Best Cedar Fair kids coaster?

jscorpion82

Looking at getting a platinum pass. My son is 4 years old and 42" tall. He loves KI's woodstock express. I'm looking at going to KD and CP maybe a few more. Are there kids area's/roller coasters as good as KI's? Want to make sure the platinum pass would benefit me.

If you going to KI,KD,and CP multiple times? Get the platinum!!!

I've only seen 4 Cedar Fair kiddie areas: Cedar Point, Kings Island, Kings Dominion (in 2010), and Michigan's Adventure. (If you individually count each kiddie area at Cedar Point, then that number's higher. But you get my point.)

Personally, I find KI's and KD's to be the best in terms of variety and quality, though fairly similar, with KI having a slight edge. Of course, my experience in Kings Dominion's was three years ago, and it's getting a huge addition this year. I'd wager that, if your son enjoys KI's Planet Snoopy, he'll probably like Kings Dominion's version, though I don't know how much variation there will be between the two with the new expansion. Your mileage may vary, and you may want to check out what they have and what they will be getting to make your own judgement. (From a coaster nerd perspective, you'll get airtime on their version of Woodstock Express in the last row, which is awesome, haha.)

Cedar Point's kids' areas are good and have the benefit of being spread across the park, but it doesn't feel like there's much to them to me. (Then again, checking out the kiddie areas has never really been a focus of any Cedar Point trip for me.) The benefit with CP is that there also are kid-friendly rides mixed through the rest of the park, too (e.g. Ocean Motion, Jr. Gemini, maybe Wave Swinger, etc.), but the dedicated kid areas don't seem to have much more than several versions of the same sit-in-a-row-of-cars-that-travel-in-a-circle-and-honk-the-horn ride. That's not always the case, of course, but I feel like I might have gotten bored with the kid areas if I were a child participant. Again, it's what your son likes and what the park lists on its website; this is just my $0.02.

Michigan's Adventure's, like much of the rest of that park, is a quintessential representation of Kinzel's Cedar Fair: a ton of bland concrete and not much else. Zach's Zoomer is a decent CCI remake of the Woodstock Express layout, but it's the only thing that stands out in my memory as noteworthy about the kiddie area. They have electric cars for the kids, but they're nothing exceptional compared to CP's versions. The Falling Star could be fun for the family, but I'm not sure if it's still there. They're getting a set of

for 2013, which I vividly remember as one of my favorite rides when I was around your son's age, but I don't know if that justifies driving to The Middle of Nowhere, Michigan (a 7-hour drive for me.) I'd sooner drive to Stricker's Grove or Holiday World for them than revisit MA, because the grown-up rides there didn't do much for me, either.

Whatever you decide, I hope you and your family have fun! :)

• Like 1

If you have gold passes from last year, renewing now for $90 each (vs. $169 for platinum) could be your best value unless you are planning at least two trips to other Cedar Fair parks. Price out your options, including individual admission tickets, parking, and gasoline.

If you choose gold instead of platinum, one benefit is that you're not locked into Cedar Fair-owned parks for your road trip(s). You might consider visiting Dollywood or Holiday World, for example. (Both are significantly closer to Cincinnati than the other Cedar Fair parks, excluding Cedar Point.)

• Like 1

If you only have one child and you can afford the platinum and to travel,i would go for it! I remember those days and now i purchase several passes so im pretty much locked into one park anymore.Im still debating on another season at KI or a bit farther drive to CP? I might even just get platinum for me and the boss,just to sneak off from the kids every now and then! ;) Ofcourse i would still get the kids their gold!

We always get Platinum. Cedar Point is well worth the trip, especially if you're staying a couple days or more. It's a bit different than King's Island, though. You walk in, ride a couple roller coasters (Gatekeeper and Raptor.. maybe Wicked Twister. WindSeeker sits there too), hit Snoopy land on the right, WALK, ride Mantis and Millennium Force, WALK, hit some water rides in Frontierland, then either cut through to the second Snoopy land, or ride Maverick and Mean Streak first... then WALK, ride Gemini, Magnum, Top Thrill Dragster, then Power Tower... then start all over again. Everything is spaced out and you will do ALOT of walking, but it's a killer place to go... especially for the roller coaster freaks. King's Island has a better kids' area, but Cedar Point makes up for it by having more than one. So, even though everything is spaced out so badly, they throw alot of stuff in along the way... for adults AND kids.

CP has four different kids areas in the park. Kiddy Kingdom (Oldest area, Originally Kiddie Land.) located in between the midway games and Coliseum. Planet Snoopy (newest) located on the opposite side of the coliseum behind the pagoda. Jr Gemini area, located by Gemini. Finally, Camp Snoopy which is located near Paddle Wheel Excursions (Dinosaurs Alive).

Jrock78, there is no Frontierland at CP, Shoot the Rapids 2 and Thunder Canyon are located on Frontier TRAIL, as SRF, Maverick and Mean Streak are located in Frontier TOWN. Also avoid walking, use the CP&LE RR and Sky Ride. Other than that welcome to KIC!

We always get Platinum. Cedar Point is well worth the trip, especially if you're staying a couple days or more. It's a bit different than King's Island, though. You walk in, ride a couple roller coasters (Gatekeeper and Raptor.. maybe Wicked Twister. WindSeeker sits there too), hit Snoopy land on the right, WALK, ride Mantis and Millennium Force, WALK, hit some water rides in Frontierland, then either cut through to the second Snoopy land, or ride Maverick and Mean Streak first... then WALK, ride Gemini, Magnum, Top Thrill Dragster, then Power Tower... then start all over again. Everything is spaced out and you will do ALOT of walking, but it's a killer place to go... especially for the roller coaster freaks. King's Island has a better kids' area, but Cedar Point makes up for it by having more than one. So, even though everything is spaced out so badly, they throw alot of stuff in along the way... for adults AND kids.

^^ agree! We *always* spend a few days up there - a week is even better. We've gotten so spoiled at KI in terms of lines (or the lack thereof). If anyone recalls when The Beast line had 4 queue houses and stretched to where Stunt Track is now (pawprints on the ground and all) - CP often has actual lines, so one day just isn't enough, you just have to plan around it!

• Like 1

No doubt, Oldie. The lines at KI used to be insane! I remember waiting almost 4 hours for WWC when it first opened, and like 3 hours for Top Gun. That soundtrack still haunts me!

Man, Phantom got all technical on me! Frontier land, Frontier trail, Frontier town... I'm sure he gets the idea lol. You're right, though. And thanks!

We actually got off topic. Cedar Point has a couple kiddie coasters. Woodstock Express is probably the best one. Jr Gemini only lasts like 40 seconds, but the kids seem to like it. I'll always think The Beastie (Woodstock Express) at KI is the best kiddie coaster in the world, though.

• Like 2