerned about its future.

• Like 6

If Dan wins his appeal, I suspect there will be major changes. Then again, Lori is apt to appeal. A quiet settlement would be best for all concerned. I doubt that happens, though.

From one legal beagle to another Terpy, word around the Indy legal communiy is that once the COA decision comes out, there will be renewed talks for a settlement, since there is a good chance the decision won't make anyone happy. An appeal to the Indiana Supreme Court can happen, but there isn't great hope the appeal would be heard.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

All loudspeaker announcements featuring Pat's voice were re-recorded. They also added an extremely strict bag search policy, and Mammoth's queue was slightly reconfigured such that there's now an extra, unused queue. (Future virtual queuing?)

• Like 1

Neither Pat nor her voice were at the park. The re-recorded announcements didn't feature Lori. (Didn't see her there, either.)

In general, there seemed to be less management walking around the park. I only interacted with one director all day. This can't be a good sign, at all.

• Like 3

The extreme gate security seemed very odd, especially for a park voted the friendliest. By midday, they had several bins full of confiscated food and beverages - on a day with very light crowds. If you're planning to sneak food in this season, think again!

I'd prefer that amusement parks not remind me of airports. At least there were no blue gloves.

• Like 3

Sounds like the Grinch has infiltrated Santa Claus Land. Never again for me until that detestable "Koch by name only" woman is gone..... provided that happens before the park fails. Id rather see Kinzel running the place than her, and those who know me know that is saying a LOT!!!!! She is going to dig DEEP into her pockets to receive any Golden Wallet awards this year, from the sounds of how they are running that place.

• Like 1

If the park were looking for threats to safety, it'd be commendable. But food? Really? This appears to be about profit.

As for announcements minus Pat, that may well be HER choice. If so, that is a drastic hint about her opinion on the park's/family's state. If it was Lori's or Matt's that's even worse.

• Like 2

If the park were looking for threats to safety, it'd be commendable. But food? Really? This appears to be about profit.

They were checking bags more thoroughly than before Haunt at Kings Island. Even my tiny camera bag was thoroughly searched upon re-entry. At times, there was a sizeable line at the bag check tables.

If these measures were necessary to prevent safety threats, it would indeed be commendable. Somehow, though, I get the impression it's control freak management instead of expert security consultants.

As a guest, I certainly don't want to look at several bins full of wasted food/drinks when entering the park, nor do I want to wait in a security line that's longer than it needs to be. Customer service needs to be a top priority, even for security.

• Like 3

One thing is clear from all the legal pleadings. Keeping the park in the family while paying off if Lori was required to sell was going to be a stretch for Dan. As things are now, Dan owns 40 percent while Will's estate holds 60. When and how the estate is to disperse its assets to the beneficiaries could affect the future of the park as well. If Lori prevails, what goes to her kids and when could drastically affect the park and family.

Pat's quite noticeable withdrawal from the park is at best very disturbing. She is a good woman, and a mother and grandmother. This all is just extremely sad.

• Like 6

I have no problem with the bag checks. It makes me feel safer. I've done it three times already and every single time they were very polite and nice about it.

And on a tangent, I'm surprised that mo one has mentioned it yet, but there is some strange construction going on where the Freedom Train is. (well it seems to no longer be.) They gutted the whole ride and there is no longer any tracks and they are removing all the statues. There is also a ton of survey markers everywhere over there. The best view of the digging can be from the highway right across from Holidog Funtown. I shall post some pictures later.

• Like 1

I wonder if everyone attending HoliWood Nights were to wear a T-Shirt that said Dan's The Man would Lori deny entry or make them change? That or just not going would be a way to show support for keeping family in Holiday World. There's plenty of "We Back Pat" shirts down here in Knoxville different lady though but definitely as good of a woman.

• Like 4

"During off-season maintenance this past year, it was discovered that the Freedom Train needed restoration work for it to safely operate in the future. We are currently researching options for the train’s future here at Holiday World and will post updates about both trains here on the HoliBlog."

That's PR spin for "We have already discovered its going to cost more to restore this train than precious profit/return will allow, but we already have too many PR problems to admit that right now, so enjoy the memories you had on the Freedom Train".

• Like 3

I wonder if everyone attending HoliWood Nights were to wear a T-Shirt that said Dan's The Man would Lori deny entry or make them change? That or just not going would be a way to show support for keeping family in Holiday World. There's plenty of "We Back Pat" shirts down here in Knoxville different lady though but definitely as good of a woman.

None of the coaster clubs would allow their members to wear such a shirt into the event, because of the negative effects it would have on their clubs. GREAT thought, but just not feasible.

• Like 1

"During off-season maintenance this past year, it was discovered that the Freedom Train needed restoration work for it to safely operate in the future. We are currently researching options for the trains future here at Holiday World and will post updates about both trains here on the HoliBlog."

That's PR spin for "We have already discovered its going to cost more to restore this train than precious profit/return will allow, but we already have too many PR problems to admit that right now, so enjoy the memories you had on the Freedom Train".

You called it. And now it's official:

http://www.insideindianabusiness.com/newsitem.asp?ID=59588

Like much bad news, announced on a Friday before a long weekend.